No announcement yet.

Hollerbach's Currywurst - Bundesliga 2017/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And Papadopoulos wasted no time publicly attacking Titz in an interview for dropping him and a few other regulars. Apparently Titz needed them in the team, presumably because their record this season has been so outstanding.

Happily, Titz looks like the kind of guy who has balls of steel (when he doesn't look like Ricky Gervais), and I hope that he will give Papa.... well, there's a German phrase, "ihm eine vor die Fresse hauen".

Comment

I'm convinced the only reason Hollerbach was given the job was that the club bosses were hoping he'd give "Papa" a smack in the mouth.

Comment

As I was in the UK last weekend, I missed the highlights of BVB's 6-0 drubbing at the Allianz Arena. Köln's too.

Were they both as bad as the scorelines suggest? I suppose they must have been.

Comment

Köln's keeper, Timo Horn, has said that his team was lucky it was just 6-0. And that despite Köln having 53% of possession and winning 52% of all tackles. I think the pressure of every game being a final became too much. And if the trade-off for the 6-0 drubbing is a win against Mainz next week, I'll take that.

Comment

Niko Kovač then. Didn't see that coming

Comment

I think I've just seen the most shambolic goal of all-time in the Mainz-Freiburg match.

Long ball up the wing by Mainz. Frieburg centre-back gets it first and knocks it calmly back to his 'keeper.
              One Mainz player vaguely closes down the Freiburg 'keeper, who tries to play it past him with the outside of his boot. And scuffs it completely, to dribble to the forward in the penalty area.
              The Mainz player does the right thing and squares to a colleague, totally unmarked on the penalty spot. All he has to do is side-foot gently into a completely open net. But he somehow contrives to put it onto the post. Extremely luckily it was the inside of the post, and though the ball initially went away from the goal it got some backspin which just dragged it back inside the other post.

If it had rebounded away, and it was only millimetres from doing so, we are talking about a fellow contender for the worst miss of all-time in the Dutch league upthread. All whole package was the sort of thing two Sunday league teams laugh about in the bar afterwards in a 'how shit are we?!?' type of manner.

Comment

Mad match, as Mainz' first came after an interminable VAR review that "saw" a handball near halftime that no one else was aware of (both teams had gone to their dressing rooms).

The result means that Mainz and Freiburg trade places in the table, with Mainz now in the last place of safety and Freiburg looking at a relegation playoff.

Comment

Oh yeah, and the first Mainz goal came from the spot after a VAR decision given after the half-time whistle had gone and the players were heading off. It's all been rather weird. Mainz and Freiburg are both near the foot of the table, I see.

Comment

Or what ua said.

Comment

So my team and that of my older brother are going down together. That has never happened before. Mainly because my older brother supports Hamburg.

Rumour is that Köln will sign Holstein Kiel's coach Markus Anfang (who was born in Cologne). That would be remarkable if Kiel manage to go up while Köln go down. And at present, Kiel has momentum, whereas Düsseldorf and Nürnberg are dropping points. Of course, Anfang could take the long view: Köln will be favourites to be promoted again, and Kiel would be favourites to go down.

Comment

I watched this down the pub. The first half had ended, as has been described. The teams were off and so was the referee. On British telly the adverts were on. I’d read sean of the shed’s article in the new-WSC-with-a-diver-on-the-front and looked up to see the penalty being taken. The footage showed that not only were the teams down the tunnel but so was the referee, and the sprinklers were on. So, what exactly is the rule here? It’s always been that once the referee has blown for the end of a half, that’s it. And what if the sprinklers had been put on in the half where the penalty was taken? Then there was the protest against Monday night football and eventually the second half started. Oh, and in the penalty incident the ‘keeper had the cross covered before the handball intervened. And Freiburg still have to play Hamburg and Köln. Crikey.
                        Last edited by Capybara; 16-04-2018, 22:12.

Comment

Of course, Anfang could be a whole new beginning for Koln

Comment

Oh stop it!

Comment

After some fairly desperate pre-match build-up by kicker, ARD and others to make it seem like there was a snowball's chance in hell of Leverkusen beating Bayern in yesterday's DFB Pokal semi-final, the Bavarians went ahead after 2 minutes and then steamrollered their way to a 6-2 win. That said, Leverkusen did create quite a few chances and Ulreich pulled off some cracking saves when the scoreline was still a lot closer.

VAR featured by omission for the first goal, at least on telly: ARD were so busy showing the ref holding his earpiece in and listening intently and then showing four or five replays of the goal to check whether this was potentially a VAR situation and whether Lewandowski was in an offside position and did he get a touch on Martinez's shot and was he interfering with play and <snore>... by the time they cut back to the live feed, the goal had been given and the game was already underway again. So now this poxy pig's arse of a system that is supposed to speed things up and eliminate mistakes is just causing confusion in the grounds and on TV, as players, managers, commentators and spectators have to try and second-guess when and why it's being applied.

Comment

After HSV get a huge win at home to Freiburg, Mainz lose in Augsburg.

Wolfsburg, Freiburg and Mainz are all now on 30 points, while HSV have 25. HSV need to catch one of that trio to get into the relegation playoff. If they catch two they will be safe. Their visit to Wolfsburg on Saturday will be crucial.

Here are the run-ins:

HSV
                                at Wolfsburg
                                at Frankfurt
                                Gladbach

Wolfsburg
                                HSV
                                at RB Leipzig
                                Köln

Mainz
                                RB Leipzig
                                at Dortmund
                                Bremen

Freiburg
                                Köln
                                at Gladbach
                                Augsburg

Comment

And Kaiserslautern are down among the dead men now after losing at home against Dynamo Dresden yesterday. Bottom of the table, eight points off the relegation play-off position and only three games to play, so a first-ever appearance in the third tier looks a certainty for next season...

Comment

Ah, the VAR - stiffed Eintracht on Wednesday when it got Fernandes's yellow upgraded to a red, rescued them a few minutes later on a technicality that prevented a replay on Schalke's perfectly good 93rd minute equaliser, reportedly stiffed them again on Saturday against Hertha (haven't watched any highlights). So if it's the same level of frustration and delight that we always had anyway, what's the point? "Das ist nicht mehr mein Fußball," Fredi Bobic said on Wednesday, despite the lucky win. Mind you, I feel that all the time, video evidence or not. Part of being an old fart.

Comment

Originally posted by JVL View Post
                                      And Kaiserslautern are down among the dead men now after losing at home against Dynamo Dresden yesterday. Bottom of the table, eight points off the relegation play-off position and only three games to play, so a first-ever appearance in the third tier looks a certainty for next season...
                                      They'll be the third former Bundesliga champion to drop to the third tier, after 1860 and Braunschweig. Like Braunschweig, they are going down to the third tier exactly 20 years after winning their last title. (1860 were first "drittklassig" sooner, but only after not receiving a licence for the 2. Bundesliga in the early '80s).

Comment

Jonas Hector has signed a new contract at Köln. That is remarkable. Bayern and Dortmund were reportedly expressing keen interest (especially as he was going to cost next to nothing thanks to a relegation clause in his contract) as well as rumours of interest from Liverpool. Instead he fucks the relegation clause by signing a new contract which will keep him at the club in the second tier -- or at least get the club market value for him. What an incredible thing to do. What loyalty to his club. Am I a pathetic softie when I confess to having had tears in my eyes at reading the news?

Goalie Timo Horn has also hinted strongly that he might stay. He has been talking about "we" and "us" when referring to next season. I hope Leonard Bittencourt takes the same approach.

Hector's decision reminds me of Lukas Podolski staying with Köln after one of the many relegations.
                                        Last edited by G-Man; 23-04-2018, 15:08.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                          They'll be the third former Bundesliga champion to drop to the third tier, after 1860 and Braunschweig.
                                          What about Nürnberg?

If Anfang goes to Cologne, rumour has it that Titz will take over at Kiel.

Comment

Good question.

Somewhat interestingly, Sechzig, Braunschweig and Nürnberg won their titles in consecutive seasons between 1965 and 1968. Bayern won their first championship the next season.

Comment

Kiel vs Nuernberg is currently on. Kiel appear incapable of defending a set piece (currently 2-1 to the Bavarians, both headers from free-kicks).

Comment

Finished 3-1 to Nuernberg. Kiel deserved nothing more given the standard of their defending.

Comment

Oh yes, I had forgotten about Nürnberg's one-season sojourn in the third tier in the 1990s. Good point by ursus about the sequence of Bundesligameister from 1966-68

Comment

So it has come to this. Grab your can of energy, take a swig and cheer on Leipzig. Hamburg must live.

Cologne will be welcomed back as soon as they've ditched that vile, eye-stabbing radioactive away kit.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X