Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What , too much Midlands this week?

Comment

No - I think I'm there now, it just time to really listen.

Comment

OK I did baulk at the length, but this one was very good. It filled a trip between Munich and Manchester.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
          Geldolf gets a fine savaging from Taylor. What a terrible wanker he was.

His Bobness, not Taylor.
          Oh yeah, Taylor gets properly angry there. And he absolutely articulates my thoughts on that, "and the lesson today is how to die" thing at Live Aid. Right up there with using "Drive" to score the images of starving children, on account of one fucking line. If Geldof didn't hate black music so much, he'd have been able to find a dozen more suitable songs on records by Marvin Gaye or Stevie Wonder or, you know, lesser known artists. But, no, The Cars inquiring about your mode of transport as you endeavour to return to your place of residence.

Comment

By the way, quite spooky that the podcast came out, I think, just a day or so before the death of Heatwave singer Johnny Wilder, who is being discussed for his performance of "Always And Forever". When that came on I really hoped that nobody says anything bad about him. And I was relieved when everything was very positive.

Comment

Caught up with this over the weekend - liked the mention of the comic Scoop, and its strange computer simulated matches, I never really understood the point of them. But I used to like Jon Stark, Matchwinner for Hire.

Comment

Didn't Scoop have a 'You are the Star' type thing? (Did they mention that in the podcast?)

Comment

While waiting for the new episode to be put up, I was just thinking about what Taylor was saying about Blondie, and his abasing apology to Aphrodite for not fancying Debbie Harry. But I completely get what he was saying. Debbie Harry is Awesome. Not in an inarticulate way of saying very good. I mean like the old testament god. but a key part of how Blondie presented themselves was to choose songs that kind of made Debbie Harry seem like a really dangerous maniac. Consider the song Hanging on the telephone.

The orginal song by The Nerves is a good song, but essentially it's the story of some high school weirdo called brad or chad or greg or brett or something who is giving some poor girl a hard time. He's broken into her apartment building and is keeping an eye on when her mother leaves. Ultimately this is an old story, which in this case sounds like it could easily resolved by sending out your little sister to kick the shit out of him.

the Blondie version on the other hand is framed considerably differently. By changing the singer from what seems like some high school soft shite freak man child, to an impossibly cool and attractive woman, suddenly the obvious question becomes "What the fuck is wrong with Debbie Harry if some guy is piling the Fridge against the Door to stop her from breaking in?" It's like a two minute version of Fatal Attraction without the Squash, Terrible Hair, and appalling misogyny.

That said my favourite blondie song at the moment is X-offender

Comment

Yeah, she does seem like one of the most take no shit people ever. Imagine a scenario in your head where you were somehow talking to her, even in fantasy land she’d probably tell you to sling your hook in some amazingly cutting way. Was far too young to “fancy” her back in the day outside of staring fixated at the screen when she was on, but she seems so beautiful and distant and intimidating I can get where Taylor is coming from.
                    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 20-11-2017, 20:04.

Comment

The best Blondie song is Dreaming. Official.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                        While waiting for the new episode to be put up, I was just thinking about what Taylor was saying about Blondie, and his abasing apology to Aphrodite for not fancying Debbie Harry. But I completely get what he was saying. Debbie Harry is Awesome. Not in an inarticulate way of saying very good. I mean like the old testament god. but a key part of how Blondie presented themselves was to choose songs that kind of made Debbie Harry seem like a really dangerous maniac. Consider the song Hanging on the telephone.

The orginal song by The Nerves is a good song, but essentially it's the story of some high school weirdo called brad or chad or greg or brett or something who is giving some poor girl a hard time. He's broken into her apartment building and is keeping an eye on when her mother leaves. Ultimately this is an old story, which in this case sounds like it could easily resolved by sending out your little sister to kick the shit out of him.

the Blondie version on the other hand is framed considerably differently. By changing the singer from what seems like some high school soft shite freak man child, to an impossibly cool and attractive woman, suddenly the obvious question becomes "What the fuck is wrong with Debbie Harry if some guy is piling the Fridge against the Door to stop her from breaking in?" It's like a two minute version of Fatal Attraction without the Squash, Terrible Hair, and appalling misogyny.

That said my favourite blondie song at the moment is X-offender
                        I'd never listened to it that carefully. You're right though. It does frame it differently.

The original is a big part of this film, which is good, though not at all as much about semi-obscure New Wave bands as I'd hoped.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2139843/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Comment

The best Blondie song is Dreaming. Official.
                          Dreaming was released well after their main hey-day, correct? Like in the 90s?

Comment

Hells no, none of that reform Maria style mince.

‘79, Peak (or just past) Blondie. Best drumbeat intro, best lyrics, evah. It’s just the bomb.

And it’s not on YouTube (at least in Ireland). Dang.
                            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 20-11-2017, 20:24.

Comment

Agree completely on Dreaming and I'd describe it as Peak with the peak lasting the three albums from Plastic Letters to Eat To The Beat.

It's on You Tube here, I've just watched it for you. Twice.

Comment

Ach I’m jonesing for some Debbie and that mad beat now.

Comment

Please tell me jonesing isn't a euphemism..

Comment

Haha, meaning “really want to hear” in this context, junkie slang I believe. Nothing dirty whatsoever.
                                    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 20-11-2017, 22:29.

Comment

Comment

Hells no, none of that reform Maria style mince.

‘79, Peak (or just past) Blondie. Best drumbeat intro, best lyrics, evah. It’s just the bomb.

And it’s not on YouTube (at least in Ireland). Dang.
                                        My bad. I mixed up Maria with Dreaming. I like both of them, though.

Comment

There's a new one up.

Comment

THERE'S A NEW ONE UP.

Comment

Listening to it now.

I'm very worried about Taylor's health.

"History is littered with ... just blokes." - Sarah Bee. So true.

This compelled me to look up the complete list of albums released in 87 and the college charts from that year.

There was some good stuff around that year, but almost none of it was on the main charts. Most of the stuff I was listening to then was stuff that had come out the few years previous that I was just getting around to hearing or buying. And stuff from the 60s.

Comment

You should be able to See this

Nice to hear Sarah Bee on again. Not sure about the love for the Bad video. It's really really lame. That Mick Jagger song sounded like a very very bad idea indeed.

Comment

Sarah Bee doesn't like me because I wrote some really dumb things - including some I totally don't believe - on a Facebook thread started by Wyatt Earp (formerly of this town).

In my defense, I was feeling extremely anxious and hadn't slept much in days and wasn't thinking straight. I definitely look upon it as a terrifying moment of real mental illness on my part. It was just a few weeks ago, but I'm doing better and have new meds.

But I feel bad. And that's no excuse.

Comment

Thank you Johnny Hates Jazz. And Bungle. (HP: that's a relic from a childhood TV show, which you might have missed, but was reasonably hilarious.)

Half-time pause for oranges.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X