Podcasts Wot OTF People Are Listening To And Recommend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Podcasts Wot OTF People Are Listening To And Recommend

Mention of the Chart Music podcast in the other thread reminds that I meant to set up a thread for Podcasts Wot OTF People Are Listening To And Recommend. Though I've put it in here because it can be about anything.

Currently loving SMERSHPod, where John Raine (aka @MrKenShabby) and guest spend an hour going through each Bond film (in order) and discuss it. Quality ranges from good to really excellent, plus there was a fascinating sidepod on George Lazenby and this week a brilliant one with Guardian Football Weekly's Iain MacIntosh on the 1980 Flash Gordon which had me in stitches at times.

Guardian Football Weekly, Second Captains, In Our Time* and The Economist which is a subscription for work.

*although Melvyn Bragg is starting to get a bit impatient and irritable.

Comment

I don't really listen to podcasts, but I came across Pessimists Archive this morning, and enjoyed the first episode. Plus they're short enough to not be a major time sink, which is nice (not that I can criticise others on that front given my own podcast frequently tops and hour and a half per episode).

Comment

Aside from the usual - infinite monkey cage, various bbc documentaries and analysis programmes, football weekly, and so on, I recently discovered Malcolm Gladwell's show Revisionist History which I'm enjoying. And somewhat obscure the Beef and Dairy Podcast which is somewhat reminiscent of the original Alan Partridge radio show in places

Comment

Note to self: stop using the word somewhat

Comment

You did somewhat overdo it in that last post.

Comment

Another Football Weekly and I doubt I'm the only one listening to You Must Remember This, about the secret and/or forgotten history of Hollywood's first century. Also some NBA podcasts so I can pretend to know whats going on.

Originally posted by Sits View Post
              Guardian Football Weekly, Second Captains, In Our Time* and The Economist which is a subscription for work.

*although Melvyn Bragg is starting to get a bit impatient and irritable.

Isn't he. Feels a bit awkward listening to, especially when one of the panel go off on a tangent he hasn't agreed to

Comment

The Next Picture Show. Does what it says on the tin, which is:

A biweekly roundtable by the former editorial team of The Dissolve examining how classic films inspire and inform modern movies. Episodes take a deep dive into a classic film and its legacy in the first half, then compare and contrast that film with a modern successor in the second. Hosted and produced by Genevieve Koski, Keith Phipps, Tasha Robinson and Scott Tobias. Part of the Filmspotting family of podcasts and the Panoply Network

Comment

Comedy:

Jordan, Jesse, Go
                  Stop Podcasting Yourself
                  Answer Me This
                  My Brother My Brother And Me
                  No Such Thing As A Fish
                  Judge John Hodgman
                  International Waters
                  Spontaneanation
                  Comedy Bang Bang
                  Improv for Humans
                  The Infinite Monkey Cage
                  Probably Science
                  Hollywood Handbook
                  Harmontown
                  With Special Guest Lauren Lapkus
                  Beef and Dairy Network
                  2 Dope Queens
                  Competitive Erotic Fan Fiction
                  Sawbones
                  The Adventure Zone
                  The Adam Buxton Podcast
                  Hard Nation
                  Put Your Hands Together
                  Sklarbro Country
                  Uncle Bertie's Botanarium
                  Thrilling Adventure Hour
                  The Complete Woman
                  The Teacher's Lounge
                  Superego
                  The Kevin McDonald Show

Games:

8-4 Play
                  Giant Bombcast
                  Beastcast
                  One Life Left
                  Daft Souls
                  Crate and Crowbar
                  Cool Games Inc
                  DLC
                  Gamers With Jobs
                  Idle Thumbs
                  Idle Weekend
                  QT3
                  The Game Design Roundtable
                  Designer Notes
                  We Like Dota
                  Shut Up And Sit Down

Science:

Astronomy Cast
                  Nature
                  Guardian Science Weekly
                  All In The Mind
                  Little Atoms
                  Minute Physics
                  Space Boffins
                  Paleo After Dark
                  Sci Fri
                  The Skeptic's Guide To The Universe
                  Radiolab

History/General knowledge/Politics:

99% Invisible
                  This American Life
                  Analysis
                  BBC Documentaries
                  From Our Own Correspondent
                  In Our Time
                  Hardcore History
                  The History Of Philosophy Without Any Gaps
                  Philosophy Bites
                  The Philosopher's Arms
                  The Memory Palace
                  The Allusionist
                  What You Missed In History Class
                  More Perfect Union
                  Chapo Trap House
                  Hound Tall

Tech:

The Vergecast
                  Guardian Tech Weekly

Movies:

Quarter to Three
                  How Did This Get Made
                  The Flop House
                  Doug Love Movies
                  Kermode and Mayo
                  The Canon
                  We Hate Movies

Storytelling:

The Truth
                  Risk!
                  The Moth
                  Welcome To Nightvale
                  The Message
                  Limetown

Comics:

Two Headed Nerd
                  War Rocket Ajax

Other stuff:

Oh No Ross And Carrie
                  Song Exploder
                  Sleep With Me
                  Important If True

Comment

How much time do you have GY? How do you fit all of that in?

(Think I would have filed Infinite Monkey Cage as science with comedy in rather than comedy with science in)

Comment

Originally posted by Excitable_Boy View Post
                      Isn't he. Feels a bit awkward listening to, especially when one of the panel go off on a tangent he hasn't agreed to
                      Exactly. I always enjoyed these then just over a month ago I had to stop one half way through. Felt awkward and a little bit sad.

Comment

I thought my podcast subscriptions were excessive until I saw GY's.

I rather like Monster Talk, which covers folklore, monsters and cryptozoology.

Comment

Here's an abbreviated list with descriptions for the uninitiated/curious:

Comedy:

Comedy Bang Bang: Character-based improv show which regularly has amazing guests. Probably the single most indispensable podcast in my feed. Lots of in jokes, though, so maybe start with the end of year best-ofs.
                          Spontaneanation: Improv show hosted by the incomparable Paul F Tompkins, with the sketch riffing off a discussion with that week's guest.

Games:

Crate and Crowbar: UK, largely PC focused podcasts, hosted by former PC Gamer types. Sometimes features Tom Francis, who has produced my favourite games writing.
                          Idle Thumbs: Games and robot news talk show hosted by the people behind Firewatch (though the show precedes the studio's formation). They talk about game design in a really thoughtful way.

Science:

Astronomy Cast: Does what it says on the tin. Everything you ever wanted to know about space.
                          Radiolab: Somewhat overproduced but always fascinating show about fascinating phenomena at the intersection of science and culture.

History/General knowledge:

99% Invisible: Ostensibly an architecture and design podcast, but really bite sized modern history lessons
                          Hardcore History: Pretty much the opposite. Deep dives on big subjects.

Movies:

QuarterToThree: Three friends discuss a movie of the week, including a silly synopsis, and then compare lists of three best Xs in movies
                          The Flop House: The best of the bad movie podcasts, at least if you're not going to watch the films. The hosts are extremely funny and have great chemistry, so you get some great extended riffs.

Storytelling:

The Moth: True stories told without notes is how it's pitched. Usually some combination of funny and heartbreaking, but always gripping.
                          Welcome To Nightvale: Probably the most famous/popular of the fiction podcasts. Praire Home Companion meets Lovecraft, basically. Possibly running out of steam after 90 episodes, but they've got a bunch of spin-offs in the works (not to mention things like Limetown and The Message which took inspiration from them and Serial).

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                            How much time do you have GY? How do you fit all of that in?
                            In practice I don't. Maybe half of the podcasts are must listens every episode. Maybe another quarter get listened to weeks later on long journeys or days off. And the remainder I see from the episode description I'm never going to listen to.

But in general I do listen to podcasts more or less non-stop when I'm not working or sleeping. I take my headphones everywhere.

Comment

All comedy.

The Bugle - not as good without John Oliver, but I like Andy Zaltzmann solo and usually make it along to one of his London gigs each year. With a rotating cast of co-presenters, it's more hit and miss than before, however still worth the time invested.

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcasts - I can take or leave Herring, but his Rolodex serves up some genuinely interesting guests. The recent Paul Merton one was instructive as well as funny and left me with a deeper understanding and respect for him. Generally speaking the bigger the name, the more Herring reins his silliness in, so I tend to skip many of the lower-profile episodes.

The Adam Buxton Podcasts: another host that may divide opinion, but I'm on board - and again, he's able to attract some fascinating people to chat to.

Used to check out the Bigmouth music & arts pod hosted by Andrew Harrison, ex of The Word magazine, but haven't kept up with it recently. It was a little circlejerky.
                              Last edited by Auntie Beryl; 14-07-2017, 09:17.

Comment

Huh. Don't know how the Bugle got left off my list. That's definitely a must listen, even without Oliver.

Comment

We're recording our 100th podcast tomorrow. No idea what subject it'll be yet, and that's with us taking a summer recess from The Football and all. We're planning a second one called Goodnight Sweetcast too, in which we watch an episode of Goodnight Sweetheart each week and discuss its frankly troubling bigamist themes whilst drunk.

Football-wise, another shout for GFW. I also listen to The Game (although some of the guests - notably some of the ex-pros - grind my gears somewhat, The Blizzard (though they can be a little dry for my taste), The Sound of Football and Football Fives.

Non-football-wise, This American Life has gone off the boil over the last couple of years or so, I rather think, though Radiolab is still okay when they pull their fingers out, and TEDTalks are the only ones that I actually listen to.

Comment

I liked Herring until the car crash podcast he did interviewing Stephen Merchant. Genuinely uncomfortable listening, he just didn't know how to rein it in.

GY, did you listen to the recent four-part podcast interviewing Sid Meier? (I'm assuming it was one of the ones on your list) Cracking stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Crusoe View Post
                                      I liked Herring until the car crash podcast he did interviewing Stephen Merchant. Genuinely uncomfortable listening, he just didn't know how to rein it in.
                                      I never clicked to download that one. Its reputation preceded it.

Comment

I didn't post my full list - Guardian Football Weekly obviously, the Burnley FC pod No Nay Never, wrestling pods* Cheap Heat, Wrestling with Bruce Prichard and The Masked Man Show (though I often skip the first two unless the subjects are interesting) and Pod Save America, hosted by three ex-Obama staffers. (Used to be called Keeping It 1600 when on The Ringer.) Occasionally Film Sack if the movie under discussion is interesting, too.

I didn't get on with the The Infinite Monkey Cage - the comedians often seem to be there to do Their Gags as opposed to actually contribute to the subject. I mean, I could probably talk about Astrophysics at the same level as Shappi Bloody Khorsandi. I sacked off the Football Ramble for much the same reasons, once the Dean Windass Hall of Fame was dropped it was pretty much little insight + plus lots of media whoring = dull.

*Yes, I like wrestling. I have hidden shallows.

Comment

I lasted about five minutes into one episode of Football Ramble before conceding on that. I find its popularity absolutely baffling.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                            I didn't get on with the The Infinite Monkey Cage - the comedians often seem to be there to do Their Gags as opposed to actually contribute to the subject. I mean, I could probably talk about Astrophysics at the same level as Shappi Bloody Khorsandi. I sacked off the Football Ramble for much the same reasons, once the Dean Windass Hall of Fame was dropped it was pretty much little insight + plus lots of media whoring = dull.
                                            Oh, thank god, I thought I was the only one who couldn't get on with these. Both for the same reason, too. The Football Ramble just felt like a stream of in-jokes with little content - Football Weekly can have its moments but there's usually decent discussion on there as well.

Comment

Mind you, I think I'm the anti-GY. I cut back my previous listening so now it's just Football Weekly and an irregular ambient/drone podcast called Headphone Commute.

I ended up binning Welcome To Night Vale, Limetown, The Kitchen Cabinet (R4 cooking panel discussion chaired by Jay Rayner), now I just dip occasionally into specific episodes of podcasts. Going to give the Smershpod with Iain Macintosh that was recommended upthread a go.

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                                                I lasted about five minutes into one episode of Football Ramble before conceding on that. I find its popularity absolutely baffling.
                                                Same for me with Nightvale. And I did about 15 minutes of Oh No Ross and Carrie before I actually started plotting their deaths.

Comment

I am an idiot who can't read

Comment

Working...
                                                  X