No announcement yet.

Hollerbach's Currywurst - Bundesliga 2017/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More post-play-off idiocy in Cottbus now too...

Fans in Ku Klux Klan hoods at the promotion celebrations in the town square, holding a banner that says "Rise of Evil" (Aufstieg also means "promotion").

Of all the matches I've been too over the years, I've only ever been genuinely afraid for my safety twice: once at Millwall, and once in Cottbus. Won't be rushing back to the Lausitz any time soon.

Comment

I'm down a rabbit hole with German club names. I've got a database for work that contains the following club names, some of which we've anglicised already. I've been trying to ensure we're consistent with which suffixes/prefixes we use, but virtually all the German clubs are a pain especially as a non-German speaker.

FC Augsburg
      Bayer 04 Leverkusen
      Bayern Munich (anglicised)
      Borussia Dortmund
      Borussia Mönchengladbach
      Eintracht Frankfurt
      Fortuna Düsseldorf
      SC Freiburg
      Hannover 96
      Hertha Berlin (anglicised)
      1899 Hoffenheim
      Mainz 05
      RB Leipzig
      1. FC Nuremberg (anglicised)
      FC Schalke 04
      Werder Bremen
      VfB Stuttgart
      VfL Wolfsburg

Darmstadt 98
      Hamburg SV (anglicised)
      FC Ingolstadt
      1. FC Köln

I don't think any of them are particularly controversial, but you could still have SV Werder Bremen, TSG 1899 Hoffenheim, 1. FSV Mainz 05, FC Bayern Munich and that's before you get to the fact most of them have even longer formal names. You could drop the FC from Schalke and Augsburg. I'm thinking of just giving up, the list I've got above features usages that are fairly common across sports media, I don't think anyone's actually complained in any case. Might do TSG 1899 Hoffenheim, not sure...

Comment

You could also do Rasenballsport Leipzig to highlight just how ridiculous they are.

Comment

It gets even more inconsistent when you say them out loud, especially numbers. I'd always say "eighteen sixty Munich", but with Schalke I might say "null vier", unless I was talking to somebody who gives you a wedgie for being pretentious.

Comment

In normal informal usage, it's often enough just to say the city's name, except Hertha and Bayern, since there are other (formerly) big clubs in that city, and the names are quite distinctive (though not unique). One might also use Werder rather than Bremen, because of it's distinctiveness. But for Leverkusen, it's usually the city's name that is used because there used to be another Bayer (Uerdingen). Thiugh I'd be quite happy to call them Molsanto Leverkusen. You're right with Hoffenheim: the TSG is optional.

Anyway, I think you got them all right. Slightly less formal alternatives

Bayer 04 Leverkusen: The 04 is not necessary or commonly used.
            Hertha Berlin (anglicised): Hertha BSC is a valid alternative
            FC Schalke 04: The FC is indeed optional, since the "trademark" is the 04 (as the 05 is for Mainz), but you can't really deprive Augsburg of its FC. But in conversation, you are safe with saying Schalke or Mainz or Hoffenheim. As you'd do in England if you referred to, say, Leicester or Villa.

I'm pleased you chose not to anglicise 1. FC Köln (whose "1." can be dispensed with in speech and narratives).

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
              It gets even more inconsistent when you say them out loud, especially numbers. I'd always say "eighteen sixty Munich", but with Schalke I might say "null vier", unless I was talking to somebody who gives you a wedgie for being pretentious.
              1860 fans generally refer to them as Sechzig.

Comment

Bayern Münich usually appear in print as FC Bayern. Or Die Bayern.
                Last edited by Stumpy Pepys; 26-06-2018, 07:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                  Or Die Bayern.
                  Which should be the English slogan for that wretched club.

Comment

Someone recently spray-painted a recycling bin near my flat, with something like "FC Bayern — Die Pest der Liga".

Then someone spoiled it by making the P into a B.

Comment

Is there space to add an -ie to the modified word?

Comment

Possibly, but I've got my Staatsbürgerschaft interview in a few weeks, and I'm not prepared to take the risk of arriving with a conviction for vandalism.

Comment

Possibly, but I've got my Staatsbürgerschaft interview in a few weeks, and I'm not prepared to take the risk of arriving with a conviction for vandalism.
                          Yes, but do you have a certificate saying that you've successfully completed a course at a Tanzschule and/or have had a Schrebergarten at some point in the past?

If not, they won't let you in anyway.

Comment

I thought I could just arrive wearing Hausschuhe, then immediately open all the windows.

Comment

I believe the test is how well you can do the "Hossa" bits in "Fiesta Mexicana".

Comment

Someone recently spray-painted a recycling bin near my flat, with something like "FC Bayern — Die Pest der Liga".

Then someone spoiled it by making the P into a B.
                                Good news—the 'Cook Pass Babtridge' alteration has nearly worn off and karma has been restored.

Comment

I thought I could just arrive wearing Hausschuhe, then immediately open all the windows.
                                  For maximum points, then wait ten seconds, exclaim "Es zieht!" and then slam the windows shut again. Never known a nation so susceptible to draughts...

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                    I believe the test is how well you can do the "Hossa" bits in "Fiesta Mexicana".
                                    That was but a rumour that refused to go away.

Candidates for the current test, however, have to be able to sing the chorus of "Marmor, Stein und Eisen bricht", while punching the air AT THE RIGHT TIME.
                                    Last edited by treibeis; 27-06-2018, 07:46.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                      Candidates for the current test, however, have to be able to sing the chorus of "Marmor, Stein und Eisen bricht", while punching the air AT THE RIGHT TIME.
                                      I've spent enough beer-sozzled evenings at the Wiesn to be able to do that correctly.

I can do Wahnsinn as well, come to think of it (Hölle, Hölle, Hölle, Hölle!)

Comment

I bet you can do "Verdammt, ich lieb' dich" as well.

Comment

Working...
                                        X