No announcement yet.

Chart Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

73 for me as well. Mainly cos I can’t remember them doing an Everett episode yet.

Comment

It seems you can vote twice but. I gave a vote to fuckin Mayo before I knew what I was doing. Can’t vote twice for the same year but.

Comment

Did Lamacq and Whiley ever present the 90s shite? Wouldn’t mind hearing Taylor let rip on that pair of bozos.

Comment

It will be Everett. He has 42 votes out of 73 cast so far

Comment

Smokie were the headliners at a huge (it seemed huge at the time) British Forces Germany youth clubs get together, at RAF Brűggen (my Dad's camp) in 78.

It was reet posh, with chicken and chips in a basket. Didn't stop the traditional army v RAF/our-camp-better-than-your-camp fights breaking out. I can't remember if that was the one where a fight broke out and I was knocked out of an open window (that may have been a similar "let's get them all together" 'do' near Dűsseldorf airport).

I wasn't involved in the fight, I hasten to add, and my memory of the fall from the (ground floor) window was that I was really pissed and it just made me laugh hysterically.

I have no memory of Smokie from that night, sorry.
            Last edited by Felicity, I guess so; 17-04-2018, 11:53.

Comment

The segment on Danny Mirror is great. So much to talk about that Neil and Taylor didn't even get into the arrangement of the song. Danny Mirror could not impersonate Elvis any more if he finished of with a "thangyooverymuch" before leaving the building. The arrangement steals more than a bar or two from that of "The Wonder Of You", and the backing singers are doing their best impression of those Elvis had in his live shows (particularly the ones in the laughing version of "Are You Lonesome Tonight"). It's all quite magnificent, and magnificently bad.

Incidentally, Neil's laughing at Taylor's bon mots is endearingly infectious, isn't it?

Comment

Incidentally, the discussion of Soul Train was timely since I reposted this reflection on the show and its impact just last week.

A good time to also share this gallery of stills from Soul Train again.

Comment

I remember John Peel's segment on TV Hell, where he listed his ten least-favourite TOTP moments. Mr Mirror was present and correct.

Comment

Think I still have that on VHS...

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                      Think I still have that on VHS...
                      It's here on YouTube.

There is some overlap with the podcast—Little Jimmy Osmond, Danny Mirror, Laurie Lingo and some of Pan's People's and Legs & Co's less-illustrious efforts.

Comment

Wot, no Joy Sarney? Bad job.

Comment

I needed a trigger warning for that clip of Sav*l* introducing Jonathan King's 'Una Paloma Blanca'.

Which makes me think: what is the most 'Yewtree'-heavy clip ever? Is there a Sav+King*+DLT combo?

*Strictly King is not Operation Yewtree but he is part of the butchering of the episodes that we shorten to 'Yewtree' on these TOTP-repeats threads.
                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 19-04-2018, 12:59.

Comment

Is Yewtree one better than U2?

Comment

Celebrity death match would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                I needed a trigger warning for that clip of Sav*l* introducing Jonathan King's 'Una Paloma Blanca'.

Which makes me think: what is the most 'Yewtree'-heavy clip ever? Is there a Sav+King*+DLT combo?

*Strictly King is not Operation Yewtree but he is part of the butchering of the episodes that we shorten to 'Yewtree' on these TOTP-repeats threads.
                                If one were to scour the TOTP thread over on TV, somewhere therein is reference to a particular edition that featured the whole kit and kaboodle, shebang, nine yards and motherlode.

But admittedly that would take some scouring.

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                Is Yewtree one better than U2?
                                Very good, sir.

Comment

We are definitely going to get Kenny Everett 1973 the episode after next because he leads Simon Mayo 1989 by 51 votes to 20.

Comment

Bob Woffinden, the miscarriages of justice guy, has a chapter on Jonathan King in his new book.

Comment

I remember him as a writer either for Sounds or the NME back in the seventies.

Comment

It's Chart Music Day!!!

(If only Nish could sort out the link on the website...)

*Link fine, it's me that's fucked up.
                                        Last edited by Gerontophile; 03-05-2018, 12:06.

Comment

Already landed in my podcast app. 1986 today, pop-crazed youngsters!

Comment

Taylor's looking well

Comment

Haven't got to the end of the podcast, but it seems that Samantha Fox did appear at half-time at the Hamburger SV vs Liverpool friendly. Followed by Alphaville.

Comment

Mint! Nottingham elocution lessons and Sarah Bee. Fucking hilarious so far. Up to the Mary Chain so far. Can’t remember fuck all of my Roy Race obviously.

Comment

Blimey. I thought The Arsehole Morrissey got a kicking until I got to the No 1.

Camouflage is one of the first records that I ever bought.

Comment

The blurb on the website promises: "Chris de Burgh shits out what could be the worst No.1 of the decade." It's not even the worst #1 of 1986, or did Wicksy die for nothing?. And less than a year before, Jennifer Rush's "The Power Of Love" was at #1.

For all my hatred of "Lady In Red", which was intense the first time I heard it and has not diminished a bit in the intervening three decades, I cannot consent to honouring it with placing it at the top of anything. Let every loser indeed win this one.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X