No announcement yet.

Patrick's Pledge to Participate in Sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I had a garmin which was shit and I got zero help from the company when I complained. Never again.

Now I have a Microsoft Band 2 which is OK. Strap's a bit knackered and the battery life when the GPS is on is a bit rubbish (and you can't swim with it, which is a downside)

Comment

I have a Garmin F235 which is working out quite well. I have an old fitbit but got frustrated with its build. I believe the Polar has among the best optical HR. It really depends what you want from it - DC Rainmaker does some good updates on what is out there (though goes in crazy detail).

I find the Garmin app is a bit tricky to use but is good to get the data out into something more useful. I went Garmin as they integrate better with other things (Polar seems very insular).

Comment

I might add - the Garmin got through a tough mudder fine (underwater in lakes and freezing water) though it got scratched up a little because it isn't a sapphire face. Doubt I would ever pay up for that though - the update cycle on these things is crazy right now I will buy the bare minimum that does what I am looking for.

Comment

I updated the Garmin software once and it wiped out all the previous data online. Then the strap broke and, as ad hoc found, they wouldn't replace it. With Polar, the software has never worked - contacted them, took their advice and updated, deleted it and re-loaded it multiple times, with the same result every time. Got fed up and gave up. Now I can only re-charge it if I twist the strap at a weird angle. The watch works, so I get data for individual running sessions, then just delete it after every run (it always tells you there's no space left - another annoyance).

Looked at Fitbit Charge 2 today, but they only had it in turquoise. I like all the sleep, calorie and steps data. My sleep is fucked these days and I suppose I think analysing that might help me find a solution. Or I could try getting something from the doctor, but I try to avoid medication unless I'm really ill.

Comment

OK - new thing...

Sport: Gym workout
            Venue:*Local Council Leisure Centre
            Cost:*£5.40 plus £1 refundable locker deposit
            Equipment:*shorts, t-shirt, trainers
            Time: 6.30pm
            Achievement:*Tried a number of scary looking machines without getting tangled in them.
            Ability:*I had help from a friend who is a sports science grad PE teacher who guided me through all the equipment. I did OK.
            Exercise level:*pulse and heart rate up when I was on the machines. Short intense bursts.
            Duration:*we were in there a good hour.
            Post-exercise mood:*Feel alright.
            Social aspect:*I was there with my friend and his dad (who is also a friend) but can't imagine going on my own. Everyone who was there solo looked sad.
            Repeatability:*I'm not saying I'll never go again but without a gym buddy to talk to, I don't think so. Maybe if it was a nicer facility I would go, so I might look at other gyms.

Comment

Gym report update: arms/ shoulders a bit achey but not as painful as anticipated.

Comment

Swimming this morning. 20 lengths. Managed to do a couple of them with less than 40 strokes. Thursday is another quiet day.

This is my 4th week in a row ie a month, which I think means pebblethefish is honour bound to get down his local pool.

Comment

You'll have lost some weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                    This is my 4th week in a row ie a month, which I think means pebblethefish is honour bound to get down his local pool.
                    I was so hoping no one was going to remember that...

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                      I was so hoping no one was going to remember that...
                      It kept me going. It would have been really easy to miss this week. Lots of excuses! But I knew the gauntlet had been laid down...

Comment

The week before last I weighed and I've lost 1.5 kg. I didn't go swimming that week because I was away.

I went swimming again on Thursday but struggled to find my stroke. I can do a length in 40 strokes now but I really struggled coming into it.

Following the conversation on the giving up sport thread I looked up footgolf and am trying to get some people interested in a round on Saturday morning. I reckon if there were 2 or 3 of us it could be fun.

Comment

Footgolf booked for Saturday. I will report back.

Comment

Swimming this morning. Felt much happier with my stroke. 20 lengths. Managed one in just 36 strokes, a new PB.

Comment

Patrick's Public Pledge to Participate in Sport: Third Report

Sport: Footgolf
                              Venue: Newly installed course on a 9 hole pitch and putt next to a fairy tale castle
                              Cost: £7.00 pp plus £5 refundable deposit on a football.
                              Equipment: Trainers NOT boots. They were very clear about this. And leisure wear. I wore shorts and a t shirt.
                              Time: 10am
                              Achievement: I was last out of 5. The course record is 33. I scored 62.
                              Ability: Rubbish. The first three holes were deceptively ok. Doable in 3 or 4 kicks. But then the holes were uphill or on the side of a steep slope and gravity is an unforgiving git in footgolf. There is a max kick limit of 10. I maxed out a couple of times.
                              Exercise level: It was a nice walk around a golf course and some kicks of a football.
                              Duration: An hour and a bit.
                              Post-exercise mood: Upbeat.
                              Social aspect: Very social. Went with 5 friends, 4 playing and one who didn't play because of injury but acted as scorer. It was an enjoyable laugh.
                              Repeatability: We all said we'd like to do it again but there's another footgolf course nearby that's a bit flatter so we will probably go there.

Comment

My leg hurts now

Comment

Hills are the absolute bane of footgolf. Did I mention that on the other sports thread? There's one hole on the course I have played twice with a massive side-slope and there's literally no way you can avoid picking the ball out of the shrubbery next to the creek unless you stay on the dirt road next to the creek and play it as a dog-leg.

Comment

They had this little fence to stop it rolling. All 5 of us ended up on the fence so we agreed we could move it out a couple of feet to actually kick the ball.

There's a flatter course so we will give that a go next time.

Comment

Swimming this morning. Water was cold. Pool less crowded than expected for a Tuesday. Did one 34 stroke length. Also did double lengths for the first time, turning round at thd end without stopping.

I feel I am improving. I don't ache as much afterwards.

Comment

First time swimming in a month due to work/ cold / being away. Did 20 lengths in half an hour which was good. Several sub-40 stroke lengths.

It was really dark today driving to the pool. And a bit rainy.

Comment

Exercising is always tougher in winter, because of short days, cold and rain.

Comment

I kept up the swimming most weeks before Christmas but haven't been yet in 2018. I might try and go this week if I have a suitable day.

Comment

Working...
                                            X