Your first LP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
    First lp was Billy Joel's An Innocent Man. I may only have been 7, but that's Hobbesian wrongness.

Musical Youth was my first single (not the famous one) but. That's pretty cool in comparison to the piano twiddling wankery of Joel.
    An Innocent Man is a good album. If you want a Billy Joel album as your first LP, you can do much worse than that.

The first LP I bought was a Bay City Rollers album. I used to be embarrassed by that, but not anymore.

Comment

I think I have you all trumped on embarrassing.

The first album I bought was Dire Straits' Alchemy.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
        My first album - bought for me, I hasten to add - was Black Lace Party Party. I was 8 at the time, and attending a lot of birthday parties, I guess. Always the social butterfly.

The first one I bought was Def Leppard Hysteria.

Not sure to this day which one attracts least credibility.
        I'm guessing the Black Lace LP didn't include 'Gang Bang'. Maybe that was written specially for Rita, Sue and Bob Too. One of my favourite ever films and, I have to say, the song kills me every time too.

Comment

Paul Weller's Stanley Road, on cassette which I eventually discarded. I no longer own the album at all actually.

Comment

Summer 1974. I’d just discovered Radio Caroline, Fluff Freeman’s Saturday afternoon rock show, and started buying ‘Sounds’. On holiday in Bexhill. I came across a copy of Rick Wakeman’s ‘Journey To The Centre Of The Earth’ in the local Woolworths and persuaded my dad to give me an advance on my pocket money so that I could buy it. I played it to death on my parent’s old radiogram. My vinyl collection began in earnest that Christmas, with my own record player, ‘Dark Side Of The Moon’, Bo Hansson’s ‘Lord Of The Rings’, Barclay James Harvest’s ‘Everyone Is Everybody Else’, ELP’s ‘Brain Salad Surgery’ and Greenslade’s ‘Bedside Manners Are Extra’. Half a lifetime ago. That makes me both nostalgically happy and slightly sad.

Comment

Arrival was my first album too.

Comment

I think I was allowed this one because there were no naughty ladies on the cover, which those Hot Hits (mfp) albums usually had.

I was near the end of that generation who grew up with cover versions like this, and knew (or cared) little that it wasn't the real thing. To this day I feel the original "Lily the Pink" doesn't sound quite right, because I'd heard "my" copy a hundred times beforehand.

Comment

Like many above, for me it was those crap TOTP and similar compliations. Until something dropped

Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 02-08-2017, 09:44.

Comment

Cor, a life-size LP sleeve.

Comment

Originally posted by Gus McCrae View Post
                      Arrival was my first album too.
                      Moi aussi.

Comment

I genuinely don't remember. Probably nothing that good. It might have been Communique by Dire Straits, which would completely trump San Bernardhinault on the grounds of being a much more obscure Dire Straits album, bought around a decade after it's release. To be honest I don't think it was the first, more like one of the first few, but it's the one title that I remember buying.

One thing that is certain is the format - whatever the music was, it came on a CD. I've never owned anything on vinyl and only had a few cassettes.

I do remember what the first single I bought was. That is because it's the only single I ever bought, and came long after the first albums were acquired. Setting Sun by The Chemical Brothers, in case anyone is wondering. And I only bought it because it was in a remaindered bin at Woolworths. Purchasing music was never a major thing for me.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post

I think I was allowed this one because there were no naughty ladies on the cover, which those Hot Hits (mfp) albums usually had.

I was near the end of that generation who grew up with cover versions like this, and knew (or cared) little that it wasn't the real thing. To this day I feel the original "Lily the Pink" doesn't sound quite right, because I'd heard "my" copy a hundred times beforehand.
                          'Hit Hits'?

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                            I'm guessing the Black Lace LP didn't include 'Gang Bang'. Maybe that was written specially for Rita, Sue and Bob Too. One of my favourite ever films and, I have to say, the song kills me every time too.
                            Not to the best of my recollection, no. Mind you, as an eight-year-old I've have just learned all the words without knowing what they meant, like I did with Wig Wam Bam.
                            Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 02-08-2017, 12:49. Reason: Got the song wrong, innit?

Comment

Who's going to tell Toby what Sex Farm is really about?

Comment

Those twats needed to make up their minds. Either they were up in a cunting starship or they were down on planet fucking earth. They can't have it both ways.

Comment

I've just had to Google the lyrics to Wig Wam Bam. Just as I'd got over the shock of you lot ruining Turning Japanese for me (Ok, it was about 5 years ago, but it hurt) and now this!

Comment

First LP was Bad, bought with a record token given as a seventh birthday present by Rachel Branch. I wasn't much of a Jacko fan, it was just the biggest album in the world at that time.

First CD album I bought with my own money was The Way We Walk: Volume One by Genesis, just after Christmas 1992. There's no doubting who the coolest 11-year-old was at Bury C of E High School.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                      Who's going to tell Toby what Sex Farm is really about?
                                      Bothering livestock, IIRC.

Comment

Jefferson Airplane look down on the planet (or the New York part of it at least.)

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                          Bothering livestock, IIRC.
                                          What!?!

<goes to check lyrics>

Comment

The first 7" single I bought was Art of Noise's Close to the Edit, which had a voucher you could cut out of the rear of the sleeve to allow you to get 50p off their album. I subsequently bought my first album, Who's Afraid of the Art of Noise? at a discount, along with another copy of the single in order to replace the now-mutilated sleeve of my first one.

I got Trevor Horn's autograph on the back of the album sleeve later - he used a massive blue marker pen more suited to tagging London Underground rolling stock, and this fetched a few quid on eBay a few years ago (the vinyl, not the pen). I still have an unadorned version of the album in a collection even ZTT die-hards would consider 'very extensive indeed'...

Comment

But the sleeve is all in the same typeface so that it looks like Jefferson Starship Earth. But then they were probably fucked up on drugs, so I'm going to let it go now.

Comment

Ooh, like that episode of Dr Who where earth is being transported through space by a kind of giant whale thing. Or was it another planet?

I'm listening to it now as well. It's a respectable effort, right enough, though I think it would have been better without the vocals. Really liked the last two minutes of the opening track - could have done with more of that, noodling on and on.

Edit: Track 4, have had enough.
                                                Last edited by imp; 02-08-2017, 18:03. Reason: LIVE UPDATE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno
                                                  siding with the cops on that one
                                                  Facist pigdog!

Comment

The first proper album I bought was Glitter by Gary of the same name, of course. I wanted something else (probably Slade's then-current album) but the music shop didn't have it so I plumped for GG. It had Rock and Roll Parts I and II on it but I didn't use to play it much. It was on tape too, as most of my purchases were, but some reason I bought this on vinyl which makes it my first and possibly last such album:

Comment

Working...
                                                    X