Chart Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed.

I'm absurdly happy that both Taylor and David chose the correct side in the Steely Dan vs 10cc debate that we've had on here more than once. I'd expected Taylor to be more inclined to 10cc and I think I actually cheered when he said he'd been getting into Steely Dan in the last few years.

Comment

I recall a few discussions on here in which Taylor was still anti-Steely Dan. He rather liked the idea of "Barrytown" in relation to Simon Price, who hails from Barry.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_IkJnTus6Q

Here is the extended Don 'No Soul' Simmons sketch, from the end of Amazon Women on the Moon.

Comment

I am finding it very rewarding to go back and listen to these in depth. Kulkarni and Price is my favourite combo (wit and passion) but they are all great. Best episodes are on 1978-82 simply because they are the peak years in chart history during the era when TOTP episodes are available on tape. Other years are inevitably going to be slagging how shit most of the songs are barring the few soul/reggae/glam gems.

Comment

They certainly do bear repeat listening. Chart Music is just fantastic.

Comment

Yeah, I like them all in any combination. Kulkarni and Price go well together. Taylor has all those fantastic one-liners, but sometimes it feels a bit relentlessly snarky. I'd rather have that than none of the one-liners though. And Taylor getting worked up about something is always worth waiting for.

But also a shout-out to Al, who is running the show brilliantly.

Comment

Taylor has some positive feelings about, say, glam, but he is also understandably angry about how things are going personally and culturally.

I think overall you get a great combination of dry (Stubbs, Sarah to some degree), angry and bitter (Taylor), passionate and idealistic (Price and Kulkarni) and Al steering a path between those moods. Note also the age range, from Stubbs born in 1962 to Sarah born nearly 20 years later. Simon was born in the same month as my sister, and the median birth date seems to be around 1967-72, which is about right (slightly younger than the OTF median, I suspect, but old enough to just have caught the beginning of the TOTP colour era from T Rex & 'Starman' onwards).
                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 15-01-2018, 13:36.

Comment

Awesome Twitter feed https://twitter.com/ChartMusicTOTP?lang=en

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                    I think overall you get a great combination of dry (Stubbs, Sarah to some degree), angry and bitter (Taylor), passionate and idealistic (Price and Kulkarni) and Al steering a path between those moods.
                    Yeah, that is spot-on.

Comment

Yes, they're all great. There's a good Chart Music thread over at Cookd and Bombd. As someone said over there, they speak how I feel about many artists - Elvis Costello, Elton John and Bruce Springsteen, for example - but far more eloquently than I could ever do so. (Although I have to say I'm quite surprised that early Madonna gets such short shrift. I would definitely have put down Simon Price as a fan). It's also a good opportunity to revisit bands that I had previously looked over somewhat. I am re-listening to the Christmas 1973 one at the moment. The episode itself was on BBC4 over Christmas so I am watching and listening in stages. Loved hearing Taylor's Wolverhampton diatribe again.

Comment

Thanks for that - great thread.

I think Parkes and Kulkarni were born in the same year (1972) so that's another reason that combo works really well (on #13, 16/11/78, the best episode so far?). Stubbs is the eldest (1962), Sarah the youngest. I think Al is 1968, Price 1967.

Comment

Isn't it amazing how much of a difference five years make when you talk about stuff that happened before you turned 25? After that, five years is a blink of the eye and the age difference meaningless.

Comment

After 3 eps last month looks like it’ll be a quiet January. Jonesing here.

Comment

Nish says on FB that it'll be early next week because of work pressures.

Comment

Their Twatter feed mentioned something about that, too.

Comment

Two episodes promised:

However, we'll be pulling a double shit at the end of the week and will attempt to get two new episodes in your ears before the month is out.

Comment

Jesus, I really hope that was meant to say "double shift". It's a pretty grotesque mental image otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                      Jesus, I really hope that was meant to say "double shift". It's a pretty grotesque mental image otherwise.
                                      Don't criticize his process.

Comment

He corrected it later to double shift, but it seems a fairly obvious Freudian slip.

Comment

Will the 1970 installment be a one-off? Only three episodes of TOTP from the Sixties have survived the tape wipes (plus two with no presenter audio)

Will they do any Savile episodes? I think it would just be too awkward. As someone posted on another forum, each Savile episode was a crime scene.

Comment

New one (#18) tomorrow (Tuesday)

Comment

It's there.

Comment

Fucking hell, Hughie Green blacking up in 1976: https://twitter.com/ChartMusicTOTP?lang=en

Comment

"breaking off to discuss if you can actually enjoy wring any kind of enjoyment out of 70s grot films"

Comment

Very good as always.

The DLT clip at the end of the podcast is horrible.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X