Podcasts Wot OTF People Are Listening To And Recommend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sits View Post
    Put me on the list for Rushden and his fixed and floating selection of panellists. It's good to hear the stalwarts like Barry, Barney et al, along with a consistently fresh rotation of newer arrivals like Priya Ramesh (excellent) Archie Rhind-Tutt etc.

And they sound as though they enjoy what they're doing. This comes from Rushden.
    Yes, I get the feeling the anti-Max brigade has subsided. I'm hoping the growing cult-of-Glendenning doesn't go to Bazza's head.

Comment

Monster Talk is a podcast I have a lot of time for. It's a science show and the monster moniker covers a wide range of themes in addition to cryptozoology, such as mythology, aliens, legends and ghosts.

If you're curious, I'd recommend the episode on Atlantis, which was one of my favourites.

Comment

Did Game of Our Lives with David Goldblatt the other week
        https://gameofourlives.fm/blog-1/seasontwo-3dnb8

Comment

Originally posted by Sash View Post
          Did Game of Our Lives with David Goldblatt the other week
          https://gameofourlives.fm/blog-1/seasontwo-3dnb8
          Thanks for that, I enjoyed it.

Comment

Spasibo

Sash has graced the astroturf of Seaview, representing IIRC a Russian-Scouse stag party XI. And was then serenaded by name in the bar afterwards...

Comment

The one where I get totally carried away and allow myself to get mildly optimistic about Russia's chances against Egypt (~34:40 in).
              https://audioboom.com/posts/6901485-...nt-proposition
              PS In the studio tonight, probably with football pie all over my shirt.

Comment

Enjoying the return of the 200% podcast for the WC.

Comment

In the studio straight after Russia-Egypt:

"Unbelievable! Unbelievable this!"

https://audioboom.com/posts/6902952-...ussian-history

Comment

Anyone else struggling to keep up with their football podcast habit during the World Cup?

I listen to three and have started to dabble with a fourth, which is 2-3 hours of pods on top of the 6 hours of matches.

Comment

Last night's pod (Russia-Spain, Croatia-Denmark):
                      https://audioboom.com/posts/6916852-a-godless-wasteland
                      (James Richardson + Sash, Carl Anka, Daniel Storey)

Comment

I've thumbed through these 7 pages and have not seen a plug for Cocaine and Rhinestones.

Podcast is put together by Tyler Mahan Coe (son of David Allan Coe) and his delivery is very much like Ron Howard's voice over for Arrested Development, but the kid is really good and spends a decent chunk going over his sources.

You do NOT have to be a country music fan to truly dig this podcast.

Comment

Cheers Cal. Will try out the Bobby Gentry episode.

My aunt had four brothers, then married a McAllister and had four sons. Her brothers were Billy, Joe, Davy and Jim. Guess which two of her sons were named after their maternal uncles?

Comment

The other night I had a dream about a podcast host. The language podcast I mention above, Lexicon Valley, is wonderful and I've been working my way through from 2012 to the present day. However, in 2015, there's a sudden change of hosts, from media savvy double act Mike Vuolo and Bob Garfield to academic John McWhorter. It's still (very) good, but I'm bereft –*the previous team seemed to capture something essential about language because it was two of them, discussing, arguing, riffing. Bob Garfield (who is a veteran broadcaster in his own right) appeared in my dream the other day and I tried to ask him why the change. He didn't answer, but then again, he is a bit of a smartarse, it's his thing.

Anyway, after a bit of digging it seemed that Slate let several people go around 2016, one of them Mike Vuolo, who may (or may not) have been involved in union efforts at that organisation. So that might explain the abrupt and, to me, traumatic change. God, I get upset just thinking about it. I'll continue to listen, but I don't think it'll ever be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Sash View Post
                              Last night's pod (Russia-Spain, Croatia-Denmark):
                              https://audioboom.com/posts/6916852-a-godless-wasteland
                              (James Richardson + Sash, Carl Anka, Daniel Storey)
                              I forgot about this thread (indeed, I've not been on here much in recent weeks), but you might've given a plug to the one I was on last week!

Comment

Can you give us a link Sam?

Comment

Um ... maybe tomorrow if I remember. I'll have to get into my Twitter DMs to remind myself exactly which day it was.

Comment

From 2:30 here

Comment

Sorry I missed that at the time. I just haven't been able to listen to both TFS and GW each day at night before the next day's games start in the morning.

Comment

England-Sweden, Russia-Croatia
                                        James + Sash, Coxy & Horncastle + Rory Smith on the phone from Sochi
                                        https://audioboom.com/posts/6924045-liquid-history

Comment

I posted what's below on the WC 2018 pages, but i guess it belongs in here.

Because I’ve been enthused by this World Cup but not having anyone much to chat to about it, I’ve been listening to various, mostly British podcasts.
                                          I’m a regular Guardian pod listener, which I think had been better the last season than for quite a few years. The WC edition has pretty much kept up that standard. The others I’ve listened to have been mostly new to me. I can see from the above posts that OTF regulars are involved in pods, especially the Totally one. Sorry to anyone I annoy with my comments. Just one guy's opinion, as Sam Malone says in the Sammy the Sportscaster episode of Cheers

Totally Football: OK, but a bit of phoning it in at times from ennui-afflicted football journos. Less sniffy about England’s success than I expected
                                          The Times: what football podcasts would be like after the Invasion of the Bodysnatchers. Very England-centric but really not in any sort of enthused way; they might as well be discussing last quarter’s above-average biscuit sales in the Humberside division.
                                          Football Ramble: Living the Ladbroke’s Life in audio form
                                          Independent: Giles Wembley-Hogg goes off to Samara
                                          Second Captains (free version). Very good indeed. I don’t get some of the references, not being Irish or living in Ireland but it’s much more amusing and informed than any of the other non-regular listens.
                                          Last edited by Haddock; 11-07-2018, 05:05.

Comment

Zis. The final one.
                                            https://audioboom.com/posts/6933209-la-fin
                                            (James + Sash, Tom Williams, Matt Davies, James Horncastle)

Comment

Spasiba

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                                Spasiba
                                                Пожалуйста.
                                                I hope I made a good job of embracing my disastrous prediction of a Russian disaster.
                                                I now need to lie down in a dark room without football for... errr... about 4 weeks.

Comment

The New York Times’ Caliphate is gripping and sometimes revelatory but a little puzzling in parts.

Comment

I would agree with that characterisation.

Calimachi is rather unique reporter, and that comes through (for better and worse) on the podcast.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X