Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    You never can tell with bees.
    Teams
    Manchester United, River Plate and Barcelona
    Biscuit
    Dark chocolate digestive
    Actor
    A young David Bowie
    I am awful at listening to podcasts (I produce one, so that's about as much as I can bear each week) but one I came across before the World Cup, listened to the first few episodes of and then forgot about due to the World Cup and have just remembered again thanks to this thread is the History of Pirates Podcast. It's pretty good, from what I've listened to so far.

Despite not following baseball this year I really enjoy The Infinite Inning, Steven Goldman talks as much about baseball from the 50s and before as more recent stuff and has some nice guests.

One of my favourites as well.

Goldman is an excellent storyteller.

Came across the Stitcher app today, so if I go AWOL, will be due to getting lost in a sea of podcasts.

For anyone of a linguistic bent, Motherfoclóir is excellent.

Great, thanks, will definitely check that out

Ursus Arctos, I noticed Rukimini Callimachi has done several interviews with the Longform podcast, which you yourself recommended a while back –*they date back to around 2015 and they're absolutely fascinating.

Very much agree. She just did another one about ten days ago.

Teams
    Whoever was on the cover of World Soccer in the 90s
    Biscuit
    Speculaas
    The Infinite Inning has David Roth, and I will listen to anything by Roth.

The Deadcast has him and Drew Magary, and it's funny as hell.

The front line in the battle of red v. grey
    Teams
    Carlisle United, Liverpool, Bootle.
    Biscuit
    Tunnocks caramel wafer
    Actor
    A fat Ian Hislop
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
    Monster Talk is a podcast I have a lot of time for. It's a science show and the monster moniker covers a wide range of themes in addition to cryptozoology, such as mythology, aliens, legends and ghosts.

If you're curious, I'd recommend the episode on Atlantis, which was one of my favourites.
    Cheers SP, I'm hooked. Quite a back catalogue to work my way through!

Devouring the Age of Napoleon at the moment, filling in the rather large gaps in my knowledge of Bonaparte's early life, Corsica, politics and all that.
    Now we got to Toulon and the Army of Italy, very much enjoying the future Grands Noms appearing on the scene: Junot & Marmont (Toulon), Massena & Victor (Italy).
    Also, back in the USSR they used to love comparing the French & Russian revolutions. Remember thinking that it was awfully dull. Well, it's not dull anymore. Getting old, innit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sash View Post
    Devouring the Age of Napoleon at the moment, filling in the rather large gaps in my knowledge of Bonaparte's early life, Corsica, politics and all that.
    Now we got to Toulon and the Army of Italy, very much enjoying the future Grands Noms appearing on the scene: Junot & Marmont (Toulon), Massena & Victor (Italy).
    Also, back in the USSR they used to love comparing the French & Russian revolutions. Remember thinking that it was awfully dull. Well, it's not dull anymore. Getting old, innit.
    Very interesting - was looking for a historical one to complement the sport.

Nothing to do with OTF or OTFers, but a potentially interesting list of recommended film/book/music sorts of podcasts is here.

Teams
    UCLA, Lakers, Dodgers, Galaxy
    Biscuit
    Trader Joe's Maple Leaf cookies
    It has been mentioned elsewhere on here, but the series American Fiasco is indeed really good. I've only listened to a few, and thankfully after the first one it's less Roger Bennett talking about himself. He just rubs me the wrong way.

Teams
    Stockport County
    Biscuit
    Canterbury
    Quote Originally Posted by Furtho View Post
    Nothing to do with OTF or OTFers, but a potentially interesting list of recommended film/book/music sorts of podcasts is here.
    What caught my eye on there was: "In Star Wars Minute two guys watch the Star Wars movies one minute at a time and then talk about the one minute of Star Wars they just watched in great depth. Each episode is about half an hour long."

Following the link gives a few tasters of the most recent episodes, which are the last five minutes of Revenge of the Sith:

ROTS 141: "The End."
    ROTS 140: "We wrap up the closing credits"
    ROTS 139: "More closing credits"
    ROTS 138: "The closing credits continue"
    ROTS 137: "More closing credits"

Half an hour??

Wise, witty and ready to please
    Teams
    Southport, Berwick Rangers
    Biscuit
    Tunnock's Caramel Log
    Actor
    Barry Venison
    If you can't get at least thirty minutes discussion out of a copyright notice you're not trying.

From Stamford Bridge to Ufa via the German Cup, lit up by Kyrgyzstan’s very own VItalij Lux.
    https://audioboom.com/posts/6977441-...-bashkortostan
    (James, Sash, Michael Cox & Carl Anka)
    PS And I got a prediction right!

I ought to report you to the Gnome Office
    Teams
    Bolton Wanderers, SpVgg Unterhaching
    Must say, Joe Rogan's recent chat with Neil deGrasse Tyson was a high-point in the genre.
    https://youtu.be/vGc4mg5pul4

In The Dark, an investigative real life crime podcast which they put a year or more of work into, is amazing, gripping stories and serious journalism, scratches the same itch as Serial or Untold.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Dark_(podcast)

Teams
    Oxford United
    Biscuit
    Choco Leibniz
    Alice Fraser's recent stand-up set (three sets really), Trilogy, is now available as a podcast. It's great.

Teams
    Dumbarton
    Biscuit
    Trio
    Smodcast used to be good. It's fine for the first 3 or 4 years. Then Kevin Smith just stopped trying and it became garbage.

No Such Thing As A Fish is worth making an effort to listen to. And some of the BBC stuff like Friday night comedy or Infinite Monkey Cage. I used to listen to the World Football Phone In every week but I pick and choose now - Rotunda annoys me and with the best will in the world I don't really care about African football. It's Vickery and either Sarhas or Rzouki for me or I'll often give it a miss.

NY Times have produced a fantastic podcast on ISIS - it's tirtled 'Caliphate'. Ten episodes, and every one is a gem. Recommended.

All the world is birthday cake
    Teams
    Ajax, BVB
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
    Alice Fraser's recent stand-up set (three sets really), Trilogy, is now available as a podcast. It's great.
    Belated thanks for flagging this up. Very good indeed.

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
    Teams
    Penn State, Cincinnati Reds, State College Spikes
    Biscuit
    Girl Scout Thin Mints
    Actor
    Patton Oswalt
    For those so inclined, Pete Holmes recent appearance on Rob Bell's podcast was really good. For me, at least. I've listened to it multiple times. But I suppose you kind of have to know their podcasts and be inclined toward spiritual and religious mumbo-jumbo.

A bastion of rightness in a wrong old world.
    Teams
    Liverpool
    Biscuit
    Jaffa Cake
    Quote Originally Posted by Wouter D View Post
    Belated thanks for flagging this up. Very good indeed.
    She's awesome on The Bugle.

Teams
    Oxford United
    Biscuit
    Choco Leibniz
    Indeed. That's how I found out about it. It's a pretty different show though. Much more meditative, less silly. Except in occasional outbursts.