Stuart Maconie on the Jarrow March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuart Maconie on the Jarrow March

Bought on Friday and spent the weekend going over it.

By and large I'm a fan of Maconie's and how he makes complex times and events much more accessible to someone who, like me, doesn't benefit from being particularly high-minded. But as with a lot of his books, the editing really does seem to have been incredibly lax.

In Pies and Prejudice, he referred to Liverpool beating Inter Milan in the 2005 Champions League final. The People's Songs was filled with sundry other minor gaffes and now this seems to have just had someone press Spellcheck and consider the work of the editor done. It's not so much the little things that slip through, like the missing 'g' in Bigg Market, but writing about how the museum in Mansfield has a 'Made In Macclesfield' section that he then describes as being full of artefacts from Mansfield.

He writes about wanting to find a pub in which to watch Chelsea vs Liverpool on Sky on 23 October 2016. I took his word on this, it barely registering who Bury played over this weekend, never mind two of the biggest clubs in the country. Yet within a couple of paragraphs containing a reference to Pedro scoring for Chelsea, he's referred to 'the Sky Sports panel [beginning] a prolonged debate about Jose Mourinho who is pictured sulking, bottom lip thrust out like a toddler' and it dawned on me that Chelsea were actually playing Manchester United.

I like your work Stuart, but please - let's be a bit more careful, eh?

I find his writing style rather chippy and defensive. I also feel that his choice of stop-offs, like pubs and museums, is not particularly adventurous. It's not exactly The Road To Wigan Pier, where Orwell actually goes down the pit, or Paul Theroux, even Bryson.

But also, knocking out a book a year between doing radio shows is bound to produce shoddy work.

Comment

I quite like Stuart Maconie on the radio but from the half of Pies and Prejudice that I could be bothered to read there's definitely a consensus forming as to merits of his literary output.

Has anyone read Paul Morley's book on The North? I gave it someone as a birthday present last year and was wondering whether to give it a go myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
        I quite like Stuart Maconie on the radio but from the half of Pies and Prejudice that I could be bothered to read there's definitely a consensus forming as to merits of his literary output.

Has anyone read Paul Morley's book on The North? I gave it someone as a birthday present last year and was wondering whether to give it a go myself.
        I went to an event Morley did at Gorilla, promoting it, and I handed over a crisp twenty for the hardback book on the same night. I don't think I got beyond page 50. It's a very tough read.

Comment

I can imagine him over-eulogising, does he over-intellectualise as well?

Comment

He does. I've just picked it up off the shelf again and the bookmark I used was a train ticket bought in July 2013. It was positioned on page 87.

I know he's from there and everything but Stockport has 18 references in the index while Salford has ten. There's also the Maconieism that 'North' really only means 'North West' as Newcastle only has five entries.

I picked up All Points North by Simon Armitage in a cheap bookshop the other week and I'm looking forward to going through that more.

Comment

Morley wrote a good book on his father's suicide but his work since then has been pretentious overwritten bollocks. A favourite trick is to repeat the same phrase endlessly with a few variations. His Joy Division book is awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                Morley wrote a good book on his father's suicide but his work since then has been pretentious overwritten bollocks. A favourite trick is to repeat the same phrase endlessly with a few variations. His Joy Division book is awful.
                Paul Morley as David Peace as Bill Shankly? Paul Morley writing like David Peace writing like Bill Shankly? Paul Morley affecting the voice of David Peace affecting the voice of Bill Shankly? Paul Morley as David Peace as Bill Shankly?

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post

I picked up All Points North by Simon Armitage in a cheap bookshop the other week and I'm looking forward to going through that more.
                  Finished it today. Bloody loved it, and have spent a very enjoyable evening going through Armitage clips on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
                    Finished it today. Bloody loved it, and have spent a very enjoyable evening going through Armitage clips on YouTube.
                    It's one of my favourites. I've spent ages trying to work out the location of where the old couple are sat (I always assumed it was in Huddersfield, though it might not be) - presuming your copy has the same sleeve as mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Me Old Flower View Post
                      It's one of my favourites. I've spent ages trying to work out the location of where the old couple are sat (I always assumed it was in Huddersfield, though it might not be) - presuming your copy has the same sleeve as mine.

No, this one's mine.

Comment

Funnily enough, in All Points North, Maconie is spelled McConie. The image above is the reissue that came out at the same time as his Gigs book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gig-Life-Ti.../dp/0141021241

Comment

I'm reading Gig at the moment. Not as many laugh out loud bits as All Points North, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Comment

The prison passages are the best writing in the book, but also very sad; it's a darker, more melancholy book, I think, despite being advertised as humour.

Comment

In fact some of that writing is reflected here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...son-walls.html

Comment

Working...
                              X