No announcement yet.

Podcasts Wot OTF People Are Listening To And Recommend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am awful at listening to podcasts (I produce one, so that's about as much as I can bear each week) but one I came across before the World Cup, listened to the first few episodes of and then forgot about due to the World Cup and have just remembered again thanks to this thread is the History of Pirates Podcast. It's pretty good, from what I've listened to so far.

Comment

Despite not following baseball this year I really enjoy The Infinite Inning, Steven Goldman talks as much about baseball from the 50s and before as more recent stuff and has some nice guests.

Comment

One of my favourites as well.

Goldman is an excellent storyteller.

Comment

Came across the Stitcher app today, so if I go AWOL, will be due to getting lost in a sea of podcasts.

Comment

For anyone of a linguistic bent, Motherfoclóir is excellent.

Comment

Great, thanks, will definitely check that out

Ursus Arctos, I noticed Rukimini Callimachi has done several interviews with the Longform podcast, which you yourself recommended a while back –*they date back to around 2015 and they're absolutely fascinating.

Comment

Very much agree. She just did another one about ten days ago.

Comment

The Infinite Inning has David Roth, and I will listen to anything by Roth.

The Deadcast has him and Drew Magary, and it's funny as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                    Monster Talk is a podcast I have a lot of time for. It's a science show and the monster moniker covers a wide range of themes in addition to cryptozoology, such as mythology, aliens, legends and ghosts.

If you're curious, I'd recommend the episode on Atlantis, which was one of my favourites.
                    Cheers SP, I'm hooked. Quite a back catalogue to work my way through!

Comment

Devouring the Age of Napoleon at the moment, filling in the rather large gaps in my knowledge of Bonaparte's early life, Corsica, politics and all that.
                      Now we got to Toulon and the Army of Italy, very much enjoying the future Grands Noms appearing on the scene: Junot & Marmont (Toulon), Massena & Victor (Italy).
                      Also, back in the USSR they used to love comparing the French & Russian revolutions. Remember thinking that it was awfully dull. Well, it's not dull anymore. Getting old, innit.

Comment

Originally posted by Sash View Post
                        Devouring the Age of Napoleon at the moment, filling in the rather large gaps in my knowledge of Bonaparte's early life, Corsica, politics and all that.
                        Now we got to Toulon and the Army of Italy, very much enjoying the future Grands Noms appearing on the scene: Junot & Marmont (Toulon), Massena & Victor (Italy).
                        Also, back in the USSR they used to love comparing the French & Russian revolutions. Remember thinking that it was awfully dull. Well, it's not dull anymore. Getting old, innit.
                        Very interesting - was looking for a historical one to complement the sport.

Comment

Nothing to do with OTF or OTFers, but a potentially interesting list of recommended film/book/music sorts of podcasts is here.

Comment

It has been mentioned elsewhere on here, but the series American Fiasco is indeed really good. I've only listened to a few, and thankfully after the first one it's less Roger Bennett talking about himself. He just rubs me the wrong way.

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
                              Nothing to do with OTF or OTFers, but a potentially interesting list of recommended film/book/music sorts of podcasts is here.
                              What caught my eye on there was: "In Star Wars Minute two guys watch the Star Wars movies one minute at a time and then talk about the one minute of Star Wars they just watched in great depth. Each episode is about half an hour long."

Following the link gives a few tasters of the most recent episodes, which are the last five minutes of Revenge of the Sith:

ROTS 141: "The End."
                              ROTS 140: "We wrap up the closing credits"
                              ROTS 139: "More closing credits"
                              ROTS 138: "The closing credits continue"
                              ROTS 137: "More closing credits"

Half an hour??

Comment

If you can't get at least thirty minutes discussion out of a copyright notice you're not trying.

Comment

From Stamford Bridge to Ufa via the German Cup, lit up by Kyrgyzstan’s very own VItalij Lux.
                                  https://audioboom.com/posts/6977441-...-bashkortostan
                                  (James, Sash, Michael Cox & Carl Anka)
                                  PS And I got a prediction right!

Comment

Must say, Joe Rogan's recent chat with Neil deGrasse Tyson was a high-point in the genre.
                                    https://youtu.be/vGc4mg5pul4

Comment

In The Dark, an investigative real life crime podcast which they put a year or more of work into, is amazing, gripping stories and serious journalism, scratches the same itch as Serial or Untold.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Dark_(podcast)

Comment

Alice Fraser's recent stand-up set (three sets really), Trilogy, is now available as a podcast. It's great.

Comment

Smodcast used to be good. It's fine for the first 3 or 4 years. Then Kevin Smith just stopped trying and it became garbage.

No Such Thing As A Fish is worth making an effort to listen to. And some of the BBC stuff like Friday night comedy or Infinite Monkey Cage. I used to listen to the World Football Phone In every week but I pick and choose now - Rotunda annoys me and with the best will in the world I don't really care about African football. It's Vickery and either Sarhas or Rzouki for me or I'll often give it a miss.

Comment

NY Times have produced a fantastic podcast on ISIS - it's tirtled 'Caliphate'. Ten episodes, and every one is a gem. Recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                              Alice Fraser's recent stand-up set (three sets really), Trilogy, is now available as a podcast. It's great.
                                              Belated thanks for flagging this up. Very good indeed.

Comment

For those so inclined, Pete Holmes recent appearance on Rob Bell's podcast was really good. For me, at least. I've listened to it multiple times. But I suppose you kind of have to know their podcasts and be inclined toward spiritual and religious mumbo-jumbo.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                                                  Belated thanks for flagging this up. Very good indeed.
                                                  She's awesome on The Bugle.

Comment

Indeed. That's how I found out about it. It's a pretty different show though. Much more meditative, less silly. Except in occasional outbursts.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X