Your first LP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your first LP

The revival of the Beatles' covers thread and the mention of Joe Cocker's version of 'With A Little Help From My Friends' reminded me of the first LP I ever got, discounting those ropey Top of the Pops cover version compilations. It was my ninth birthday (1974), and at my party a friend handed over this, a random compilation featuring songs from the aforementioned Cocker, The Move, Procol Harum and T Rex.

I was less than excited. I only bought singles, and then only singles by The Sweet, Slade or Gary Glitter. Of the four acts, I'd only ever heard of T Rex. I must have listened to it at some point, though. I couldn't stand Cocker's Beatles cover (while having no idea it was a Beatles cover), it was so overwrought. I loved 'Flowers in the Rain' by The Move, and the two T Rex tracks on side one. 'Jeepster' was the opening track, but I liked it so much that listening to 'Friends' and Procol Harum's 'Salty Dog' (just too bloody slow for a nine-year-old) was a real chore to get you through to 'Flowers' and 'By the Light of the Magical Moon'. (Wouldn't have been allowed to lift the needle on my Mum's record player on my own to skip the boring tracks.)

Looking at the track listing below, I can't recall any of the songs on side 2 apart from 'Conquistador'. It's possible I hardly played it, or just put it on, got bored and went outside to play football.

A1 –T. Rex Jeepster
    A2 –Joe Cocker With A Little Help From My Friends
    A3 –Procol Harum A Salty Dog
    A4 –The Move Flowers In The Rain
    A5 –Tyrannosaurus Rex By The Light Of The Magical Moon
    A6 –Joe Cocker Marjorine
    B1 –Procol Harum Conquistador
    B2 –Joe Cocker Delta Lady
    B3 –T. Rex One Inch Rock
    B4 –The Move Brontosaurus
    B5 –Joe Cocker Something's Coming On
    B6 –Procol Harum Homburg
    B7 –The Move When Alice Comes Back To The Farm

We've likely done it before, but what was your first LP?

Edit: And do you still have it? I destroyed this one - turned the sleeve inside out and defaced it with some mock LP of a band I was in during my teens. Relieved to see from Discogs that it's worth nowt.
    Last edited by imp; 01-08-2017, 12:14.

White Rock by Rick Wakeman, his soundtrack for the 1976 Winter Olympics film. I loved the Moog synthesizers on it and wasn't yet aware of the excesses of his more famous albums

Comment

Oddly I bought an LP (Abba's Arrival was the first) before I bought a single (um, Like Clockwork by The Boomtown Rats).

Comment

We may have done it before, but never mind. Mine was in 1976 (I was 11 or 12) and was Abba's original Greatest Hits. This was the one they added Fernando onto on the later versions like mine. Don't know where it ended up.

A
        SOS
        He Is Your Brother
        Ring Ring
        Hasta Maņana
        Nina, Pretty Ballerina
        Honey Honey
        So Long

B
        I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do
        People Need Love
        Bang-A-Boomerang
        Another Town, Another Train
        Mamma Mia
        Dance (While the Music Still Goes On)
        Waterloo
        Fernando

2, 4 and 6 on Side B I can't remember, but the rest pretty well.
        Last edited by Sits; 01-08-2017, 12:46.

Comment

Being the youngest of four most of my early listening was of my sister and two older brothers record collections, first of my own was the Boomtown rats "fine art of surfacing " as a Christmas present, loved it so much the next week I bought my first album it's predecessor "tonic for the troops ".Both of them should still be at home somewhere

Comment

Tonic For The Troops was about my fourth, bought around the same time as Parallel Lines. TFTT was pretty good from memory.

Comment

My parents bought a few albums for me and my brother to listen to (The Wombles, Grease soundtrack, that sort of thing) but the first one I bought myself was I Just Can't Stop It by The Beat, when I was ten. Looking at the release date, I must have got it a few months after it came out. It's upstairs, although I don't know how playable it is now.

Comment

School's Out by Alice Cooper...with the panties. Played the hell out of it.

Still have the LP, don't know what happened to the panties.

Comment

I'm not going to count my first ever LP purchase, which was this:

If my memory serves me correctly the next album I bought was this one:

Before either of these, though, I had already commandeered this from my parents and claimed it as my own:

Comment

First LP was Adam and the Ants' Prince Charming. Which I'm justly proud of, and defend my (?) eight year old taste in pestering my Dad until he bought it for me. It's still up at my Mum's somewhere, and I'd happily listen to it again if I owned a record player.

First LP that I bought for myself was Mr Mister's Welcome to the Real World. I am less proud of this.

Comment

I was rather late getting into music buying (made up for it after that as the couple of thousand records at my folks house bears testament).

The one I remember clearly is the cassette of Depeche Mode's Violator I bought. First band I saw live too. I feel I did pretty well.

Comment

Air - Twentyears

Before 2016, I didn't have a record player. So I bought loads of CDs before my first LP.

Comment

First vinyl I bought is tricky. It is going to be something like Ash 1977 or something like that.

Comment

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Tommy Vance played it in its entirety on the Friday Rock Show and I bought it the next day.

Comment

Prince Charming for me too. On cassette, which snapped eventually.

Comment

First album bought for me was either the Barron Knights' Greatest Hits or, an unofficial Star Wars soundtrack album that I remember we had hanging around the house, or maybe Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds. The first album I bought myself was Kings of the Wild Frontier.

Comment

Originally posted by Mumpo View Post
                                  First album bought for me was either the Barron Knights' Greatest Hits or, an unofficial Star Wars soundtrack album that I remember we had hanging around the house, or maybe Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds. The first album I bought myself was Kings of the Wild Frontier.
                                  The only vinyl records I had were the Tron soundtrack and the Annie soundtrack (I don't really like musicals, but I had a weird obsession with the Great Depression as a kid, to go along with my interest in cyberpunk).

Other than that, i only had cassettes.

Comment

1966, 12 yrs old, Fresh Cream. Still got it, looking as old as it's owner nowadays. I don't even own a turntable any more, so the vinyl shouldn't deteriorate.

Comment

If one excludes all the Hot Hits collections that I accumulated as a kid, the first vinyl proper would've been 10cc's The Original Soundtrack (1975). I did I believe have a couple of albums on cassette before this, one of which was by Suzi Quatro, and the other, Mott The Hoople.

(Obviously I've since acquired music that predates all of these.)

Comment

All the Hits by All the Stars on Pye Golden Guinea. The cheapest pop LPs available in the UK in 1962. Probably bought with Christmas or birthday money. It's a Cameo-Parkway comp and half the tracks were ignored (by me) at the time and remain so today (I still have my copy.) However the rest reflected my adoration of American commercial R&B and budding love of doo-wop. Dee Dee Sharp, The Orlons and especially The Dovells were so out there and unlike anything you heard on the BBC in those pre-pirate days it was like listening to music from another planet. Chubby's was the only name that meant anything in the UK, and I considered him tolerable but pretty meh. If you were skillful with the needle, the crap Bobby Rydell tracks at start and finish could easily be omitted, so overall I was a very happy clapper.

A1 –Bobby Rydell Volare
                                        A2 –Chubby Checker The Twist
                                        A3 –Dee Dee Sharp* Gravy (For My Mashed Potatoes)
                                        A4 –The Dovells Bristol Stomp
                                        A5 –The Orlons The Wah-Watusi
                                        A6 –Bobby Rydell Wild One
                                        B1 –The Dovells Bristol Twistin' Annie
                                        B2 –Chubby Checker Pony Time
                                        B3 –Dee Dee Sharp* Mashed Potatoe Time
                                        B4 –The Orlons I'll Be True
                                        B5 –Chubby Checker The Hucklebuck
                                        B6 –Bobby Rydell We Got Love

Comment

My first album - bought for me, I hasten to add - was Black Lace Party Party. I was 8 at the time, and attending a lot of birthday parties, I guess. Always the social butterfly.

The first one I bought was Def Leppard Hysteria.

Not sure to this day which one attracts least credibility.

Comment

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son was the first album I bought for myself.

They first one I had bought for me was the Ghostbusters soundtrack one Christmas - which has a couple of great tracks on it.

Comment

Good album, that.

Comment

First lp was Billy Joel's An Innocent Man. I may only have been 7, but that's Hobbesian wrongness.

Musical Youth was my first single (not the famous one) but. That's pretty cool in comparison to the piano twiddling wankery of Joel.

Comment

Madness - Absolutely

Side 1
                                                  Baggy Trousers
                                                  Embarrassment
                                                  E.R.N.I.E.
                                                  Close Escape
                                                  Not Home Today
                                                  On The Beat Pete
                                                  Solid Gone

Side 2
                                                  Take It Or Leave It
                                                  Shadow of Fear
                                                  Disappear
                                                  Overdone
                                                  In the Rain
                                                  You Said
                                                  The Return of the Los Palmas 7

14 songs, but the whole album is only 39:15. Singles apart, I can only vaguely remember the side 1 filler, and don't remember side 2 at all, apart from the Los Palmas 7.

I was 8, had my hair cut really short, and used to pull Chas Smash faces as well as doing that walk. I still only listened to the hits though.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X