No announcement yet.

Get your coat if you don't get York owt - National League North 2017/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darlington manager Martin Gray is favourite to take over at York.

Comment

Gray has just resigned.

Comment

Gray takes over at York with Dave Penney as Sporting Director. A Sporting Director. At a 6th tier club. We are ridiculous.

Comment

Harrogate, who have won four in a row, move clear at the top after Salford lose at home. Northern League alumni Blyth and Spennymoor in 3rd and 4th, in better shape than Darlington, who were promoted to this level earlier than them. York 6th, which is a play-off place under this odd system.

Comment

Crazy week at Darlington, losing two sets of managers. We appear to have made ourselves spectacularly unpopular with them after taking Gray, which was a fairly clear case of tapping up, and subsequently a player (with one or two more to follow). Word is the fee for the player was £60k, which seems utterly absurd at this level. Oh well, it's not a popularity contest I suppose, and we've lost plenty of players/managers in equally frustrating circumstances down the years.

Comment

Salford City taking the piss once again.

Comment

Boston United lost 3-2 at home yesterday and the managers was resignation (from earlier in the week) was accepted. Boston in dire straits. Need to find someone to come in and steady the ship which has been sinking since Dennis Greene's tenure.

Comment

Darlington lose 3-0 at home. Starting to look like relegation possibilities.

Comment

Looks like Darlington intend to buy Reece Styche from us.

Comment

The fee has been agreed (though not disclosed as yet), with just personal terms to be agreed, though apparently those are far in excess of anything we could offer. They have also signed Luke Trotman and Greg Mills from Nuneaton, the same club they took their new manager from.
                      Basically all three signings have come about by Darlington wafting enough cash at the players to turn their head and persuade them to request a transfer.
                      I don't suppose the Darlo fans on here know where all these new-found riches have suddenly appeared from, do they? With the start they've made it would be unlikely they will win the title, so they are basically investing all this money in the hope of getting into the play-offs.

Comment

New owner at North Ferriby – the Allam progeny have handed the club over to a local football bloke (and ex-NFU player). They are apparently debt-free, but can't see this improving their stock greatly on the field, at least in the short term.

Comment

...and he's not messing about, the new Ferriby owner: confirmed on his first day he'd consider moving the team to North Hull, and on day 2 has sacked the manager.

Comment

The York City comedy roadshow keeps a-rollin' along... striker Gary Martin, at the club on a short-term contract between stints in Belgium and Norway, has had his contract terminated after turning out for his mates' Sunday League team, with footage of him and his Sunday teammates singing songs about how the York manager is a 'f***ing paedo and a nonce' being posted on Instagram. Seems like a smart chap.
                            Last edited by Jobi1; 28-11-2017, 11:09. Reason: Grammar

Comment

So goodbye and good luck to Andy Morrell. Did the best he probably could considering the budget he had to work with, but it had all started to get a bit stale and the football was not good to watch. Probably the right time to move on.

Comment

North Ferriby unsurprisingly become the first team in the top 6 levels in England to be relegated, despite a decent draw with Media City.

Comment

Darlington seem to have gone on a decent run, although I have not been following that closely. Running out of games, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post
                                    North Ferriby unsurprisingly become the first team in the top 6 levels in England to be relegated, despite a decent draw with Media City.
                                    Any idea if there's truth in the rumour that they're going to take a voluntary relegation to Step 5 next season?

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                      Any idea if there's truth in the rumour that they're going to take a voluntary relegation to Step 5 next season?
                                      There have been similar rumours several times over the last few years there, even with all the on-field success they were having. I'm not all that plugged into their comings and goings but I haven't heard anything to suggest there's any more truth in it this time than on previous occasions.

Such an odd situation they're in though, with this weird owner who is just desperate to have a team in another village in the Hull area (where I believe he owns a ground), and the residents of North Ferriby making it pretty clear they don't want a football team lowering the tone of their village, particularly not if they're playing at a level that means visits several times a year from hordes of ruffians from the likes of York, Boston and Stockport. I've been told in the past by fans that they reckon about 80% of NFU's supporters don't even come from or live in the village, so I'm not sure really how much objection or outrage there would be if they were to be franchised off to Dunswell, or stay put but drop down to a more humble level.

Comment

Breaking news from Bootham Crescent - http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/...om-roles-48404

McNamara and McGill step down with immediate effect.

Comment

There's a thread for that: https://www.onetouchfootball.com/sho...lterior-motive

Interesting to see how it will effect the playing side for the remainder of the season. Does off-field turmoil really affect on-field performance that much? I'm never sure how much of a difference it makes to players, unless they're being constantly told their jobs are under threat. Does give some a ready-made excuse if we fail to get promoted though I suppose.

Comment

A few big results at the top last night - Spennymoor's win at Harrogate and Salford's thumping of Blyth takes Salford back out of reach of Harrogate and Spennymoor back above Blyth and into the play-off places with a whole pile of games in hand. Brackley's big win actually keeps them in touch with top spot: with their games in hand they could technically overhaul Salford on goal difference as it stands. From potentially looking very cut and dried a month or so ago it could actually turn out to be an end of the season to rival the southern section in terms of excitement.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post
                                              There's a thread for that: https://www.onetouchfootball.com/sho...lterior-motive

Interesting to see how it will effect the playing side for the remainder of the season. Does off-field turmoil really affect on-field performance that much? I'm never sure how much of a difference it makes to players, unless they're being constantly told their jobs are under threat. Does give some a ready-made excuse if we fail to get promoted though I suppose.
                                              Judging by the posts at the top of this page, it would appear to be this one as well.

Comment

Play-off system is, erm, interesting. As I understand it, 7th could pip 2nd, who finished 20-30 points above them.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                  Play-off system is, erm, interesting. As I understand it, 7th could pip 2nd, who finished 20-30 points above them.
                                                  Yep, same system in all 3 National League division this season. No doubt it is generating a bit more excitement in terms of keeping more teams involved for longer, but it'll be interesting to see how magnanimous a second-placed finisher will be if they do indeed lose out to someone they've finished a huge number of points in front of. It is heavily loaded in the higher finishers' favour, particularly in the North/South divisions - the second-placed team will just have to win 2 home matches to go up, while the seventh-placed finisher would have to win 3 away matches. Obviously, these things are never as straightforward as that though...

Comment

7th-placed team parks the bus and nicks one. Or the 7th placed team was in a run of late season form whereas 2nd is reeling from having thrown away the title.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X