Kids - and the bands they like - these days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kids - and the bands they like - these days

Today, elsewhere on the web, an 18-year-old introduced me to the band Crywank. They're actually okay. They seem to bill themselves as 'anti-folk', which somehow appeals to me. You can also buy their entire discography for £1:50 on Bandcamp, which is in itself endearing.

On the other hand, another 18-year-old also introduced me to The Front Bottoms and they're dreadful!

So... other terribly-named bands that the youth of today appear to like, then.

(Posted while drunk, so errr... up yer arse!)

Up yer arse are actually quite good.

Comment

The Front Bottoms were recently 'suggested' to me on Facebook. The name was enough to put me off any further investigation.

As a slight aside, this really does seem to be the era of terrible band names: King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard and Cigarettes After Sex come to mind - and also a US post-rock band to whom I've been listening of late called Balloons Kill Babies.

Comment

It's almost as if they feel compelled to name their band after whatever is right in front of them sometimes. I found out about a band called 'Shift Key' today!

Comment

https://www.bandnamemaker.com/generator/

"Aggressive Wanker and the Enslavement"

Comment

Heheh, that's a great toy SdR. Three functional if a trifle odd names for me on first go, plus the truly atrocious Lasting Patina And The Frequently Rooster. But sneaking in last among its quintet of offerings is the actual rather mighty Amish Striker.

Comment

Thread drift possibly, but I rather enjoyed nu-rave combo Does It Offend You Yeah? when they were active a decade or so ago.

Comment

Oh God, them. The band formed by Martin Rushent's kid, yes? Terrible name and logo, as I recall - perhaps the music was decent.

Cabbage. I like that as a name.

Comment

Is this a good place for an old man rant? Thing is, I know that people older than I am decry a lot of the music that I would have listened to as a youth (I bought albums by Kulashaker, Cast, and many compilations called Shine for example) but I was at a wedding at the weekend. The groom was a colleague of my wife, who is in his mid 20s.

The band they had were talented enough but their set list was aimed at the youngsters. And all the songs appeared to based on acoustic guitars going 'janga janga janga janga janga'. The oldies they played were Breakfast At Tiffany's (if that gives you the idea) and, oddly, Torn by Natalie Imbruglia. To me, everything basically sounded like variations on Whistle For The Choir or something like Scouting For Girls. Is this the basis for all chartable guitar music at the moment? It was totally undanceable to, as well.

Comment

Of what 'chartable guitar music' there is, then yes, probably.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                      The oldies they played were Breakfast At Tiffany's (if that gives you the idea) and, oddly, Torn by Natalie Imbruglia. To me, everything basically sounded like variations on Whistle For The Choir or something like Scouting For Girls. Is this the basis for all chartable guitar music at the moment? It was totally undanceable to, as well.
                      More for bellowing drunkenly along to rather than dancing, perhaps.

Comment

An erstwhile OTFer was the father of one of Shit Disco, if I recall correctly.
                        Quite good band, quite bad name.

Comment

Originally posted by evilC View Post
                          It's almost as if they feel compelled to name their band after whatever is right in front of them sometimes. I found out about a band called 'Shift Key' today!
                          Or whatever is right behind them as with the terrible Car Seat Headrest.

Comment

Yep, that's not great either.

Then there's Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever. But I'll concede to liking both them and their name.

Comment

Not 'bands' but the boy is 17 and into grupstep and dime music. I am quite pleased as I know and understand nothing about it so it gives me the opportunity the opportunity to shout out "Turn that noise down!", "Where's the tune?", "Why does he have to shout so much?" and "Why is he so angry?" in a proper dad way. A lot of my friends appear to be wanting their kids to like the music they listen(ed) to or close facsimiles to the point of taking them to gigs with them. I would have been mortified if my parents had done this and so would my son.

Anyway, I looked at a sample of what he went to see at NASS (there are, of course, no CDs in his room to peruse) and there are some corkers.

Dirty Dike
                              Inspekta Veg
                              Jay 0017 Presents: Cheese & Bread showcase
                              Chunky Bizzle
                              Devilman & Badness
                              Sox
                              Holly Flo Lightly

Comment

Weddings are shit

Comment

Never heard of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
                                    Or whatever is right behind them as with the terrible Car Seat Headrest.
                                    I thought you were kidding until I saw a gig poster in Manchester. I'm not one to wish death on specific people, but a good old rock and roll car crash would demonstrate the Universes bastard sense of humour.

Comment

I really like Car Seat Head Rest and have no problem with the name either, given they're a throwback Dinosaur Jr type slacker band.

Comment

Another tendency I've noticed recently is for bands to name themselves after whole genres, or even labels! Thus, you've got Bad Pop, Hip Hop*, Trance* and Factory Acts.

(* - Links pending when I'm not at work and struggling to overcome the obvious difficulties of conducting a successful web search for acts thusly named! The daft buggers!)

Comment

Working...
                                        X