Podcasts Wot OTF People Are Listening To And Recommend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crusoe View Post
    GY, did you listen to the recent four-part podcast interviewing Sid Meier? (I'm assuming it was one of the ones on your list) Cracking stuff.
    Designer Notes. I think I only listened to the first couple.

Comment

I'm really, really into You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes. You have to hear it to understand it, I suppose.

Comment

Can anyone recommend a good app for podcasting (android)?

Comment

Pocket Casts. Recommended to me (by people who know about such things) and it works well for me.

Comment

Podcast Addict. Works for me well

Comment

Yes, I'm another Pocket Casts fan.

You do have to pay for it, but it's worth the few Euros it cost me. Lots of useful additional features (including playback speed, snooze and Chromecast support).

Comment

Apparently the Man on the Post football podcast has won awards.

I tuned in to their latest, to discuss the summer transfers, and England's youth team summer successes.

I would love a man better at words than I to review it properly. A podcast where the two presenters' lack of knowledge, even of their own clubs, is astonishing. I am left bewildered as to how anyone could listen to it and take any of it seriously.

"The lad at Villa who's name I can't pronounce" being the low point of the podcast, just pipping their complete wrongness about Will Hughes (only 12 goals in six seasons means he's a terrible signing, apparently). Outstandingly dreadful.

Comment

I get things wrong all the time in ours, primarily because my short-term memory is shot to shit, but also because I do so little preparation that I barely know what day of the week it is. I don't claim to come at anything from a position of authority, though.

Comment

James Richardson is leaving Guardian Football Weekly.

Comment

He's been off doing other things quite regularly so it's not surprising. Be good if they could get Dave Farrar.

Comment

Boo!

I guess Max Rushden is the obvious successor.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                          Boo!

I guess Max Rushden is the obvious successor.
                          God, I hope not. He's effective at linking and asking questions, but then he goes off about his own life and meeting X person that I'm supposed to know/be impressed with and I'm shouting "I! DON'T! CARE!"

Comment

Was Football Weekly the first successful football podcast? I can't think of one that's older.

Comment

Eleven years and still probably the best. But yes, I think it was the first big success.

First to do live shows in front of audiences too, I think.

Comment

Since this new one has been set up by Iain Macintosh, I would assume that Football Weekly is losing him as well, and that's probably as big a loss as James Richardson for the Guardian.

Comment

I'd like to give a special mention to Sounding Bored - music podcast fronted by Rob Langham (of Two Unfortunates fame.) I have to declare an interest as one of the regular contributors is an long standing and dear friend; but I wouldn't listen for the sake of it.

Others I regularly listen to (most are R4):

- Second Captains (have signed up for the paid service)
                                  - Any Questions / Any Answers *
                                  - The Archers
                                  - Best of Today
                                  - Desert Island Discs
                                  - A Duck in a Tree (weekly mix of music you might like if you read The Wire / listen to Resonance FM)
                                  - Feedback
                                  - Five Live Sport Specials
                                  - Game of Thrones (by Bald Move)
                                  - RHLSTP
                                  - In Our Time *
                                  - Kermode & Mayo
                                  - Kitchen Cabinet
                                  - Moral Maze *
                                  - Pienaar's Politics (Five Live)
                                  - Snooker Scene
                                  - Start the Week
                                  - Thinking Allowed
                                  - Today in Parliament
                                  - Week in Westminster
                                  - Westminster Hour

* These are on my 'may cull' list. Agree with the comments upthread re. Bragg / IOT; while AQ/AA and MM are listened to out of habit.

Infinite Monkey Cage I gave up on last year for the reasons already mentioned by others.

Comment

Whilst Melvyn Bragg is an absolute institution, perhaps it would be time for In Our Time to have a new anchor. Otherwise it will get canned by R4 pretty soon if Melvyn doesn't hang up his mike. It's a great show, I always learn a lot from it and many (not all) of the academics are very listenable and able to condense for the format. Or they were until I gave it up lately.

Who the presenter could be is a bit tricky though.

Comment

Latest SMERSHPod is up and is a wonderful love letter to The Living Daylights.

Comment

Radio 4 should give Bragg more time off and use the time to audition new presenters. I'm not convinced that he's lost it completely, but rather think that he just can't keep up with the schedule and preparation, which manifests itself in his increasingly common cringe-inducing rants.

It isn't an intrinsically difficult show to present. One just needs to be intellectually curious and willing to devote time to preparation. It could even "work" with a rotating cast of presenters.

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                                          Since this new one has been set up by Iain Macintosh, I would assume that Football Weekly is losing him as well, and that's probably as big a loss as James Richardson for the Guardian.
                                          Yeah, I texted a close friend who was very early on the Football Weekly bandwagon and he really drifted off listening due to the declining quality of the contributors. Mac was one of the very few recent additions who really contributed substantially.

I wouldn't be surprised if they bought a few long-time contributors along with them too, your Jonathan Wilsons and the like.

What does Bragg do that's so bad? I'm only a sporadic listener, when I do In Our Time I like to just power through a dozen interesting ones and skip the ones about physics or whatever that I don't care about.

Comment

He's gotten increasingly cranky, and becomes very testy with his panelists when he has misinterpreted a point they've made in their notes or when they discourage one of his pet theories.

It's a matter of tone as much as anything else.

Comment

I suppose I should give you guys my list.

Chapo Trap House (GREY WOLF AH-OOOOO)
                                              Age of Napoleon (a fairly new addition, done by a guy who has been on Chapo about the life of Napoleon - good if you like Revolutions)
                                              Baseball Tonight (OK, a broad survey of baseball. Usually listen to the Keith Law and Tim Kurkjian weekly interviews and that's it)
                                              The Bill Simmons podcast (usually good, ignore the NBA ones mostly as I don't care about the NBA)
                                              The Dollop (American history, usually done live by two comedians, one who doesn't know a thing and just riffs on the crazy story. It's good)
                                              Revolutions (a history of various revolutions, doing 1848 now)
                                              War Nerd Radio (meh....I'm probably going to quit paying their Patreon)
                                              Dan Carlin's Hardcore History, although he does maybe 2 episodes a year tops.

And a bunch of sports talk podcasts from local radio stations - their interviews and such. The two I'd recommend if you care are the Happy Hour (taken from an SF Bay Area TV show, surprisingly high level of debate) and Bob Ryan's Boston Podcast, where the sportswriter emeritus of Boston (and probably the greatest basketball sportswriter ever) interviews local figures. He's had Bob Cousy, Larry Bird, Charlie Pierce, Jackie MacMullen, Sean McDonough, etc. on it. Ryan's voice takes a lot of getting used to but literally no one knows more about Boston sports than him.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                Radio 4 should give Bragg more time off and use the time to audition new presenters.
                                                Careful though - in some cases when you do this you end up with Chris Christie.

I am awful with podcasts, though that Duck in a Tree is very tempting indeed for me to give it another run. Last time round on trying podcasts I went with WTF and discovered that I have a strong dislike of Marc Maron.
                                                Last edited by caja-dglh; 01-08-2017, 14:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                                                  Dan Carlin's Hardcore History, although he does maybe 2 episodes a year tops.

I'm a big fan of Dan Carlin - his History Podcast is obviously great (special mentions: Prophets of Doom and Ghosts of the Ostfront), but his Common Sense podcast is also good. An 'outsider' view of American politics - he's somewhat adrift at the moment, having always pined for an outsider and being given Donald Trump, but his opinion is always interesting. The recent 'cast on American healthcare was a good 'un.

I also enjoy Distraction Pieces, Adam Buxton, Serial, S-Town, Kermode & Mayo, along with a few more niche podcasts such as ones devoted to card game Magic the Gathering, which I won't go into here.

Comment

Jess McKenna, one of my favourite improv comedians to have appeared on the podcast scene in the last couple of years (check many great episodes of Improv4Humans, Comedy Bang Bang!), has a new musical improv show, Off Book. Very excited to check it out.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X