No announcement yet.

Hollerbach's Currywurst - Bundesliga 2017/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Hannover meant to be ugly, then? Our group of Teessiders never noticed.

Comment

Hannover has a reputation for being dull, with a very ugly city centre. Unjustly so, I think - I lived there for a year and while it wasn't (and still isn't) a stunningly beautiful place, it's no dump either. Went back there last autumn for a weekend and it was pretty much as I'd remembered it: the main shopping centre primarily consists of concrete blocks and towers (some of which have been removed or renovated since I lived there), but Maschsee, Rathaus, Herrenhäuser Gärten, the zoo and the small Altstadt (painstakingly rebuilt after wartime destruction) are all worth a visit.

Comment

In ugly stakes, it's hard to beat Duisburg.

Comment

Didn't think Duisburg was that bad when we were there last year. A man on the train warned us off Oberhausen (it's our Zwillingstadt) but Gelsenkirchen centre was particularly unlovely, like a Billingham that had gone to seed.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
            I found Duisburg okay, but then again I grew up in Bolton.

Comment

Actually, one of the things we liked about Hannover was a statue that looked just like one of our group.

Comment

You've not spent much time on the right-hand side of Germany, have you?

Comment

The most frighteningly hideous place I've seen in Germany is Lauchhammer. It makes Port Talbot look like something out of Midsomer Murders.

Comment

The "Bielefeld Conspiracy" started on Usenet

Comment

The English language Wikipedia article on Lauchhammer is entirely about the inexorable decline in population, which has more than halved since 1971

Comment

Their website is no less depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                          You've not spent much time on the right-hand side of Germany, have you?
                          Fair comment; last time I was there, it was still DDR and the ugly was part of the totalitarian charm...

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                            Their website is no less depressing.
                            I like how the local kiosk and kebab shop get entries in the gastronomy section.

Comment

Our boy Hollerbach is the gift that keeps giving. He's now at the centre of one of the strangest stories. In May last year Kickers Würzburg dismissed Hollerbach as their coach, but because he remained on their payroll (presumably in lieu of giving him a pay-out), they now demand a fee from Hamburg for employing Hollerbach. I'm not sure whether or not to admire the audacity of Würzburg.

Comment

Our boy Hollerbach is the gift that keeps giving. He's now at the centre of one of the strangest stories. In May last year Kickers Würzburg dismissed Hollerbach as their coach, but because he remained on their payroll (presumably in lieu of giving him a pay-out), they now demand a fee from Hamburg for employing Hollerbach. I'm not sure whether or not to admire the audacity of Würzburg.
                                I admire that audacity. It's a good story.

Comment

Der Bernd's driving around town here in his Würzburg-owned company Porsche, complete with a "Würzburger Kickers" sticker on the rear windscreen.

Comment

I'm watching the Bundesliga highlights from the weekend, and up pops Nigel de Jong, out pops my coffee. Previously I had Mainz down as "mostly harmless", but now they can bugger off down.

Comment

Nigel has told the German press that he won't be compromising what he passes off as his 'style of play'. So far: 3 appearances, 2 yellows.

Comment

Meanwhile, back in Kaiserslautern: Jeff Strasser has been diagnosed with cardiac arrhythmia and won't be returning to the sidelines for a while. Michael Frontzeck has been announced as the interim trainer until Strasser can return.

On the field, Lautern have also re-signed Halil Altintop, who had been with Slavia Prague after leaving Augsburg in the summer.

Comment

Return of the Stöger is a really entertaining game, Dortmund one up (second ruled out) but their defence still gives Cologne hope.

Comment

And it got even better. One of the most enjoyable (for a neutral) games I've seen this season. Those Chelsea rejects at Dortmund look better than some of the ones they left.

Comment

Chelsea's treatment of Schuerrle still bemuses. Not that he is anything like the only hyper-talented player who was never given a proper chance there, of course (de Bruyne being the sine qua non).

Comment

Hannover was the home of Kurt Schwitters and Hannover Dada, so is Xanadu to me. For the same reason it's forever linked with Kendal. Though I'm guessing Hanover bears little physical resemblance to the Lake District.

Hannover 96's crest OTOH, resembles the logo of a US discount gas station. Kurt would not be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                                  And it got even better. One of the most enjoyable (for a neutral) games I've seen this season. Those Chelsea rejects at Dortmund look better than some of the ones they left.
                                                  In my limited experience (except when Bayern München's playing) there are very few boring Bundesliga matches. Best spectator value on a game-by-game basis of any of the major leagues.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                    X