No announcement yet.

Chart Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really like Neds Atomic Dustbin. Or I did at the time. Now I'm a bit cooled. But I don't understand the hate. Perhaps its a contextual thing.* I just liked them because the guy who lived next to me Sophomore year had their two albums and recorded them for me on a cassette. Two basses!!

But I completely agree with them on Tori Amos. She was popular among a certain kind of person I knew in college, but Cornflake Girl is the only song of hers I've ever liked at all. It's the only one that sounds like a song to me. The rest is just kind of tuneless nonsense. And it was the start of that Lilith Faire thing that did give some opportunities for female artists, but it also generated a lot of crap, the nadir of which was, indeed, Alanis Morrisette. I still hear people talk about her fondly and I once saw her listed as having made the best album of the 90s, but at the time (when I was in college and grad school), nobody I knew liked her stuff. Maybe she was big among girls 10-15? She seems like a nice enough person, though.

And it's nice to hear the Madonna take-down. Not only is she and odious person, but she is politically dicey, isn't she? We're supposed to just admire the "ambition." Fuck ambition. In the words of the great man "Success is for creeps."

* I should start a thread on that.

Comment

Alanis Morrissette was crap for all kind of reasons, but she gave a more assertive voice to women who, at that time, did not feel that their experiences were being articulated in pop music. She was #allmensuck and #metoo long before there were hashtags. And that took courage, regardless the quality of her music or the artfulness of her lyrics.

Comment

Yeah, that makes sense. That fits into my hypothesis that it was mostly younger women or girls who were really getting into her, whereas women I knew around that time were already familiar with some older artists who weren’t necessarily on the radio or MTV at the time, like Siouxie, Patti Smith, Debbie Harry, etc.

Comment

The idea of Alanis Morissette was good, even if the execution wasn't.

I liked Ned's Atomic Dustbin as a student; at least Kill Your Television. However I bought a compilation of theirs a few years ago for £1 and it was rotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
            I really like Neds Atomic Dustbin. Or I did at the time. Now I'm a bit cooled. But I don't understand the hate. Perhaps its a contextual thing.* I just liked them because the guy who lived next to me Sophomore year had their two albums and recorded them for me on a cassette. Two basses!!

But I completely agree with them on Tori Amos. She was popular among a certain kind of person I knew in college, but Cornflake Girl is the only song of hers I've ever liked at all. It's the only one that sounds like a song to me. The rest is just kind of tuneless nonsense. And it was the start of that Lilith Faire thing that did give some opportunities for female artists, but it also generated a lot of crap, the nadir of which was, indeed, Alanis Morrisette. I still hear people talk about her fondly and I once saw her listed as having made the best album of the 90s, but at the time (when I was in college and grad school), nobody I knew liked her stuff. Maybe she was big among girls 10-15? She seems like a nice enough person, though.

And it's nice to hear the Madonna take-down. Not only is she and odious person, but she is politically dicey, isn't she? We're supposed to just admire the "ambition." Fuck ambition. In the words of the great man "Success is for creeps."

* I should start a thread on that.
            Ned’s, PWEI, the whole Grebo/utter shit like the Wonder Stuff scene, seemed to involve dressing like shit in a middle class student/semi crusty kind of way and being insufferably dull, on vinyl or in the interview. That was the worst offense in Prime early 90s Melody Maker, bands who looked just like their fans, who said “it’s all about the music man” and “we like it and if anyone else does it’s a bonus”.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
              Ned’s, PWEI, the whole Grebo/utter shit like the Wonder Stuff scene, seemed to involve dressing like shit in a middle class student/semi crusty kind of way and being insufferably dull, on vinyl or in the interview. That was the worst offense in Prime early 90s Melody Maker, bands who looked just like their fans, who said “it’s all about the music man” and “we like it and if anyone else does it’s a bonus”.
              I think Ned's and PWEI probably made more money flogging t-shirts, as said garments were ubiquitious in the early nineties.

Comment

Oh yeah. Whenever I was in the Science Block for the Big first year English lectures, there’d be a gaggle of lads waiting for their physics lecture. Usually more black tight red dwarf t-shirts than anything, then the Grebo bands. And fucking Carter USM. Big floppy baggy shapeless t-shirts somehow just made for a slouching posture and lank longish hair.
                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 18-10-2017, 19:16. Reason: Never would guess I couldn’t do Honours English with my fat D in English Language and linguistics. Fuckin subordinate clauses

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                  Alanis Morrissette was crap for all kind of reasons, but she gave a more assertive voice to women who, at that time, did not feel that their experiences were being articulated in pop music. She was #allmensuck and #metoo long before there were hashtags. And that took courage, regardless the quality of her music or the artfulness of her lyrics.
                  It's probably worth remembering, by the way, Alanis was still only 21 when Jagged Little Pill took over the world. She'd only just taken a massive side-step from being a bland teen popstrel in Canada. It's not a colossal surprise if her breakout songs lacked a little artfulness.

Comment

What is "Grebo?"

I can't believe they didn't mention Beavis & Butthead in the episode. That was the most exciting thing happening in pop music in the mid 90s.

They do include this in the video list. I don't recall this one. It's pretty good.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubTP...kQyrbjiRniwacE
                    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 19-10-2017, 01:30.

Comment

Humour is subjective but Beavis & Butthead looked like one joke stretched very thin to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                        Humour is subjective but Beavis & Butthead looked like one joke stretched very thin to me.
                        Beavis & Butthead was brilliant, you fool!

Comment

Satchmo, WhatsApp me the coordinates for that trench your fighting the good fight in. I'll join you in taking up arms with you in the battle against Beavis and Butthead. You'll have to explain the one joke to me first, but otherwise I'm with you.

Comment

Beavis & Butthead completely passed me by. But it was the 90's? I missed a lot of that.

Comment

Very long, but pretty damn good.

I do like Nish's rants about Morrissey.

Comment

I do believe that I was such a sad fuck my teenage dreams were of writing for MM, rather than actually being in a band. Was so crap watching it turn to shite for the last two years or so, the slaggings of yer Oasis types obviously embargoed, the horrible relaunch, which might even have been on shiny paper. Didn’t they even fold it into NME as a pullout for a while like Whizzer and Chips or Beezer and Dandy?
                                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 19-10-2017, 19:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                                  Beavis & Butthead completely passed me by. But it was the 90's? I missed a lot of that.
                                  Beavis & butthead went completely over my head, and I was their exact target demographic. Honestly, It was just two cunts being cunts with a level of toilet humour so poorly executed that it wouldn't have been acceptable even 100 years ago, when people seemingly had the level of humorous sophistication of a four year old, probably as a defence against the horrendous brutality of their everyday existence. But there was an awful lot of stuff coming out of the US at the time that I simply couldn't grasp. Replace the word Cunt with Gobshite and you have wayne's world. I've seen it since, and if anything it's just worse with the benefit of hindsight. But an awful lot of what was appearing on our screens from America in the 90's just completely baffled me. Apparently Roseanne, married with children, fresh prince of bel air, Seinfeld, the fucking Nanny, and will and grace were comedies. I had to be told that some of these were comedies. And then Friends came along so soon after My cousin vinny that I basically gave up on America until I saw the South park movie.

I'm sure that there was some interesting stuff on american tv in the 90's. Unfortunately it didn't make it onto the channels that I had access to.
                                  Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 19-10-2017, 20:17.

Comment

Oh Berba. Roseanne before it went to shit was good, maybe even Important. A working class sitcom dealing with the plebs as serious characters wouldn’t get green lit in the States (or Britain- unless its fucking Mrs Brown’s Boys) not unless it patronized or sneered at its protagonists, like both versions of Shameless.

Seinfeld man, there’s no reason to your madness. With you on Wayne’s World and the rest though. Bowfin shite.

Comment

What is "Grebo?"
                                      Sometimes used as a genre name covering bands like Ned’s, Pop Will Eat Itself, Crazyhead, Gaye Bikers On Acid, etc.

Comment

Oh Berba. Roseanne before it went to shit was good, maybe even Important. A working class sitcom dealing with the plebs as serious characters wouldn’t get green lit in the States (or Britain- unless its fucking Mrs Brown’s Boys) not unless it patronized or sneered at its protagonists, like both versions of Shameless.

Seinfeld man, there’s no reason to your madness. With you on Wayne’s World and the rest though. Bowfin shite.
                                        roseanne may have been important, and it may have been funny, but when I saw it, I just couldn't see past how horrible she was. It occurs to me that I simply wasn't very used to the American model of Comedy, where if someone comes up with a good idea for a comedy, they have to churn out 26 episodes a year, meaning that they have probably mined most of the comic possibilities within the first season. You quickly wind up in the sort of situation where people in the studio audience cheer when a character appears. Cartoons can pull it off for longer, quite literally by sending Homer into space. Whereas family type sitcoms wind up being about smaller and smaller things, and if you simply can't bring yourself to care about the characters, then there's no point.

The four characters in Seinfeld are fucking awful. Jerry seinfeld is not a plausible professional comedian. he's just a cunt with a mullet and white socks. There's obviously clever things going on in the background and it's been very important to comedy writers who came afterwards but seinfeld looks like pong, beside curb your enthusiasm's GTA V

Comment

Ok you might have been too young for peak Cheers. But please say you liked Frasier.

Comment

I liked cheers when I was a kid, but I was 10, and that's the level cheers is pitched at. I liked frasier when I was 14, and that's the level of Frasier, and I still enjoy the odd episode, when I catch it, but there are nearly exactly as many episodes of frasier as there are of cheers, and that's too many. I suppose it's what you are used to really. I think I was heavily influenced by my dad, who watching a later episode of cheers pointed out that there were only 12 episodes of Fawlty towers, and they nearly drove John Cleese mad writing them. I suppose then that it makes sense that my favourite comedies are Father Ted, which has 24 episodes spread over three series, black books, which has three series of 6 episodes. outnumbered which has five seasons of six episodes. One foot in the grave has six episode series. (All of these are hat trick productions I notice) and only one of these series has more episodes than a series of frasier. (I quite like Friday night dinner, but I've only seen two episodes, and that also only has six episode series.)

Comment

I do believe that I was such a sad fuck my teenage dreams were of writing for MM, rather than actually being in a band. Was so crap watching it turn to shite for the last two years or so, the slaggings of yer Oasis types obviously embargoed, the horrible relaunch, which might even have been on shiny paper. Didn’t they even fold it into NME as a pullout for a while like Whizzer and Chips or Beezer and Dandy?
                                              I tried to learn guitar, and can do it a bit, but I still can't master the thing where you put your whole finger across all the strings. And I have whatever the opposite of "perfect pitch" is. And my friends weren't into what I was into. But I didn't really get into hardcore punk until like late 20s. Had I liked that in high school, maybe we could have started a simple punk band and then, like Minor Threat leading to Fugazi, would have got better by playing more. Alas.

Music press was never a big thing here, as far as I know. Rolling Stone. Spin. That was pretty much it. It just wasn't a factor. College radio and a few other important stations were the key, as well as record stores themselves. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
                                                Sometimes used as a genre name covering bands like Ned’s, Pop Will Eat Itself, Crazyhead, Gaye Bikers On Acid, etc.
                                                Ned's is the only one of those I've heard of. There was no sense of a "genre" or any cultural connection. We just liked the sound.
                                                If anything, we thought Ned's were more like Stone Roses. Only the sort of people who worked at the college radio station or were exceptionally "cool" listened to either of those. The big thing in my college at that time were U2, grunge, jam bands, stuff like The Connells, and, for some reason, Rush. Also, Led Zeppelin and Bob Marley.

Comment

I tried to learn guitar, and can do it a bit, but I still can't master the thing where you put your whole finger across all the strings.
                                                  Barre chords. It's just a matter of practice, really, but if it helps try rolling your finger outwards so it makes a shallow C shape across the fingerboard. This should give you enough pressure to fret the notes but leave your other digits free for fingering (oo-er).

Either that, or fuck it off and just use power chords. ROCK!

Comment

... and, for some reason, Rush.
                                                    That reason being, of course, that they're fucking brilliant.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X