No announcement yet.

Podcasts Wot OTF People Are Listening To And Recommend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, there really aren't any genuinely credible legal experts on 45's side of many of these issues, and the large stable of guys he already has on retainer get plenty of air time on their own.

Comment

The James Richardson film podcast contributors other than Richardson himself surely do love their high rising terminals. So many of their statements sound like questions. It's a bit distracting and it makes them sound like they don't have confidence in their opinions. Those opinions are generally rather bland Film Studies 101 stuff anyway. But I'm sure they're very good at networking.

Comment

Originally posted by Haddock View Post
        The James Richardson film podcast contributors other than Richardson himself surely do love their high rising terminals. So many of their statements sound like questions. It's a bit distracting and it makes them sound like they don't have confidence in their opinions. Those opinions are generally rather bland Film Studies 101 stuff anyway. But I'm sure they're very good at networking.
        I love James Richardson but his way of asking questions by ending a statement with "No?" is annoying, no?

Comment

I genuinely wonder if he did that before his time in Italy.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
            I am interested to know what the politics are. Having taken the opportunity to appear on richardson's podcast have you burned your bridges re the Guardian one?
            As a mere semi-pro I have to keep it real. Don't think I could manage both tbh.
            I think only Philippe has done both so far.

Meanwhile, Iain's thinking BIG
            http://www.businessinsider.com/iain-...17-9?r=UK&IR=T

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              Sash did a brilliant job of conveying a lot of meaningful information quickly and efficiently.

Very much hope he becomes their regular Russian/Geo-politics contributor.
              Thank you!

Today's effort:
              https://audioboom.com/posts/6354366-...e-peru-kit?t=0
              (with James, Iain and Jack Lang)

Not listened back to it yet but very little Russian football or geopolitics. It's a miracle I even made into the studio tbh as
              1. East Coast Main Line pretty much collapsed last night.
              2. This happened in Wimbledon this morning on the train ahead of mine: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-41466140. Was delayed by an hour.

Comment

Smershpod, having done a side special on On The Buses have a new one up on the "classic" The Wild Geese.

Comment

1. Having just listened to the episodes on Constantine and Wuthering Heights, I was too hasty in my judgement of Melvyn Bragg on In Our Time.

2. Guardian Football Weekly is great fun lately. The panel seem to be enjoying it too.

Comment

Neil MacGregor has a new one in the same vein as A History of the World in 100 Objects and Germany: Memories of a Nation

Living with the Gods

Comment

Nice interview with BDG on yesterday's Guardian football podcast

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                        1. Having just listened to the episodes on Constantine and Wuthering Heights, I was too hasty in my judgement of Melvyn Bragg on In Our Time.
                        I think he was just going through a bad patch where he came across as too grumpy. He's been much better lately and his questions are pretty much all about making sure the expert gives the background that someone who knows absolutely nothing about the subject would require to understand the more in depth stuff. I just wish they could give more time to some subjects but I guess that's the format isn't it? One subject, one episode. But I could have listened to another episode about Aphra Ben, or the Congress of Vienna or The American Populists.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                          Nice interview with BDG on yesterday's Guardian football podcast
                          Really? I thought I'd listened to that but I must have missed it.

Comment

On the TFS today with James, Iain & Daniel Storey.
                            https://audioboom.com/posts/6461984-...soar-of-course

Comment

This is very niche, but there's currently a weekly-ish podcast discussing Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun, chapter-by-chapter. It's called Alzabo Soup and it's on iTunes etc. I've seen in the past that there are a couple more posters on here who fans of the book so I thought I'd share the info.
                              It's up to Chapter 8 of the first volume so far. I don't agree with some of their analysis, (their contortions absolving Wolfe from misogyny while damning his protagonist are a bit painful to listen to) and think at times they make some quite basic misreadings but it's stimulating enough and in any case the world isn't exactly overloaded with BotNS podcasts

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion of Longform – that's excellent. My current favourites:

Reply All (whose creators have just been on Longform)
                                Here Be Monsters (immersive, storytelling documentaries about 'the unknown')
                                The Vergecast (approachable tech stuff)
                                Untold (continuing odds and ends on the Daniel Morgan murder, police corruption in South East London, and News International)
                                The Analyst – Inside Cricket (Simon Hughes and Simon Mann, pretty good cricket podcast in the absence of ESPN Cricinfo's Switch Hit(
                                Not The Top 20 (Football League sans Premiership)

Comment

Originally posted by Sash View Post
                                  On the TFS today with James, Iain & Daniel Storey.
                                  https://audioboom.com/posts/6461984-...soar-of-course
                                  Good stuff.

I've dropped FW in favour of TFS, purely because I only have time for one football podcast a week (thanks to taking two hours a day off my commute). It's just a matter of personal taste but for me ACJimbo wins out over Rushden.

Comment

I've actually gone the other way. I started listening to both, but now, unless I have lots of extra listening time* I go with FW. Rushden is far from perfect, but I think he's been sailing the right side of the dreaded banter line, while it does also seem that the podcast is much more fun now (there was one episode with both Jonathan Wilson and Barney Ronay on which was superb, because those two are a great double act). Richardson is a better presenter in many ways, but I don't really get the impression that he really understands or actually cares about football that much. He likes describing fantastic goals, but that seems to be his level of interest.

(*Or, unless sash is on, as this week)

Comment

Yeah, I think Max has settled in quite nicely and some of the new pundits have been good. Don't have time for another football podcast. Shame Rafael Honigstein's not there any more.

Comment

Yeah, I think I could put up a similar argument had I gone the other way.

Comment

With no disrespect to Sash I don't have time for TFS either. Two FWs per week, plus Second Captains' (free) football ome are all the football podcasts I have time for.

Comment

The FSF Awards on Monday were... errr... interesting as James presented Barry with the FSF Podcast of the Year award for Football Weekly.

Went up to Liverpool for the match last night, winding up on 2 podcasts in 12 hours in 2 cities.

The Anfield Wrap last night
                                            https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2017/...st-match-show/
                                            The Totally Football Show this morning
                                            https://audioboom.com/posts/6541109-...s-on-the-volga

Comment

Joe Rogan interviews Doug Stanhope... again

Fuck me. It's so good, and so looong. Worth every second. (Get wrecked)

Comment

Was on the TFS today with Julien, Ian Irving and Benji Lanyado.
                                                https://audioboom.com/posts/6598399-...er-of-all-time
                                                Focused a bit too much on Liverpool tbh.

Comment

I'm getting way into the History of England podcast.
                                                  https://thehistoryofengland.co.uk/

Comment

Back on the Totally Football Show today with Ian Irving, Daniel Storey & Caroline Barker standing in for James, who is skiing.
                                                    https://audioboom.com/posts/6669885-...ie-adam-s-neck
                                                    (Very pleased with it tbh. Reckon it's my best one so far.)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X