Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by imp View Post
    Baier showed him the 'wanker' gesture with about 15 minutes to go
    What, the proper 'wanker' gesture, with the thumb and forefinger and wrist movement? A German did that?

Or was it just the index-finger-to-the-temple thing? A bit shit, that is.

Comment

Baier tried to see Hasenhüttl after the game to apologise, but the Franchise coach refused to see him. "I was nit in the mood for an apology." Well, Hasenwichser, turns out that Baier's gesture was not an insult but a statement of fact.

Comment

imp, you lied. I see this season ending without a point.

Comment

Certainly provides some helpful context for the Arsenal result

Comment

Frankfurt were poor, Köln were just absolutely dire. The game got one goal more than it deserved.

Comment

Glorious team goal by Wolfsburg pegs Bayern back to 2-2 inside the last ten minutes of tonight's game. I hope highlights compilers show the whole thing - it began with a pinged ball from the 'keeper to Origi on halfway, and then Wolfsburg built from there.

Comment

I think it was more or less the anniversary of Lewandowski scoring those five goals in nine minutes against Wolfsburg.

Comment

But losing Neuer would be a blow to any team?

Comment

Meanwhile, Dortmund follow up their 5-0 versus Köln with a 6-1 versus Mönchengladbach. First Bundesliga goal conceded this season.

Comment

That was impressive to watch, though Mönchengladbach defended like stand-ins. I caught the last half hour of Frankfurt's defeat in Leipzig - they actually played well. This seems to be the pattern now for Eintracht - create chances and play decent football, we lose. Grind out a goal then play putrid, negative football - we win.

Comment

I'll repeat the question from the rolling TV thread here, as it's the appropriate thread for picking this sort of thing apart - how on earth have Kaiserslautern become this terrible?

Comment

And I will repeat my answer . . .

They've been in free fall for a couple of seasons.

Norbert Meier kept them up last season, but sold or alienated most of their best players. They fired Meier last week, but he clearly wasn't the only problem.

They are firmly rooted to the bottom of the table and will be six points away from safety after only eight matches barring a miracle comeback.

Comment

Presumably the malaise is deeper than just the bloke picking the team, whoever that may be this week? The commentary said they have had 15 permanent managers since the millennium. They look like an utter shambles tonight, that is for sure.

I still think of them as one of Germany's bigger clubs, an outfit of a similar scale to Leverkusen or Wolfsburg. Is that wildly out-of-date?

Comment

They still dominate that part of the country and averaged over 26,000 a game last season, so it isn't ridiculous at all.

How long it might last in the 3. Liga is a genuine question, though.

Comment

They've just had their arses handed to them in Berlin as well - 5-0 to Union.

I live in Lautern country and while the regional identification is still very much there (fan clubs in every village), far fewer people are going to matches as they are sick of the dross that has been served up over the last few years.

The club has had (and will continue to have) financial issues that go way back - dubious deals with local politicians, massive costs of upgrading the stadium for the World Cup 2006, the heavily a indebted town of Kaiserslautern bailing the club out in various ways as it is simply 'too big to fail'. And the usual story of thousands pissed away on deeply average players, and even more on paying off sacked managers.

People desperately want the club to do well. 45000 were there for the 2016-17 season-opener... and Hannover annihilated them. It's a while since the Betzenberg has been the fortress that used to scare opposition teams shirtless, and now they don't even open up the top tier, to try and save money and improve the atmosphere a bit. A long, sad decline that shows no sign of ending and will most probably end in relegation to the 3. Liga.

Comment

Lautern are traditionally much bigger than Wolfsburg and Leverkusen, at least in terns of reputation. They made up the core of the 1954 World Cup winning side, and were founding members of the Bundesliga, avoiding relegation until the 1990s. They never were a giant like Bayern or Hamburg, but they were a fixture. I've never really liked them, but it's quite sad what has become of them.

Comment

Originally posted by JVL View Post
                                    It's a while since the Betzenberg has been the fortress that used to scare opposition teams shirtless
                                    Did they paint their numbers on their backs?

Comment

Ha. The perils of autocorrect.

Now have an image of Lautern's kitman insisting that visitors play 'skins'.

Comment

I still have Kaiserslautern hatred after they fixed their UEFA cup tie against us by paying off referee Joel Quiniou back whenever it was that we actually made it European competition. The fact that they are struggling now does give me some pleasure, and as the team they robbed back then has managed to go down to the third division (twice) since then, I can't bring myself to be sad. But I don't want them to go bust

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                          They fired Meier last week.
                                          They sacked him on his birthday as well, which I thought was a bit mean. They should have waited until three o'clock the following morning and then woken him up.

I've always tried to like Norbert Meier - played for Werder; born in the same village as The Lady I Walked To The Registry Office With; called Norbert -, but he doesn't half make it difficult. Not least because he doesn't appear to be a very good coach and often comes across as a bit of a knob.

Although he did once stick the nut on Albert Streit, so he can't be all bad.

Comment

I don't fully understand why he still gets decent jobs.

The only thing close to success that he has had in the last decade was early on with Duesseldorf, and he ended up getting them relegated.

Comment

Lautern have named Jeff Strasser as their new manager. Could actually be a sensible and realistic appointment. No way the club can attract or afford any of the big names on the Trainerkarusell, Strasser played for Lautern and is popular with the fans, which will probably buy him a bit of time to get the team into some sort of shape. He's not going to turn goat piss into gasoline overnight but if he can get the players fitter and playing to some sort of discernible system, he might do alright. However, if things aren't looking better by the Christmas break, they'll bin him.

Comment

Stuttgart's mascot had a birthday, so they did this shirt:

I mean, they played in it. Not a testimonial. A Bundesliga fixture. Yep.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                                  Stuttgart's mascot had a birthday, so they did this shirt:
                                                  But surely they haven't replaced Fritzle, my personal favourite Bundesliga mascot? Say it ain't so!

Comment

No, that's supposed to be him on the shirts. Which makes it even worse, they've turned him into a chipmunk. Not captured his ferocious essence at all.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X