No announcement yet.

Podcasts Wot OTF People Are Listening To And Recommend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSC should have a podcast. I mean, it would probably be chaotic and might well get shut down on account of the amount of swearing, but what an episode that would be.

Comment

I'm in.

Comment

I'm giggling at the thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
          What's their orientation - more toward the superhero stuff or more toward the indie/standalones? I've really struggled to find a good comics podcast that isn't 90% superheroes, which I have nearly no interest in. Two-Headed Nerd was about as close as I could find, until the format change, but even that was too focused on 1st issues. I want something that would highlight good stories to seek out,whether they're new comics or not.
          Yeah, I don't listen to many other comic podcasts but I can imagine the superhero bias being quite high. Indie Spinner Rack was a good podcast focusing on independent comics but it hasn't come out for years now. However, their archive is worth a listen. The Comic Geek Speak guys do a good monthly episode called Previews where they basically go through the Previews catalogue and say what they're reading and buying. It might be worth checking out but you'll probably need to listen to a few months to get your head round the different tastes of the presenters to see if they chime in with yours. I have had lots of good recommendations from them. There is a decent balance between the super-hero/non-super-hero stuff and the super-hero recommendations tends to be the classier end of the genre eg Tom King's Vision (recent Eisner Award winner*) and Jason Aaron's work or reprints of classic storylines rather than the big crossover and event comics that are basically here today, gone tomorrow.

Actually, thinking about it, the Eisner Award nominations (and winners) might be worth checking out for some ideas of what to read. There's a lot of non-super-hero stuff nominated.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
            I subscribe to the Skeptoid podcast and their software inserts two German ads into my stream. Obviously country specific.
            Totally Football Show on Twitter told me that they had no ads in the file, and no software to insert ads, so it must have been a Overcast thing. I know that Overcast has the visual ads at the bottom of the now playing screen, I had no idea that they'd also insert audio ads. There was another ad at the end of the podcast as well. Hopefully that was just a one-time thing.

Comment

Just a heads-up for those that have mentioned, or were interested in, Hardcore History. There's a new episode out (and they only come along infrequently).

The Celtic Holocaust.

Not my usual area of interest, but pretty good nonetheless!

Comment

I'm an hour into it. It's very good. Bigging up Barry Clunliffe, always a plus. Definitely not Tom Holland waste of space.

Comment

The New York Public Library podcast.

Comment

I'm getting more and more used to Max Rushden on Football Weekly. Although Barry G's been on very good form lately.

Sid Lowe's still there, but has Raphael Honigstein jumped ship?

Comment

I seem to remember reading something about Raphael Honigstein writing a book, so he has cut back on the journalism side for now.

Comment

Honigstein is appearing on the Totally Football Show and 5 Live's new Euroleagues podcast

Comment

Incidentally, the improv musical podcast I mentioned upthread, Off Book, turned out great.

Comment

The recent WTF with Alice Cooper was excellent.

The Last Podcast on the Left can sometimes be a bit unpleasant but is generally entertaining - especially the history of Scientology episodes from earlier in the year.

I'm catching up on the Rex Factor which is an amenable enough way to pass a bus journey.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                              I suppose I should give you guys my list.

Chapo Trap House (GREY WOLF AH-OOOOO)
                              Age of Napoleon (a fairly new addition, done by a guy who has been on Chapo about the life of Napoleon - good if you like Revolutions)
                              Baseball Tonight (OK, a broad survey of baseball. Usually listen to the Keith Law and Tim Kurkjian weekly interviews and that's it)
                              The Bill Simmons podcast (usually good, ignore the NBA ones mostly as I don't care about the NBA)
                              The Dollop (American history, usually done live by two comedians, one who doesn't know a thing and just riffs on the crazy story. It's good)
                              Revolutions (a history of various revolutions, doing 1848 now)
                              War Nerd Radio (meh....I'm probably going to quit paying their Patreon)
                              Dan Carlin's Hardcore History, although he does maybe 2 episodes a year tops.
                              The Dollop is definitely my favourite podcast. If anyone wants to start, the probably "The Rube" is the best one to go with, but the ones about the Boston Marathon, 10 Cent Beer Night, Mike Molloy or the one about the penguins getting killed (!!) are other options...

Chapo is OK but obviously depends on your politics. Went off it slightly after they came out with some ill-informed crap about Ireland (sympathy for the IRA backed up with nonsensical crap about their murals being all about happy things while the loyalists are all hooded gunmen - I'd stress I don't know much about the Irish political situation but know enough to know to keep my mouth shut unless I've really thought things through).

On the sport side I like Bill Simmon's podcasts but am never quite sure why and went off Baseball Tonight when Buster Olney starting pontificating moralistically about the Ryan Braun PED issue in an overblown way. Then again, I support the Brewers so am fairly biased. Law and Kurkjian are good though.

Comment

If you're on Howl/Stitcher Premium, I've been enjoying Drew Tarver's new show, Strictly Business, about the terrible business ideas of ex pro skateboarder and garbage person Derek Contrera.

Comment

Today's TFS with James Richardson, Raphael Honigstein, Simon Hughes and some Russian dude.
                                  https://audioboom.com/posts/6311098-...nic-irritation
                                  I mostly stuck to geopolitics.

Comment

Спасибо! Саш Моей Оцы?

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                      Саш Моей Оцы?
                                      ?
                                      I gotta admit that I am stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Sash View Post
                                        ?
                                        I gotta admit that I am stuck
                                        Heh, that'll teach me.

It says, or was intended to: "Thank you. Sash my father [wore]"

As per the parallel language thread, my brother's suggestion to do a refresher course of my 70s O Level came while we were discussing the World Cup in Crusaders' social club. A venue where Tovarisch Sash has starred IIRC.

Will fast-forward to your geopolitical bits on the show, but there's a lot of James & Rafa getting emotional about Man Citeh to get through.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                          Will fast-forward to your geopolitical bits on the show, but there's a lot of James & Rafa getting emotional about Man Citeh to get through.
                                          Just be grateful that VAR chat got chopped.

Comment

I am interested to know what the politics are. Having taken the opportunity to appear on richardson's podcast have you burned your bridges re the Guardian one?

Comment

Here's a link to Preet Bharara's new podcast. Should be interesting.

Comment

Just now saw these posts and discovered we have a podcast star here.

Comment

Sash did a brilliant job of conveying a lot of meaningful information quickly and efficiently.

Very much hope he becomes their regular Russian/Geo-politics contributor.

Preet's first episode was very strong, which is just what I would expect from my rather younger law school classmate. He's also become a Senior Legal Commentator for CNN.
                                                  Last edited by ursus arctos; 21-09-2017, 14:08.

Comment

So CNN are just openly trolling Trump, now? Better than paying his shills, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X