No announcement yet.

Hollerbach's Currywurst - Bundesliga 2017/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Papadopolous - you've nailed him, I feel exactly the same when I watch him. What a bastard, hard as nails, what the German football press love to call "a mentality monster" (it's been my favourite meaningless football cliché of the past year), and you sort of hate him for all his theatrics, but can't keep your eyes off him and kind of wish he played for your team.

Frankfurt got a free pass from a lot of fans and media for their terrible performance on Saturday on the grounds that at least they created lots of chances. In truth they failed to beat an ordinary Wolfsburg team thanks to their own carelessness. We'll be down there with you, G-Man. Oh, and my first experience of a video ref in the stadium. Frankfurt were given a penalty when Boating was up-ended, but it was overturned when the VR (correctly) ruled he was offside when he received the ball. As we had a Freiburg goal cancelled out last weekend by the VR, also for offside, we can hardly complain. In fact, no one did.

Comment

Union-Bielefeld was quite good fun yesterday, with the 1-1 result being a fair reflection of the overall balance between the two teams and the Alten Försterei being in magnificent voice.

It looks like the 2.Liga will be much more competitive than the senior circuit this time around, with Fortuna, Darmstadt and Bielefeld making the early running ahead of a large pack of contenders.

Comment

With Köln pointless and in last place after a 3-0 beating at Augsburg, G-Man's gone understandably quiet. Eintracht took an unlikely three points at Mönchengladbach at the weekend and now have the thrilling Goals For:Goals Against ratio of 1:1 after three games.

Meanwhile, Robert Lewandowski gave an unauthorised interview with Der Spiegel saying that Bayern needs to buy some more expensive players if it wants to compete in Europe. Rummenigge's all pissed off at this - can't have players expressing opinions. The striker also admitted that he didn't bother trying on the summer Asian tour and he thinks they're a waste of time. A summation of recent interviews from him, Sandro Wagner ("People who live for football are idiots") and Thomas Müller ("It won't matter if I die tomorrow") here on my blog. High time that football players say what they think again.

Comment

Well, Bayern are in the middle of a 'crisis' apparently--Lewandowski's outburst, Müller complaining about not being picked, rumours of Ancelotti going to coach in China. It'll blow over in a few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
            With Köln pointless and in last place after a 3-0 beating at Augsburg, G-Man's gone understandably quiet.
            I'm shellshocked. Though I did say something on the sacked managers thread.
            Last edited by G-Man; 12-09-2017, 14:51.

Comment

Every Bundesliga game I watch, there's usually two balls on the pitch at various times, so it's not surprising Hoffenheim pinched a goal the way they did. Lazier ball boys, that's what the league needs.

Kevin Prince Boateng's offside non-goal was funny. Ruthless striker's instinct, oops.

Why are Hamburg always playing on Friday night? Not complaining (I got HSV love, see previous posts), but it does seem strange.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                Union-Bielefeld was quite good fun yesterday, with the 1-1 result being a fair reflection of the overall balance between the two teams and the Alten Försterei being in magnificent voice.

It looks like the 2.Liga will be much more competitive than the senior circuit this time around, with Fortuna, Darmstadt and Bielefeld making the early running ahead of a large pack of contenders.
                Yes, it really is open. Holstein Kiel, who last breathed second tier air when the 2. Bundesliga was still split between North and South, have made a great start to the season. Memories of Darmstadt a few years ago, but also of Hollerbach's Würzburg last season. It would be great if Kiel would get promoted. They'd become the first Schleswig-Holstein side in the Bundesliga. I don't think any other Bundesland has not have had a top tier club at some point. Certainly all of the other old West-German Bundesländer have.

And it would be fun seeing all the Hansens turn up at away games in Dortmund and Stuttgart and Leipzig with their tractors and fishing boats.

Comment

Here's a remarkable statistic I've suspected for a while but ascertained today: Peter Stöger is the first ever coach of FC Köln to lead the club into a fifth successive season. No wonder he called himself the club's Arsene Wenger a few months ago.

Comment

Fantastic chaos during the 2nd half of Sandhausen-Kaiserslautern when the Sandhausen defender, in his own penalty box, thinks he's heard the ref blow for a foul in his team's favour. So he stops the rolling ball with his hand and takes a quick free kick and gets on with the game. Or so he thought. Cue lots of angry Kaiserslautern players who surround the ref to demand a penalty. Ref gives it; cue lots of angry Sandhausen players now surrounding the ref.

After 5 mins of fannying around (I presume with the VAR), he finally decides to give a drop-ball to the Sandhausen 'keeper and tells him to boot it up the field and give it back to Kaisersalutern. And just to rub salt into Kaiserslautern's wounds, they concede 2mins later which turns out to be the winning goal.

Comment

Similar shenanigans at Jena vs Neppen in the 3. Liga. In the second half, at 1-2 in favour of Meppen, a Jena player is injured in a crunching tackle in Meppen's half. Meppen player gets a pass, but seeing Jena's player still writhing on the ground stops to play, pointing to the injured player. Jena striker takes the ball and runs off with it to score the equaliser. The ref gave the goal. Legally correct, of course. But morally very much not.

Comment

Yep, that was shite refereeing. "Kein Fingerspitzengefühl", as we say in the trade. Sorry about your 5-0 shellacking in Dortmund, G-Man, but with an opponent primed to be taken, you can guarantee that Eintracht will find a way to fuck things up on Wednesday and you'll be granted your first three points of the season.

Some weird results in BL2. Duisburg, 4-0 away winners at Bielefeld last weekend, lose 1-6 at home to Nuremberg. St. Pauli, 0-1 winners at Nuremberg last Monday, lose 0-4 at home to Ingolstadt.

Comment

Köln are calling for the Dortmund game to be replayed, because the video technology wrongly gave the 2-0 just before half-time. If the complaint goes the distance, then that will be a blow to the video technology experiment. I doubt Köln will get the replay though.

Comment

In Cologne's form right now I'd stick with the 5-0 rather than risk worse in a replay. But you're right, they've got no chance.

Comment

Here's that crazy Carl Zeiss Jena incident https://talksport.com/football/watch...en-players-mad

Comment

I love the fact that the guy with such ice in his veins is called Eismann. Also interesting that none of the Jena players are celebrating. The guy near the centre circle looks embarrassed.

Comment

The odious Roger, that walking lizard of a man, is safety coaching in the Chinese Super League now. Martin, though, is a very cool bloke. I thought Mainz were stupid to get rid of him after just one mediocre season.

Köln has opted not to appeal for a replay of the Dortmund game - presumably they watched the footage of the first one and decided that was traumatic enough.

Comment

kicker opened that Köln would have stood a fair chance, but that their success would have torpedoed the technology experiment.

Comment

I disagree with the gentlemen from the esteemed and slightly more than up their own arses magazine. We'd have been talking about replaying a game because of a micro-second between the ball crossing the line and the referee blowing his whistle. In all but the minutest technical detail it was a legitimate goal, and everyone knows it.

Comment

But the length of time between the referee blowing to stop play and play stopping is stipulated at absolutely zero. There is no discretionary period that expires at some point during which legitimate play can continue in the event the ref changes his mind. The moment the ref bows, the ball is dead. That isn't a minute technical detail; that is a central tenet of refereeing.

Comment

Anyone know why Werder Bremen are wearing a (Very fetching) purple strip with orange bits?

Comment

Visiting Wolfsburg always causes them to bring out the glad rags, because the two clubs' colours are so similar.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                              But the length of time between the referee blowing to stop play and play stopping is stipulated at absolutely zero. There is no discretionary period that expires at some point during which legitimate play can continue in the event the ref changes his mind. The moment the ref bows, the ball is dead. That isn't a minute technical detail; that is a central tenet of refereeing.
                                              Like I say, technically that's correct. But under the circumstances (context being a thing of importance in refereeing too - common sense is the number one rule, followed closely now by the instruction to "referee in the spirit of the game"), it would be ludicrous to replay the game given the comprehensive final result and the fact that the ball was unstoppably headed anyway towards the net when the ref blew for the foul that wasn't. It's like saying we should replay any game where a disputed throw-in call was subsequently shown to have gone the wrong way. If the goal had been disallowed for a supposed foul by Sokratis (that is, if the refs had stuck by the original decision), then Cologne had gone on to win 2-1, Dortmund would not have called for a replay either. And that's the way it should be. Move on and get ready to take three points off Eintracht.

Comment

Well, conceding the 2-0 just before half-time might have been a factor in the comprehensive defeat. We don't know. But it was 1-0 at the time and that was still close. I'm not in favour of a replay — Nürnberg has shown that this rarely ends well — but Köln have a legitimate complaint.

And surely your analogy doesn't hold. A wrongly denied goal or wrongly awarded throw-in is different from a dead ball. The video ref had no business giving the goal; apparently on the video he couldn't hear the ref's whistle and therefore didn't know the ball was dead. So this is not a minor quibble by (as per Watzke) bad losers: an innovation which was supposed to decrease error in potentially match-deciding situations led to an error in a potentially match-deciding situation.

Comment

And I just saw the video ref gifting Bayern a penalty against Schalke last night. The ball bounced off Naldo's foot on to his hand. The ref correctly said no penalty, the video ref overturned it., 1-0 to Bayerrn.

I was a supporter of video technology. I'm getting cured of that misjudgment.

Comment

We're certainly getting the downs with the ups - which is why it's an experiment and all still up for discussion. Didn't see the Naldo penalty yet so can't comment. Presumably the video ref for Dortmund-Köln was watching in slow motion without sound. A mistake - next time they'll know to factor that in. It's how things improve, and doesn't alter the fact that the second goal was morally legit.

I don't think video evidence is going away, no matter how many controversies we face at its outset. But then I'm in favour because it's for the good of referees' souls and I care much less about the transitory anger of at least 17 clubs in the BL.

Speaking of anger, did you catch Ralph Hassenhütl going off at Augsburg captain Daniel Baier after last night's defeat? Baier showed him the 'wanker' gesture with about 15 minutes to go, and was generally behaving like an obnoxious prick all over the park. No doubt he'll be a fans' cult favourite blah blah from now on for telling it like it is to evil Leipzig. In the meantime, a DFB investigation is under way.

Will give your love to the Müngersdorfer in a few hours time... Forecast: 2-0 Köln.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X