Podcasts Wot OTF People Are Listening To And Recommend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
    Dan Carlin's Hardcore History, although he does maybe 2 episodes a year tops.
    Yes, he's on my list too.

To be fair to Carlin, he must put an awful lot of work into researching, writing and recording them.

Comment

Not really a podcast, but I think an old web series called "Dinner For Five", which is basically 4 actor/comedian/film types, basically gassing along with Jon Favreau at a restaurant. Interesting and funny. All episodes (50+ of 25 minutes) on Youtube.

Comment

Short Cuts from Radio 4 for me - Josie Long has really grown into the anchor position and it unearths some fantastic human stories.

Comment

Inspired by the thread, I've just dived into The History of the World in 100 Objects.

Soundcloud is my platform of choice.

Comment

I'm listening to podcasts only while driving to and from work. So that's just about an hour a day. So my podcasts needs are limited.

And then I am also a podcast binger. So at the moment I'm listening to loads of Desert Island Discs programmes. I love them. In fact, my luxury item would be a solar-powered iPod containing all episodes of Desert Island Discs. That's what I'd tell Roy Plomley anyway.

The Washington Post has a really good series on every US president. It's very well-made. Last year I followed Slate's superb Whistlestop podcasts on historic primaries in US elections, presented by John Dickerson.

At the moment, Nishlord's Top of the Pops podcasts are essential listening.

Periodically I also go phases in which I listen to selected episodes of Crap From The Past, which is broadcast weekly by an independent station in Minnesota. The guy plays some really off-beat records -- some of them actually crap from the past -- gives a bit of background to them, makes jokes he knows are corny... that kind of stuff. Really good fun. It has run for something like 20 years, and the archive is comprehensive.

Comment

Oh, wow, Howl has just put up a bunch of cool radio stuff: Hitchhiker's Guide, Flight of the Conchords, and most excitingly for me, The Adventures of Chickenman.

Comment

Max Rushden it is. That's OK, not perfect, but neither was Jimbo.

But did he go "extraaaaa" yesterday, I haven't listened?

I really don't mind if he doesn't.

Comment

It's a bit... chaotic.

Also opens with a mention of that fucking microwave.
                  Last edited by Snake Plissken; 04-08-2017, 06:54.

Comment

It doesn't show up on my podcast app. Have they changed the address or something?

Comment

Don't know. I use Podcasts on my iPhone which I assume is the iTunes feed.

Comment

Mine obviously uses the soundcloud feed which apparently has not been updated somehow

Comment

Hmm, yes, the text on Soundcloud says "Max Rushden, Barry, Sid, Rafa and friends" but the most recent track is one month old.

Comment

I thought it was fun. I don't mind a bit of chaos as long as people seem to be enjoying themselves but still talk about stuff.

Comment

I'm sticking with it. I don't mind Max and the participants had been clearly wrongfooted by the sudden departure of the presenter and the producer. I hope Sid and Rafa stay on board.

But Christ, Guardian Football listeners can be a curmudgeonly and conservative lot. Worse than Radio 4 listeners.

Comment

A shame James has left but I did get the feeling he was sounding a bit jaded in the last few shows of last season, whilst at the same time he started a film podcast, Truth & Movies, which is brilliant and has him back to his eager, enthusiastic and chatty self.

This weeks Football Weekly was a chaotic yet glorious start to the season and I'm sure Max will do a good job, he usually does when he subbed for James in the past.

But I am looking forward to the new James & (Producer) Ben show with Iain, The Totally Football Show, this is the only web presence they have so far, but apparently first show is being recorded and released on Monday. Will be interested to see what contributors they have on the show, in an ideal world Tim Vickery and Andy Brassell would appear, but that won't happen, not least as they aren't covering Brazilian football.

Comment

Mrs. S has recently introduced me to Radio 4's Fortunately. Doesn't sound promising if I describe it:

Jane Garvey and Fi Glover, both presenters on the station, basically just chat about what they've enjoyed on BBC radio this week, and a bit about life and the world in general. But it's very, very informal and seriously funny.

Comment

I became really bored of Football Weekly the last season or two but then I'd become really bored of football. I think it's not so much that James Richardson's schtik that has palled, (though he's been working it a long time), rather that the identkit nice young Guardian football men that he surrounded himself with became ever more deadening. One of them's the backer of the new pod, isn't he? But I wish Richardson well: he has a lot of credit in the bank for Gazetta and the Guardian pod's earlier years.
                                    I don't much rate the Truth and Lies film podcast, I'm sorry to say. Middlebrow discussion of superhero films by lightly ironic chaps who sound just like the erstwhile Guardian football lot
                                    Last week's, Guardian pod, I found a little more enjoyable. I'll stick with it but might give the new JR one a listen out of curiosity

Comment

Totally Football is up. Quality first episode.

Comment

Jesus, the Jack in the Box ad at the start of it really makes me not want to listen to the rest of the episode out of principle.

I haven't finished the most recent FW, I didn't care for all of the shade that they were trying to throw on Jimbo. I've been listening to FW ever since it started for the 2006 World Cup, but in recent years it became less essential for me. I like Second Captains much more, it isn't just a "this happened in this game, then this happened in this other game," I like that it's more in-depth in the interviews.

I have to admit, I find Ian Macintosh a little annoying with his "hullllloooo!"s.
                                        Last edited by Incandenza; 08-08-2017, 17:31.

Comment

No advert on mine.

Comment

Hmm. I was wondering if it was a US-specific targeted ad. Is Jack in the Box even in Britain?

Comment

I subscribe to the Skeptoid podcast and their software inserts two German ads into my stream. Obviously country specific.

Comment

Yup

They can be quite inappropriate too.

I periodically get one for automobile parking in NYC on the Cycling News podcast.

Comment

50 things that made the Modern Economy - A World Service one. Short and sharp. Each episode is 10 minutes or so.

Bigmouth - British pop culture. Quite good on comics chat.

Books and Authors - Radio 4. A feed that combines Open Book with The Book Programme.

Brett Easton Ellis - Never read any of his books but I enjoy hearing him pontificate about the state of the US movie industry. I think he's losing interest now (in both the industry and the podcast) as the episodes are becoming more and more sporadic

Chart Music - Really, really funny TOTP podcast hosted by nishlord.

Comic Geek Speak - the longest running comic book podcast. Probably not for every comic book fan as they are not the most up to date and cutting edge but the presenters have a vast collective knowledge of the medium. I listen to every episode without fail and have done for years.

Desert Island Discs - saves me reading the biographies of the guests.

Here's the Thing - an interview podcast hosted by Alec Baldwin. Great range of guests, not just movie stars and SNL comedians, although he has had plenty of both.

KCRW podcasts - I listen to quite a few - Film Reviews, Hollywood Breakdown, The Business, The Spin-Off and The Treatment.

Kermode and Mayo - only when they're focusing on a film I've seen though.

Mega City Book Club - 2000AD podcast, usually spotlighting classic storylines.

Malcom Gladwell - Revisionist History. Only heard about three but great quality. Probably been made into a book by now.

Test Match Special - although not as essential now the Aggers and Boycott partnership is no longer.

The Word - listening to the older ones at the moment, mostly Hepworth and Ellen and A.N.other gassing. I think later on they go for more of a interview format.

WTF - only listen to the ones with guests who interest me.

You Must Remember This - Fantastically well-researched Hollywood stories. Although it's mostly movie-focused, the first one I heard told the story of the recording of the third disc of the Frank Sinatra's 1979 Trilogy triple album. I was in straight away and have been ever since.

Comment

Comic Geek Speak - the longest running comic book podcast. Probably not for every comic book fan as they are not the most up to date and cutting edge but the presenters have a vast collective knowledge of the medium. I listen to every episode without fail and have done for years.
                                                    What's their orientation - more toward the superhero stuff or more toward the indie/standalones? I've really struggled to find a good comics podcast that isn't 90% superheroes, which I have nearly no interest in. Two-Headed Nerd was about as close as I could find, until the format change, but even that was too focused on 1st issues. I want something that would highlight good stories to seek out,whether they're new comics or not.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X