No announcement yet.

Podcasts Wot OTF People Are Listening To And Recommend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wycombe's Marcus Bean was on Monday's GFW and very good he was too.

Comment

Today’s Totally Football Show.
      https://audioboom.com/posts/7010457-...econd-syllable
      (James, Sash, Daniel Storey & Ian Irving)
      Felt like we covered literally loads. Props to Producer Ben for condensing this down to an hour.

Comment

VT, although I found Caliphate completely gripping, I found myself pondering over the structure of it, and the way if moved quite casually from the particular case to the general process of trying to report on Isis in an information vacuum. The latter is still absolutely fascinating, because it is such an information vacuum, but I found that there wasn't much reflection on this – the difficulties, the dead-ends, the areas we don't or will never know. I though Serial did this maybe a bit better. In retrospect, I think they started and then had to change up halfway through. Still amazing reporting though, of course.

So I've got to the end of In The Dark series 2, and it really is staggeringly good. The amount of journalism that has gone into it is humbling – five reporters and producers moved from Minnesota to Mississippi for a whole year to report on the case. And their work is painstaking, patient and relentless. There are incredible searches for documents and people that reveal a rancid underbelly of poor or non-existent record keeping, systematic bias in the legal system, and much more. It's a case that, if anything, raises much wider questions for US justice than the first series of Serial.

They have just released a new update on the case. Lola Flowers, the mother of Curtis Flowers who case is discussed in the pod, has tragically died since the conclusion of the series.

https://www.apmreports.org/story/201...dark-s2-update
        Last edited by diggedy derek; 18-09-2018, 09:01.

Comment

Thanks for the "Caliphate" recommendation VT, I listened to the whole thing on a long drive to Kent and back (from Loughborough).

Was gripped from start to finish although I was confused slightly when my iPhone decided to play two of the episodes out of sequence.

Comment

All about podcasts on The Premier League Show tonight (BBC Two, 10 pm)

Comment

I note that Gimlet's podcast Crimetown, on corrupt and gang cities in the US, is finally back for a second season. Detroit follows a debut series on Providence. It is, as far as I can tell, well researched and very nicely made, although just a little bit more breezy and general than I'd like, with a bit less detail. In this it resembles Gimlet's excellent hiphop doc Mogul, which was also a gripping and entertaining listen.

Comment

I don't listen to too many podcasts but have recently (i.e this summer) started listening to the Slow Burn podcasts by Slate. First series was on Watergate and the current one is on the Lewinsky Scandal. Available on Spotify and other providers no doubt. Also listened to The RFK Tapes which investigates his assassination whilst providing some (im)plausible conspiracies.

Comment

Is Providence a bit of a gang hub? (I can imagine drug importing?)

Comment

Monday's TFS:
                    https://audioboom.com/posts/7037172-...rich-the-great
                    (James, Sash, Michael Cox, Daniel Storey)

Comment

Always been a fan of David McWilliams and his interview with Blindboy of the Rubberbandits is pretty good. Look for the Blindboy podcast on your usual provider or

https://www.acast.com/blindboy/davidmcwilliams

(For those who don't know, McWilliams is to economics what Professor Brian Cox is to physics i.e. a bloke who is very good and getting complex issues and ideas over to an audience.)

Comment

The recent interview with George Martin's biographer, Kenneth Womack, on the Word in Your Ear podcast, was a fascinating listen (if you're a Beatles nerd).

Comment

Monday's TFS.
                          From the Emirates to the Gran Chaco. It's all there.
                          https://audioboom.com/posts/7073690-...-imperfections
                          (James, Sash, Melissa Reddy, Benji Lanyado)

Comment

I recommend The Hillarious World Of Depression, especially if that's something you're managing, but the recent episode they did live in St. Paul has a bit that I think anyone could find funny. The assembled guests - Amy Mann, Ted Leo, Ana Marie Cox, Paul F Thompkins, and the host John Moe read unintentionally hilarious one-star reviews from Google reviews about places like the Grand Canyon and Paris.

https://www.apmpodcasts.org/thwod/20...of-depression/

Comment

Dream journo match-up this week with Madeleine Baran of In The Dark on the Longform podcast. She talks at some length about how they are an investigative podcast not a true crime podcast, and how they choose what they choose to investigate on the basis of it raising wider questions.

Have we talked about That Peter Crouch Podcast yet? Whether you like him or not, the format is fresh and gets places other conversations wouldn’t - a little like a UK version of WTF, but football focused. It will be copied to death.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                Have we talked about That Peter Crouch Podcast yet? Whether you like him or not, the format is fresh and gets places other conversations wouldn’t - a little like a UK version of WTF, but football focused. It will be copied to death.
                                The trailers on Radio 5 where Crouch says something vaguely funny and the rest of his "crew" fall about laughing makes me think it'll be the most bantz filled of banterfests and, thus, I have avoided it like the plague.

Comment

M. Tracteur- well guessed. It's pretty bad.

Comment

There's certainly banter there, but also lots of discussion of relationships with managers, tactics, and so on. The dumb format gets places more formal or predictable interviews don't because he's forced to address them without giving pro forma answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel
                                      For me, that just gives a Florida SouthWestern State College login page.

Comment

Sorry, I meant this. Link is to an episode on the 'Beatles 1967-70' album:

https://soundcloud.com/fabcast-870039074

Comment

A big old pod this week (James, Sash*, Coxy, Ian + Alvaro & Horncastle on the phone)
                                          https://audioboom.com/posts/7112597-this-does-not-slip
                                          *went to Bournemouth-Liverpool & Chelsea-City but, sadly, couldn’t make it to Madrid.

Comment

Recent listening:

The Offensive - weekly mockumentary about a fictional Premier League club, from the same company behind The Football Ramble. It's entertaining, but patchy and unsubtle; the sporting director character is a straight lift of Jamie from The Thick of It.

Season 2 of Limetown - a conspiracy theory drama about a missing town, experiments into telepathy, and corporate infighting. Diverting for a train ride, and not overlong - six episodes in the first season, five in the second.

And my continuing favourite, the occasional Headphone Commute podcast - extended ambient/drone/modern classical mixes.

Comment

Ooh, didn't realise there was a season 2. Not sure how they justify that after how season 1 ended.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                                Always been a fan of David McWilliams and his interview with Blindboy of the Rubberbandits is pretty good. Look for the Blindboy podcast on your usual provider or

https://www.acast.com/blindboy/davidmcwilliams

(For those who don't know, McWilliams is to economics what Professor Brian Cox is to physics i.e. a bloke who is very good and getting complex issues and ideas over to an audience.)
                                                ooooh. Don't let any Irish Otfers hear you say that.
                                                Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 13-12-2018, 15:53.

Comment

+1, his advice to Lenihan on the banks is one of McWilliams little faux pas

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                                    Ooh, didn't realise there was a season 2. Not sure how they justify that after how season 1 ended.
                                                    Played with a straight bat, it's a basic sequel to the events of the last episode.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X