Chart Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
    Is there a copyright on this? I really want to put it on a T-shirt.

Comment

It looks like a Dotmund masterpiece.

Comment

I think this episode nailed why Live Aid was so toxic, not just for music but for dragging the UK back to a Victorian concept of charity rather than pressuring the government to take responsibility (to be fair, Geldof himself did attack governments but he had already given them an excuse to offload the responsibility on to the record-buying punters).

Then of course Tears For Fears getting a boost from the sporting version, the rather nauseous kiddie charity cover of 'Ben', etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
          Is there a copyright on this? I really want to put it on a T-shirt.
          Gero, he doesn't seem to do t-shirts...

Comment

I'm glad Tears for Fears got both barrels. They (and Ultravox) have always been my most hated 80s chart band.*
            However I won't have a thing said against Suddenly by Billy Ocean and Cherish by Kool and the Gang. (I even quite like Frankie by Sister Sledge).

*They are the reason why I stay away from 80s nights, for fear of having to listen to that shit. If they guaranteed wall to wall Wham, Debarge, Alexander O'Neal and Kid Creole then I'd be first in line.

Comment

Frankie is indefensible.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                I'm glad Tears for Fears got both barrels. They (and Ultravox) have always been my most hated 80s chart band.*
                However I won't have a thing said against Suddenly by Billy Ocean and Cherish by Kool and the Gang. (I even quite like Frankie by Sister Sledge).

*They are the reason why I stay away from 80s nights, for fear of having to listen to that shit. If they guaranteed wall to wall Wham, Debarge, Alexander O'Neal and Kid Creole then I'd be first in line.
                Let out all out. Tears For Fears and Ultravox are the things you can do without. Come on...

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                  Frankie is indefensible.
                  No, I disagree. It's OK. Insanely catchy bubble gum pop and nothing like their previous singles but not too bad at all. I was pleased to find out through the podcast that Nile Rogers produced it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                    No, I disagree. It's OK. Insanely catchy bubble gum pop and nothing like their previous singles but not too bad at all. I was pleased to find out through the podcast that Nile Rogers produced it.
                    Musical merit aside, you'd struggle to fashion a hit single* these days out of the premise "you were 15, I was 12".

*if such things still exist.

Comment

Nice to hear Fine Young Cannibals' "Blue" getting some recognition. I've always liked that better than "Johnny Come Home". Like Simon, I used to see Roland Gift around, though not in the off-licence.

Comment

Blue is a brilliant song, and yes, far better than Johnny. Such an odd band. Worldwide smash album that minted them and then...so long, suckers.

Cox and Steele are apparently a bit nuts/difficult, so maybe that's it.

Tear for Fears are excellent, so I've no idea what's going on with Jon up there. DeBarge? Really?

Comment

Tears For Fears' songs are good, but they are a pair of twats.

Comment

Yeah, the songs are good. But they are utterly lacking in soul. I think Neil Kulkarni makes the point on Chart Music that a song like "Head Over Heels" should have some sign of giddiness. TFF songs are free of emotion. I might take a song at a time, but listening to a whole album of theirs would numb me.

Talking of Fine Young Cannibals, I have a signed copy of their debut album. I wonder if that is worth anything.

Comment

"Tear for Fears are excellent, so I've no idea what's going on with Jon up there. DeBarge? Really?"

I was trying, albeit clumsily, to express the fact that the likes of Luther Vandross, rather than Tears for Fears, represent my 80s. And yes - surely the critical reassessment of Debarge is only around the corner. (I am speaking with my tongue in my cheek here but I really do like their early stuff and they have been an influence on rap and r and b acts from the 90s onwards).

Comment

There is nothing much wrong with DeBarge at all -- except their big hits.

Comment

Songs From the Big Chair is one of my favourite albums from the time.
                                  Head over Heels, Mother's Talk and Broken are wonderful songs.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                    Blue is a brilliant song, and yes, far better than Johnny. Such an odd band. Worldwide smash album that minted them and then...so long, suckers.

Cox and Steele are apparently a bit nuts/difficult, so maybe that's it.

Tear for Fears are excellent, so I've no idea what's going on with Jon up there. DeBarge? Really?
                                    The 1980s was definitely the era for 'difficult' musicians and stupid, protracted disputes between band mates.

I didn't mind TFF when they were a bit darker: Mad World and Change remain good tunes. Since Donnie Darko, however, the former has been painfully over-exposed. (As for Everybody Wants to Rule the World, that was over-exposed before it went massive.)

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                    Talking of Fine Young Cannibals, I have a signed copy of their debut album. I wonder if that is worth anything.
                                    Somebody in the US will likely pay you good wedge for that. FYC were inexplicably huge there in the late eighties.
                                    Last edited by Jah Womble; 05-04-2018, 09:01.

Comment

I didn't get the Tears for Fears hate either, but that doesn't detract from what was an excellent episode.

Comment

The TOTP featured in the latest episode (4.7.85) is only 7 weeks before the one covered in CM #7 so it's worth going back to that one and making a comparison.

Comment

Tears for Fears used to make me feel physically sick. Some music seemed to torment me as a nipper. Olazabal has an inherently punchable face as well.

Comment

Fuck me, if they're going to criticise Head Over Heals for being ''anthemic'' you might as well stuff a good chunk of the best pop made over the last 60 years into a heavy duty rubble bag and lob it into a river.

Comment

There’s a certain kind of dull as fuck anthemic but, especially by folk who think they are above it. Sneery “intellectual” singers that come across like fucking Partridge. Also OMD, allergic to those cunts. And with shit 80s production things get silly bombastic. Like Roland or Jim Fucking Kerr. I hate to say it, but Bongo and the Boys pulled off the trick better, maybes cos they were careful never to seem above their fans.
                                              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 05-04-2018, 19:18.

Comment

Rise is a good piece of 80s anthemic bombast though, and maybe Lydon’s last moment of being not shit. (I don’t like the Leftfield track). Production is tons better than shit like Tears For Fears as well. The drums aren’t quite as wrong.

Comment

Owt Jim Kerr was dishing out at the time was infinitely worse - and you know who's to blame for that don't you? Bono! and his walk on the beach extolling 'The Big Music'.

Comment

I don’t mind early Simple Minds, he said like a wanker. Fucking Bongo.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X