Wrestling in songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrestling in songs

Unbeknownst to me, Hulk Hogan released two LPs in the mid-90s.

Gorgeous George by Luke Haines features the verse "Bomber Pat Roach said on the coach/We'll bring bloody mayhem/When we hit the big time/At Wolverhampton civic hall"

http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/3530822107859460690/

Comment

Luke Haines did an entire LP devoted to British wrestling.

Comment

"African Punch and Judy show at half the price
        A hundred thousand watch Giant Haystacks in a Bombay fight"

Me and Stephen Hawking by the Manics from Journal for Plague Lovers.

Comment

Anything by Big Daddy Kane.

Comment

Currently available for about 1€ on Discogs

Comment

This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvBN3C2wepY by The Novas, also covered by The Cramps.

Comment

REM's Man In The Moon, twice over:
                Mott the Hoople and the Game of Life (yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah)
                Andy Kaufman in the wrestling match (yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah)
                Monopoly, twenty-one, checkers, and chess (yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah)
                Mister Fred Blassie in a breakfast mess (yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah)

Andy Kaufman used to wrestle women during his stage act and had a much-publicised 'feud' with Jerry "The King" Lawler (great Memphis wrestler and promoter and later WWF/E commentator) including a famous violent altercation on David Letterman's show, only revealed to be staged by Jim Carrey at the time of the Man In The Moon film.

Around the same time (1983) Kaufman also starred in the film My Breakfast With Blassie along with legendary old-time wrestling villain and manager "Classy" Freddie Blassie. And Blassie, who notoriously used to file his teeth in interviews during his in-ring career then bite opponents, released his own album I Bite The Songs in that same year.
                Last edited by Various Artist; 17-07-2017, 11:50. Reason: Formatting schmormatting

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                  Unbeknownst to me, Hulk Hogan released two LPs in the mid-90s.
                  I still remember him charting a minor hit with comedy-rockers Green Jelly in 1993, a cover of I'm The Leader Of The Gang (I Am). Look it up on YouTube, if you dare.

Comment

Billy Corgan was recently President (on-screen) and behind the scenes creative at TNA.

Comment

She’s the main man in the office in the city
                      And she treats me like I’m just another lackey
                      But I can put a tennis racket up against my face
                      And pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki
                      HMHB - Everything's AOR

Comment

Isn't the answer to this Slam Jam? Have you all managed to forget that Slam Jam actually happened, because I think Slam Jam will stay with me forever.

Slam Jam.

Last edited by Kevin S; 17-07-2017, 13:04.

Comment

It was the 77th best selling single in the UK in 1992.
                          http://www.uk-charts.top-source.info/top-100-1992.shtml

Right up there with Dr Spin and the theme music to Tetris.

Comment

Carter USM had an album-only rack called "Is Wrestling Fixed?" And there surely must be a rapper called Big Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                              Isn't the answer to this Slam Jam? Have you all managed to forget that Slam Jam actually happened, because I think Slam Jam will stay with me forever.

Slam Jam.

"Ah'm the Briddish Bulldawg - and yer goin' doooowwwwwnnn" has stayed with me ever since I heard it on Hits 93 too.

Comment

Only one answer to this:

Do the Crusher — The Novas

Edit: Missed Giggler's comment upthread
                                Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 17-07-2017, 18:02.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                  Carter USM had an album-only rack called "Is Wrestling Fixed?" And there surely must be a rapper called Big Daddy?
                                  There was an 80s group called Big Daddy. I remember they did a doo-wop version of Dancing in the Dark.

Comment

Chris Jericho has just finished an European tour with his band, Fozzy.

The List of Jericho was one of the funniest things WWE has done in years.

Comment

NRBQ had Capt. Lou Albano as their manager.

Captain Lou - NRBQ

Comment

My younger brother had the Big Daddy annual one year and if he got as far as having an annual he must surely have knocked out a cash-in single or two as well. He presented a Saturday morning kids show in the Tiswas/Swap Shop slot for a while too, which seems bizarre in retrospect.

Comment

U2 - Bullet the Blue Sky
                                          "Jacob wrestled with the angel. And the angel was overcome."

Referencing an Old Testament Bible story

Comment

My shit's fat, like a sumo, slamming dat ass
                                            Leavin your face in the grass

Insane In The Brain - Cypress Hill

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                              My younger brother had the Big Daddy annual one year and if he got as far as having an annual he must surely have knocked out a cash-in single or two as well.
                                              I was convinced Big Daddy put a single out. I even knew the title (Easy!). This turns out to be a false memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Cal Alamein View Post
                                                NRBQ had Capt. Lou Albano as their manager.

Captain Lou - NRBQ
                                                Lou also starred in (and more pertinently for the purposes of this thread, sang the ending theme for) The Super Mario Bros. Super Show.

This is gold, this is:

Comment

Did Jimmy Savile, Brian Glover or Pat Roach ever commit themselves to vinyl?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X