No announcement yet.

Chart Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And in any case, Leonard Nimoy made that song his own.

Comment

I missed the Dylan comment. Even if you're heartily sick of the Hendrix cover (along with bloody Hallelujah, it was just another way to make the Watchmen movie even more a ridiculous mess), it's still a damn good version. Can kind of see where they were coming from with the Temptations but maybe that just cos ive never heard that song before.

Comment

Indeed. Joni Mitchell wrote it, but didn't record it until two years after Judy Collins did. Challenges the definition of "cover." Still, I prefer Joni Mitchell's version.

I don't agree with Taylor about covers of Dylan either, but music is a personal experience so maybe he really doesn't like any of the covers as much as the original. That's his taste.

I do reject the idea that Hendrix et al don't "get" Dylan, because that assumes that there's some kind of core essence of Dylaness and I reject that on ontological grounds. Dylan's music is Dylan's music, every molecular vibration of it. A cover may "lose something" that was in his version, but only the listener can determine for themselves if what was lost in translation matters or not and if what's been added by the covering artist offsets that loss.

Comment

Well said.

As for "Both Sides Now", I love the song, but don't love Judy's nor Joni's voices very much (I can see why others do; I just don't). I'd rather have Nimoy's version.
          Last edited by G-Man; 11-09-2017, 21:15.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
            Well said.

As for "Both Sides Now", I love the song, but don't love Judy's nor Joni's voices very much (I can see why others do; I just don't). I'd rather have Nimoy's version.
            We used to sing it at Camp Krislund. That was my favorite version.

Comment

I'm getting withdrawal symptoms.

Comment

Oops! Posted on wrong thread!

Comment

There's a new one today. January 14, 1982

Comment

Yay!

Comment

It's been as much subutteo and World Cup 82 as music so far, no harm at all.

Comment

"Maconieville". Dying, as I believe is the new parlance for lol.

Comment

It's almost 3 hours! Which isn't a problem, but fucking hell, I hope they had some alcoholic coffee on the go.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                            "Maconieville". Dying, as I believe is the new parlance for lol.
                            Al was noticeably reluctant to go down that path. January is a curious choice of month because there's a post-Xmas lull and pop just goes through the motions for a few weeks, with singles hanging around from 1981 not doing much.

The mysterious next week falls reflect the incoherence of that time of year, people still working out what they want to listen to in the new year.

It was also incredibly bleak that winter culturally, pre-Channel 4, Smiths and Young Ones. I appreciate that Dare is a great album but it's also ice cold, minimalist, no frills. You can see why the turn to lighter fluff like Duran Duran and Culture Club would occur by early 1983.

Comment

Stuart Maconie probably has pull in t’media now. A frightening thought. He could write a half decent sentence though, and it’s not his fault he seems to have been born aged 35. It was his erstwhile best pal Andrew Collins that must have been the most talentless dairylea bland wet handshake of a music scribbler this side of Steve Sutherland or Ian Gittins. Taking the opposite view to that shower on everything without even hearing would normally see you right down the record shop.
                              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 21-09-2017, 19:28.

Comment

Where else could you get such exhaustive analysis of Brown Sauce?

The Bucks Fizz clip mentioned on episode #11 is properly WTF.

Comment

The audience has walked into an S&M club by mistake.

Comment

I don't buy Cheryl as a dominatrix. Jay maybe.

Bobby looks the most uncomfortable. As mentioned by the presenters, Mike looks much more at home.

Comment

Cheryl doing the pretend going down on the knees is very awkward and probably not allowed pre-Watershed back then (I would have expected some censorship if it was attempted on TOTP)

Cheryl ironically later did the same Saturday morning kids TV slot that Brown Sauce had earlier occupied.

A topical fact that the episode missed: Jan 82 was Tony Blackburn's last month doing the Radio 1 Top 40 show.

http://www.radiorewind.co.uk/radio1/...les_charts.htm

Comment

Ha ha, that Bucks Fizz clip is hilarious. Before seeing the Musikladen logo and realising it was a German telly thing, I'd already thought that the front row kid reminded me of my German school exchange partner from the late 1970s.

Comment

It's quite interesting that TOTP sometimes used Musikladen or Beat Club clips from West-German TV. I don't recall Musikladen, which was aimed at an adult audience, ever using TOTP clips. But Disco, which was much more geared towards Germany's youth, used TOTP clips every month, at least in its earlier years.

Comment

"Dickhead DLT takes the afternoon off molesting women to be a space invader!"

Comment

#12 is up: March 16th 1994

Comment

Hmm watching Liverpool stink out the Champions League or Chart Music ripping on the Britpop wanks? No contest.

Comment

Been like an hour on Melody Maker days from SR and Kulkarni, no tunes yet. All good. Probably should turn the football on soon, but it’ll only get shit then.

Comment

It was very good indeed but not enough Maconie bashing. Why did the NME turn to shit? Name the guilty men.

The tunes are a bit pointless for the reason the episode stated: they only stuck around for a week then started to fall down the chart. Not enough time to stick in the memory or produce any associations. Whereas albums did hang around and you could recognize a Blur song from the album being played regularly rather than the single.

The section on Alison Moyet is very good and brings forth real passionate anger.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X