No announcement yet.

Destroyed by their biggest hit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh come on Amor, don't sugar-coat it for us now. Tell us what you really think...

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
      Well, Terrorvision and Tequila were suggested together in a post in this thread, which is about bands being destroyed by their biggest hit. So Auntie Beryl was saying it, yes.

Vincent is a wondrous song, I much prefer it to American Pie and it's sort of fitting it was the one that made the top of the UK charts. Don McLean also had a Number One with Crying in 1980-ish, one of the few voices that could do a Roy Orbison classic justice.
      Okay - we may be at cross-purposes as regards Terrorvision: your post seemed to suggest that you were using 'break' in the sense of 'make them known/popular' rather than 'destroy' the band (which of course is what the thread is about). Oh - read it back, you'll see what I mean...

Sorry Amor, but Vincent is a fine tune - and about as un-pompous as a tribute could be. So what if others could/would have told him? They didn't write a song about it - or if they did, it doesn't seem to have lasted the course. (VA is also correct than McLean was among the very few that could do justice to The Big O.)
      Last edited by Jah Womble; 21-07-2017, 10:01.

Comment

Do the Barcelona Tourist Board regret hiring Freddie Mercury for their Olympic anthem - by all accounts the most successful ever, but so much so that they're actually trying to reduce visitor numbers now?

Comment

Do you think that song is the reason people go?

Comment

They set that big fountain display off every night with a rousing rendition of it, so I doubt they regret it. Somehow Freddie seems to fit the Barcelona mood, alongside Gaudi and Dali and that.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
              Do you think that song is the reason people go?
              Well not exactly, but it was emblematic of the whole Olympic makeover that kickstarted the surge.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                Okay - we may be at cross-purposes as regards Terrorvision: your post seemed to suggest that you were using 'break' in the sense of 'make them known/popular' rather than 'destroy' the band (which of course is what the thread is about).
                Ahh, I see what you're getting at Jah. It was Snake who said Tequila didn't "break" them, and reading it back it's ambiguous which sense he was using the word in – so it may be best to refer that one back to Mr Plissken.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                  Well not exactly, but it was emblematic of the whole Olympic makeover that kickstarted the surge.
                  But... Oh forget it. I never know if anything you say is actually serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Excitable_Boy View Post
                    Smash Mouth and All Star - if only for their continuing battle to distance themselves from Shrek because of it
                    Yeah. But they would never have been on anyone's radar without that opening sequence in Shrek.

Comment

Nice to see we have a few people on here who are also deeply acquainted with the mighty Terrorvision.

Comment

The Rembrandts: I'll Be There For You

They tried to release an album but no one liked all their songs that weren't the Friends theme tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                          The Rembrandts: I'll Be There For You

They tried to release an album but no one liked all their songs that weren't the Friends theme tune.
                          I can mail it to you if you like. Please?

Comment

Hey! Terrorvision are pride of Bradford, along with NMA.

I always associate All Star with Mystery Men as I saw that before I saw Shrek. Now there's a film. A good comic book movie during a time when they were a rarity (comic book films not good ones as that's still uncommon)

Comment

Mystery Men is a great film. Well I'm not sure actually as it was a long time ago that I watched it. All Star was also in a film called Rat Race with John Cleese and Rowan Atkinson. The band were in the film too. That song got around.

Comment

Rat Race was quite funny, IIRC. Not a patch on Cannonball Run, obvs, but still enjoyable.

Comment

Didn't 'Nellie The Elephant' alienate much of the Toy Dolls' existing fans, or is that a myth?

Comment

(The) Verve
                                    Carl Douglas

Right about Tommy Shaw. He went on to work with Ted Nugent. Styx staged "Mr. Roboto" at some Texas outdoor rawk festival. They lasted 5 minutes and could have been killed.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                      Didn't 'Nellie The Elephant' alienate much of the Toy Dolls' existing fans, or is that a myth?
                                      The B side is a thing of joy.

Comment

Toronto band The Kings were ruined by their very first single - This Beat Goes On / Switching To Glide - being a massive FM radio hit. Apparently nothing they did afterward ever impressed their label, nor the listening public apparently. You can still reliably hear it at least three times over a long weekend. (I ALWAYS turn up the volume, I say without shame...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxkjvKBPQjo

(The video is cool....shows them playing the song, live, over the past 40 years. Including the late, lamented Ontario Place Forum)
                                        Last edited by WOM; 17-05-2018, 19:21.

Comment

Elvis Presley.

Erm, I think I misread the topic title...

Comment

Working...
                                          X