No announcement yet.

Head injuries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd love to see a football match where you couldn't head the ball.

Any centre-half, faced with a high oncoming ball, would have to trap it with his foot. [Snigger]

Comment

John Urschel has abruptly decided to quit football to preserve his enormous brain.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...tires-abruptly

Comment

I would love to talk to him about this

There's no question that he can make a greater contribution to society off the field

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          I would love to talk to him about this

There's no question that he can make a greater contribution to society off the field
          I suspect a lot of players stay in the NFL because they can't bear they know that "real life" will be relatively boring and/or they want to make as much money as they can. But Urschel doesn't care much about money and isn't worried that he won't be able to get a good job after football that he really likes.

Comment

Though I would expect that he is very concerned about any dimunition of his cognitive abilities

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              Though I would expect that he is very concerned about any dimunition of his cognitive abilities
              Right. In the past he said he was willing to take the risk, but apparently his risk-benefit calculation has changed.

Comment

He mentioned yesterday that they are expecting a child in December, and it is easy for me to see that as changing his calculus completely.

Meanwhile, Canadian rugby international Jamie Cudmore's case against Clermont (in which he alleges the club forced him to play with concussions twice during the 2014-15 Heineken Cup campaign) has passed a significant hurdle, with the French court ordering that an independent neurologist render an opinion as to Cudmore's condition at the time and Clermont's application of the concussion protocol.

Comment

He also now qualifies for an NFL pension. Vesting pensions change all kinds of logic.

Comment

From what I've read of the man, that seems highly unlikely to be a motivating factor.

Comment

Poor man management at last night's Dublin derby, Shamrock Rovers centre back went down after clash of heads and was brought to dressing room to be stitched up and,presumably, assessed by the medical staff. Came back on a couple of minutes later and his first touch was to stumble around like a drunk and mis control the ball out for a throw in from which Bohs scored the winner. He was immediately taken off, rather than having any sympathy for him the Rovers manager shouted in his face and left him sitting on the bench rather than bringing him to hospital

Comment

Ex Wolves and Reading striker Kevin Doyle has retired on medical advice aged 34 after repeated concussions made heading the ball too dangerous, he has been suffering from repeated headaches in recent months. He was included in the latest Ireland squad for the games against Moldova and Wales

Comment

Heard about this terrible story on local radio this morning - the death of a young man at an unlicensed boxing match in Great Yarmouth.
                          http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-41569683

Comment

All 281 concussions from the NFL season set to music. Seriously difficult viewing, but essential, I think, for those of us who follow the NFL, and a bit of balance after all the superbowl hyperbole. There was (at least) one head injury in the superbowl, and it always strikes me as terrifying how quickly the game passes over such injuries (and how, afterwards, there are people on the internet queueing up to blame the player for getting hurt).

Here is an eloquent discussion of the video by two ex-football players (one of whom now seemingly boycotts the NFL) and the director. Very interesting how they tie the issue of concussions and the "controlled violence" of the sport into player protests and racism and Trump. Shaun King – the boycotter – questions whether the most violent hits and tackles are a necessary part of the spectacle, saying: "when I watched the game what got me excited was a breakout run where guys were juking in and out of holes. Like, all of that could still exist without the worst form of violence. And so what we’re dealing with is the key proposition is we insist it remain violent because it does make a lot of money this way." I've only ever played flag football, where athleticism and the chessboard stuff are more important than physical play. I'd have no problem watching an NFL where a ball-carrier can be stopped without being hit. What about the line though? It seems that head injuries accumulate in the scrimmage, rather than being the result of big one-off hits to the head. How can those be made more avoidable?

Comment

Get rid of helmets. Then the linemen wouldn't hit each other head on.

Comment

Working...
                              X