No announcement yet.

Chart Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fucking hell, Al reading out the TV schedules really shits on the idea that tv in the past was anything other than mostly terrible.

Comment

But you didn’t have fucking Dan Fucking Snow or Neil Oliver do the shit pseudo history that neither challenged the casual viewer or satisfies their despised core audience. You had the Ascent of Man or Civilization in between the boring biege shite. Taylor had a very good article on the Queitus on What Was Lost telly wise.

Comment

http://thequietus.com/articles/03440...ilation-review

Comment

Taylor really needs a 5 minute slot on TV/radio somewhere, doing a daily "Howard Beale" about a subject of his choosing.

I absolutely loved this one. Al, Simon and Taylor were all great.

Comment

Alas, Taylor's story about Michael from Durban didn't culminate in that racist fuck* having his head kicked in.

* Michael from Durban, not Taylor of the Midlands.

Comment

I've been so pressed for time recently that I've had to give up writing of late, but hell, Taylor makes me want to find the time from somewhere. Absolutely sparkling.

Meanwhile, interesting stuff about the drum loop on Heart of Glass. I'd never assumed that it was anything but either a live drum track or a cut up live drum track. I'm pretty certain that you couldn't get a drum machine that made a sound so similar to a live drum kit in 1978, or whenever it was first recorded.

Comment

I'm not sure what Simon was talking about though, there is a drum machine, and burke had to spend hours recording each part of the drum track separately, until it lined up with the drum machine. A big part of the reason that Burke doesn't like that song is that recording his parts took fucking forever, and was about as far removed from rock and roll as it is possible to get. here's a bit of a radio doc about the drum machine aspect

Comment

I presume - and I'm reading between the (parallel?) lines here - that there was an element of resistance to the "new technology" aspect of it all. I started playing in bands in about 1987 and there seemed to be some sort of existential crisis going on within percussion at the time that drummers would be redundant in a few years' time because of The Rise Of The Machines. That sort of thing would have been very uncommon at the time - 10cc had only just started manually cutting up tape loops to make I'm Not In Love four years earlier - so I can understand how he might have been well outside his comfort zone.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                      I presume - and I'm reading between the (parallel?) lines here - that there was an element of resistance to the "new technology" aspect of it all. I started playing in bands in about 1987 and there seemed to be some sort of existential crisis going on within percussion at the time that drummers would be redundant in a few years' time because of The Rise Of The Machines. That sort of thing would have been very uncommon at the time - 10cc had only just started manually cutting up tape loops to make I'm Not In Love four years earlier - so I can understand how he might have been well outside his comfort zone.
                      Apparently He had to largely invent the technique. It was apparently a massive pain in the hole, but it didn't stop them from doing similar type things.

Comment

Another great episode. Well done chaps.

I especially love it when Taylor gets to talk about the West Midlands, and he does so at length in this episode when they discuss Car 67. Taylor, I seriously reckon there's a book in your musings on the Midlands. The Stuart Maconie and Simon Armitage ones on the north haven't done so bad.

Comment

I have today become a patron. 59 of us so far.

Comment

Is it a monthly payment thing, or can do one offs? My bank account is not always liquid.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                              I have today become a patron. 59 of us so far.
                              I did yesterday as well, think I was 57!

Comment

I think we all get a Welcome Pop Crazed Youngster message from Al if we post on the patrons forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                  Is it a monthly payment thing, or can do one offs? My bank account is not always liquid.
                                  Monthly by credit card or PayPal. I am a little concerned about how I would cancel it if it goes tits up.

Comment

I’m number 63. Living PayPal dangerously.

Comment

Two episodes being recorded tomorrow.

Comment

Don't know my number, but I'm on there.

Comment

And it’s live! May 11 1995. Bang goes talking to people this evening.

Comment

Stubbs and Parkes

Comment

Start of the shout-outs as well. Lots of MM reminiscing so far. Mint and skill.
                                              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 20-03-2018, 20:20.

Comment

Are they a duo like Diamond and Silk or Mystique and Aura?

Comment

Satchmo Distel gets a shout-out (at 5.00), so I am now officially part of Chart Music history.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                    Are they a duo like Diamond and Silk or Mystique and Aura?
                                                    Get with Notts slang, grandad.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X