No announcement yet.

Hollerbach's Currywurst - Bundesliga 2017/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gladbach-Hamburg is a cracker. 1-0, plus lots of TalkingPunkte, as they probably don't say in Germany. I bet y'all loved that Papadopolous saving tackle, what a guy.

Comment

Not such a cracking second half, and of course I jinxed Papa, who gave away Gladbach's decisive second.

But we did get to see somebody booked for playing and drinking, which was fun.

Comment

The Bundesliga's like a Soviet-era Eastern European league, where officials get "incentives" for serving the People's Bayern.

Comment

Köln - Wolfsburg 1-0. Operation Klassenerhalt starts now.

Well, maybe not. Even if Köln play as good a Rückrunde as they had a Hinrunde last season, they'll end up on 32 points. Last time that was enough to survive was in 2014. But the nearest relegation rivals have more points now than their equivalents did then.

Comment

Bizarre day yesterday - goals in the opening two minutes at Frankfurt, Augsburg and Bremen. Then five goals in the final minute or during stoppage time (Frankfurt, 2 x Augsburg, Bremen and Dortmund), and all changing the outcomes of those four games. The only inevitability was Bayern's third consecutive 1-0 win - they're like fucking Arsenal in the 70s*.

*Did Arsenal really win lots of dull games 1-0 in the 70s? I've no idea - I haven't studied the stats, I'm just recycling myths.

Comment

The radio conference yesterday must have been utterly insane. I wish I had tuned in, but I had visitors. The poor guy in Cologne was probably trying to tell the listeners hat FC is winning their first game of the season only to be interrupted, every time he opened his mouth, with news from other places about another goal having been scored. By the end of it all he had probably resigned, leaving his mic open but unattended.

Comment

That's carried over into today - just watched a barnstorming 4-4 draw between Hannover and Leverkusen, a veritable Christmas cracker of a game.

Comment

Am now watching Leipzig v Hertha - Hertha were down to 10 men after just seven minutes, but are leading 3-0 after 65 despite endless Leipzig pressure, because they are scoring or almost scoring on the handful of times they‘ve got forward.

Comment

Leipzig finally score one at the 75th attempt. Hertha sub out two-goal Selke for Sonofibisevic. 1-3 with 20 minutes left.

Edit add: just one goal in injury time today. Final score: 2-3. I‘ve had a most entertaining afternoon and evening on the couch.
                    Last edited by imp; 18-12-2017, 10:44. Reason: Selke's not a bloody seal.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                      Not such a cracking second half, and of course I jinxed Papa, who gave away Gladbach's decisive second.

But we did get to see somebody booked for playing and drinking, which was fun.
                      If even some of the stories are true, bookings for playing and drinking would've seen many a 70s legend play a lot fewer games!

Comment

Had a moral dilemma on the way to Eintracht-Schalke, by the way. On Saturdays, should you go to the game or the anti-Trump demo?

Comment

Was I correct in seeing on the highlight show that Freiburg clad themselves in purple camoflage shirts?

Comment

Comment

Köln win their derby against M'gladbach with a goal in the final minute of added time, through new signing Simon Terrodde. There have been only two games this season I had a good feeling about Köln winning: against Wolfsburg and today's derby. A few more games like this and I have a hunch that Köln will avoid relegation.

Meanwhile, two Mainz players are reporting racial abuse at Hannover during their warm-up.

And Dortmund have again suspended Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, for missing a team talk.

Comment

The Köln/'Gladbach game was excellent, a real and proper derby. Back and forth with a last kick winner, perfect. BTW what's the history of Köln fans singing Loch Lomond (with different words I assume?)

Comment

It's the club's anthem, "Mer stonn zo dir, FC Kölle" ("We stand by you, FC Köln", in the Kölsch dialect). It was first recorded by the Kölsch band De Höhner. Maybe they are Runrig fans. The fans also sing it in Cologne cathedral in the annual prayer service, set to organ music. It's magnificent.

Last edited by G-Man; 15-01-2018, 06:32.

Comment

Rafael van der Vaart returned to Germany yesterday... playing for FC Midtjylland in their friendly against Kaiserslautern.

For some reason, FCK decided to play this match in the Fritz-Walter-Stadion (capacity: 49,780). The attendance: 573. I was going to say that must be some sort of record for the number of empty seats in a game that wasn't officially played behind closed doors, but then I remembered that FCK II are required (ridiculously) to play their games in the main stadium too and regularly get fewer spectators than that. Oh well.

Comment

Is there any rationale behind that? Perhaps giving the stadium staff additional hours?

It isn’t the norm for Bundesliga reserve sides, as far as I recall.

Comment

Mainz Reserves still play at the old stadium am Bruchweg - I'm sure they only get a few hundred, despite being in the third division. It's surely the only city in the world where they have two full-sized stadiums for two teams in the same club? Though maybe the old ground has been downsized, I don't know - I was last there in 2002.

Comment

Barcelona B plays in the Mini Estadi, which is adjacent to Camp Nou and seats more than 15,000

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                            Mainz Reserves still play at the old stadium am Bruchweg - I'm sure they only get a few hundred, despite being in the third division. It's surely the only city in the world where they have two full-sized stadiums for two teams in the same club? Though maybe the old ground has been downsized, I don't know - I was last there in 2002.
                                            I went there in 2017. It was my first visit but the stadium looks pretty much as it was, except they have removed the seating in a couple of corners, judging from pictures I've seen from the mid-2000s. The crowd was just over 700 of whom about half were from the visitors, Fortuna Köln. Hoffenheim II also play in their old stadium in Hoffenheim which is a good deal smaller but would be a decent fourth division or Conference ground although it has not much more than a footway along one side. Nicely situated too.

Comment

Borussia Dortmund II play their matches in Station Rote Erde, which was the home stadium of the first team until the 1974 World Cup. It hosted two international matches too, back in 1935 and 1967.

Comment

Until fairly recently, the FCK reserves / U-23 team did play on Platz 4 behind the Fritz-Walter-Stadion but last summer the club announced that all Oberliga matches would now take place in the main stadium 'for organisational reasons'. I get why they would want to move matches against Mannheim, Homburg or Saarbrücken into the big ground (much easier to segregate, and those would be pretty much the only matches attracting more than a few hundred spectators) but playing Mechtersheim in the main stadium is nonsensical. They don't have to pay to power the floodlights thanks to the huge solar panel installation on the stadium roof, but I still can't imagine that the gate receipts cover the cost of staffing the place for matches at that level.

Comment

They play Oberliga games in the main stadium in Kaiserslautern? Blimey. A year or two ago, there were Oberliga teams here (one of which I used to watch regularly) playing on cinder pitches.

It was brilliant seeing ex-professionals (such as people who may or may not have been called Stefan Schnoor or Claus Reitmaier) failing to come to terms with plying their trade on what was little more than gravel, then, after the umpteenth misplaced pass, losing their rag and shouting, "I can't be expected to play on this fucking surface!"

The ex-professional who may or may not have been called Claus Reitmaier ended up refusing to play in games on cinder pitches. To be fair, the ex-professionals who definitely were called Mathias Reincke and Nico Patschinski (who, incidentally, now drives a hearse for a living and is planning on becoming a municipal bus driver) never complained.

To be even fairer, Reitmaier (if it was Reitmaier) was pushing 50 at the time and was a goalkeeper. Diving around on stones isn't something a 50-year-old man has to do on a Sunday morning. Mind you, a 50-year-old man shouldn't be keeping goal in an Oberliga team. Make way for the youngsters, you silly old sod.
                                                  Last edited by treibeis; 20-01-2018, 11:41.

Comment

And suddenly Köln are just four points behind the relegation play-off place. There's land in sight. Eight points to safety, but with Stuttgart being in a quite awful rut, and neither Mainz nor Wolfsburg (all on 20 points) the most stable teams. I can see a situation where both Köln and Werder can avoid relegation. Mainz have conceded two goals or more in seven straight games, winning their first of those against Stuttgart (also one win in seven games) today.

At the top, things are very tight in the race to qualify for the the Champions' League. One single point separates places 2-7; and four points places 2-9. If Hannover beat Schalke tomorrow, half of the Bundesliga will be within four points or less of a CL place.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X