• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
    Only one answer to this:

Do the Crusher — The Novas

Edit: Missed Giggler's comment upthread
    I won't take offence. Unlike most Rochdale fans I've no particular ill feelings towards bury though custom dictates I must nonetheless accord them a little 'b'

Comment

Originally posted by Cal Alamein View Post
      NRBQ had Capt. Lou Albano as their manager.
      Captain Lou - NRBQ
      Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
      Lou also starred in (and more pertinently for the purposes of this thread, sang the ending theme for) The Super Mario Bros. Super Show.
      Capt. Lou also starred in Cyndi Lauper's video for Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, playing her father, after they first met on a plane and hit it off. She ended up a big part of the "Rock'N'Wrestling Era" of WWF in the mid-'80s, which saw Cyndi appear on the album in Stumpy's post up the page and turn up at the first WrestleMania seconding Wendi Richter (bottom right, below). Also present on that occasion were Liberace and Muhammad Ali. Surely nowhere else on earth could this kind of combination be photographed together:

Comment

Kendo Nagasaki was the subject of Kendo's Theme by Lloyd Ryan's Express. His surname also appears in a single by Crass.

A Fine Romance, lyrics by Dorothy Fields, hugely popular in 1936, rather boldly for the time uses wrestle to mean shag.

Kung Fu was a famous wrestler at the time Kung Fu Fighting was Number 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
          I won't take offence. Unlike most Rochdale fans I've no particular ill feelings towards bury though custom dictates I must nonetheless accord them a little 'b'
          Wahey! The irony is, I used to really like Exceedingly Good Pies and always used to buy it from Sportspages when the two were in different divisions, meaning I wouldn't be going to Spotland.

Comment

Aye it was always a good read. A pity then that the editor was a member of the BNP. Only in Rochdale!

Meanwhile in Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Again) Sly sings, "We began to wrestle, I was on the top" presumably in the sexual sense Satchmo mentions upthread.

Comment

Pretty sure Cyndi Lauper also acted as a wrestling promoter before her singing career - or at least had some involvement in the 'sport'. (Her one-time partner Dave Wolff certainly did.)

(Insane Clown Posse also founded their own wrestling federation - so I've just read.)

Wrestling-related albums/songs:

Half Nelson Groop Dogdrill
              Gorgeous George Edwyn Collins
              Beat the Champ The Mountain Goats

Man On the Moon - REM (Andy Kaufman was of course a sometime wrestler)
              The Crusher - Ramones
              Wrestlers - Hot Chip
              El Scorcho - Weezer
              Ric Flair - Killer Mike
              PragVEC at the Melkweg - HMHB (references Johnny Kwango - and they have several others)
              The Bottom Line - Belvedere (about Stone Cold Steve Austin)

Comment

Fat Lady Wrestlers by the Happy Mondays isn't really about wrestling.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
                    Gah! I need to put my head in a bucket.

Comment

Last edited by caja-dglh; 18-07-2017, 14:37.

Comment

Remember watching Adrian Street and his ilk on a Saturday aft, patiently awaiting those elusive football results.

He always looked to me like that forgotten member of The Sweet deemed too unattractive for public airing.

Comment

I read this thread yesterday and thought I had nothing to contribute, but I've just remembered there's an Argentine rock nacional band called Sumo. Contemporaries of Soda Stereo, who you're all far more likely to have heard of (but aren't very wrestly).

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                            Remember watching Adrian Street and his ilk on a Saturday aft, patiently awaiting those elusive football results.

He always looked to me like that forgotten member of The Sweet deemed too unattractive for public airing.
                            He's self-penned seven separate autobiographical episodes, all available on Amazon Kindle. Just by reading the bits available on 'Look inside', one can see that he's a very interesting character.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Haystacks 'really' looks as if he wants to be there...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
                                          He's self-penned seven separate autobiographical episodes, all available on Amazon Kindle. Just by reading the bits available on 'Look inside', one can see that he's a very interesting character.
                                          They're great, they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                            It was always exciting on those occasional Saturdays when it'd be from Bury to get the bus into the town centre and see the TV trucks lined up Bolton Street, getting ready for that afternoon's broadcast from the Castle Leisure Centre. A quarter of sports mixture from Gosling's on the inside market, a quick pop into my grandad's shop and home in time for Saint and Greavsie and beefburgers and chips before one of those first visits to Gigg.

No, I've just got something in my eye.

Comment

I believe Jackie "Mr. TV" Pallo released a record in the sixties. Don't remember hearing it.

Comment

Working...
                                              X