No announcement yet.

Chart Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being a contrary fuck by nature, I’d agree with that. I had a much better impression of Peel till I read his (mostly) autobiography. Let alone the problematic 1st marriage and dodgy 70s imagery etc, I’m just not all that taken with him. He seems to have disliked the Stooges ffs. And by the early nineties I don’t know if his show was what it once was: lots of Gabba sounding techno, Truman’s Water shite around 93 if I remember right.
    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 16-12-2017, 02:50.

Comment

It’s a cracker.

Comment

Annie Nightingale was tonnes better than Peel mid nineties, she hadn’t lost her edge at all since the eighties they are talking about it seems. so much good stuff from her show. Even if a bit disconcertingly like yer ma on pills keeping it steady, laying on the Gil Scott Heron along with the Weatherall, better than Peel when it came to coming down/getting ready to move.

Comment

That was really good. I am kinda annoyed that I listened to it, and now am bereft before Christmas, but fuck it. Like an addict, I take it all instantly.

We had a 'routine' when I was younger. 4 of us would listen to Kid Jensen every (weekday) night, whilst getting ripped, and we would then go our separate ways to listen to John Peel. I was usually asleep by 11 (for school, college or work), and can't really say I got turned on to anything in particular by him. Just the whole 'essence' of the show was enough.

And yes, I taped* the shit out of both shows (and then Janice Long, who had her moments, when she replaced .... Jensen, I think).

Anyone got a link to Chris Needham, and perhaps explain who the fuck he is?

*Remember kids: taping is illegal, and piracy is killing music.

Comment

He could be quite conservative; Peel's dig at Boy George might even be deemed transphobic by today's standards.

Harsh to judge a year by its Xmas chart, when good stuff gets pushed below the Top 40 by the crud, but the countdown did suggest a total absence of anything redeeming even when compared to other Xmas charts. When The Assembly's mawkish miserabilism seems to be the best track in the countdown, there's a problem.

Comment

Chris Needham : https://youtu.be/tsKjaEv1qaI

Comment

I think they've confused Ed Sullivan and Richard Nixon in the Billy Joel segment, and the accusation of racism is a bit harsh (all the characters are doing the swaying thing).

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                  Well. I completely missed that. Although I was 26 then, and not interested in 'spotty' teenagers.

Comment

They really are spoiling us - another new episode, this time covering TOTP from Christmas Day 1973, here.

Comment

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAA

3 hrs 11 minutes will certainly fill the 'shit TV' gap this evening.

Comment

Nishlord you beautiful bastard! Fan fucking tastic.

Comment

This actual episode is on tV this evening. I have no interest in watching it, because I feel it would merely detract from the podcast.

Comment

One of the best yet. Led me to crank up C’mon Feel the Noize this evening. Good time had by all, except for proggy auld Da. Fucking Alan Parsons fans.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                              This actual episode is on tV this evening. I have no interest in watching it, because I feel it would merely detract from the podcast.
                              Im taking the opposite approach and watching it first. I've never watched any of the episodes covered so far, so thought I'd try the different tack. Worth it for Wizzard alone.

Comment

Yes, a very good episode.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who pondered over the implications of Tie a Yellow Ribbon.

Comment

It also reminds me of this skit: Blacks Without Soul

Comment

I'm not sure that 1970's uk was ready for steve priest, swastika or not.

I know I wasn't, in 2017.
                                    Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 28-12-2017, 01:13.

Comment

Steve Priest is all kinds of awesome. And gives the lie to the derogatory description of Sweet as brickies in make up. For sure I’m not the straightest straight guy in the world, but he looks damn fine for a 70s hetero. Dare I say it, better than Bowie in the Starman clip. Better hair anyways. Wouldn’t say no, is what I’m saying.

Comment

so you're basically saying that while you may not be the world's most masculine man, you know what you are, and you're glad that you're a man and so is Steve?

It's not so much that he looks good, it's that he looks so fucking natural at it. He just looks so plausible and comfortable. The Video for ballroom blitz is pretty eye opening as well. frankie goes to Hollywood and culture club are tame as all hell compared to this, this is nineteen fucking seventy three. the Rocky Horror Picture show, and bloody Mika owe a lot to the Sweet.
                                        Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 28-12-2017, 02:59.

Comment

The Rocky Horror Show theatrical production came out in June 1973, so was running along the same timeline as Sweet. Although Sweet hit number 1 in January 1973 with "Blockbuster", I imagine it took more than 6 months for Richard O'Brien to write the thing.

*Sweet had released records before this, but I can't remember what they looked like. And I know they changed their look (and sound, according to Nish et al), so they may have been first, but 'Starman' was before even this, so...

**And I still refuse to call them "The Sweet".
                                          Last edited by Gerontophile; 28-12-2017, 09:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post

**And I still refuse to call them "The Sweet".
                                            It depends on the time era. Until 1974's "The Six Teens" and the flop "Turn It Down" they were The Sweet. As of 1975's "Fox On The Run" they were just Sweet. As The Sweet, they had eight UK Top 10 hits; as Sweet they had two.

Comment

There's an awesome discussion at the very end about how the music of 1973 was like the 60s cultural revolution for the working-classes, despite the fact that much TV was still very regressive (Black and White Minstrels on Xmas Day telly, ffs).

Meanwhile, Lennie Peters - tragic life but if that taxi story is true, what an utter cunt.

Comment

I love the bit in the wikipedia entry about Slade, and how they eventually wound up dressing like chicken angels, largely because they were too terrifyingly hard to be skinheads. .

Chandler was not pleased with the debut album and thought the band would benefit from writing their own material and a change of image. The band adopted a skinhead look as an attempt to gain publicity from what was a newsworthy youth fashion trend but this also added an unwelcome association with football hooliganism.[11] Noddy Holder and Don Powell were particularly tough individuals already, and the skinhead look exacerbated the disturbing effect of having "toughs" in the band.

I loved the chat about slade. Cum on feel the Noize is just extraordinary. I have no idea how Noddy Holder was able to sing for a week after singing it once. Taylor's chat about it being part of the essence of englishness was brilliant. As was Stubbsy's bit about elgar. That was so gloriously understated.
                                                Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 30-12-2017, 18:37.

Comment

Before Taylor mentioned it I had never heard of Gilbert O'Sullivan's 1974 single A Woman's Place. Crikey.

Comment

Just getting around to listening to this.
                                                    Outstanding. Taylor should have his own show. He's a great writer and has a perfect voice for this sort of thing.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X