Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    Shakespeare's Sister are another band named after a Smiths song
    For some reason the title omits the last letter from Shakespeare's name but the group name restores it.

Taylor also mentions this song as one of the reasons The Smiths did not get radio play or high chart placings, contrary to Morrissey's racist conspiracy theory.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 12-05-2018, 12:25.

Comment

Is it not nicked from Virginia Woolf anyways?

Comment

Yes. Morrissey nicked many of his early lyrics.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
          Bob Woffinden, the miscarriages of justice guy, has a chapter on Jonathan King in his new book.
          Sadly he's died.

Comment

New episode should land on Monday: I believe it's Kenny Everett 1973 based on the Patreon vote.

Comment

Grace Jones is 70.

Comment

Howard Jones is 63.

Comment

Has Howard Jones aged well?

*Actually not too badly.

Comment

#25 just landed. 22.6.73 Kenny Everett: Stubbs and Price.

Comment

I listened to the first 10 minutes of this, through headphones, on a bus. I think the other passengers thought I was going to have a seizure.

Comment

Was listening to That Bit while driving to the train station. Despite being parked up by the time it had finished, I had to stay in the car for a couple of minutes and compose myself.

Comment

That bummer dog letter is magnificent.

Comment

That 5 minutes on Bummer Dog alone should win awards. Wingco needs to cancel notifications on his pc/phone during the recording.
                            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 22-05-2018, 23:43.

Comment

The intro to 'Skweeze Me Pleeze Me' seems to have been copied on 'Silly Thing' by The Sex Pistols

Comment

I think that the intros to Skweeze Me Pleeze Me and Merry Xmas Everybody were simply modified versions of the intro to Cum On Feel the Noize in the first place.

Comment

Hey it worked for the Inkspots.

Comment

I was so distraught to find that these three top-class strikers didn't put the ball into the empty net at the end of Simon's Barry White story: "It's Ecstasy When You Lay Down Next to Me".

Comment

Good work lads. Couple of small points:

1 After Don Powell's car crash in summer 1973 Jim Lea's brother Frank stood in on drums. He may not have appeared in TotP though (source- Sir Nodwald's autobiog)

2 I always preferred Nazareth to AC/DC as despite being just as loud and hairy they were rather more melodic. Pricey and Wingco seemed to regard the Aussies as more efficient and slick, as if they were selling burgers or similar

Comment

Interview with Frank, the replacement drummer: http://frankleainterview.weebly.com/

Slade did two concerts using Frank on the Isle of Man (8th and 29th July) but the only TOTP he could have done was July 13 and it's wiped so we can't know unless someone remembers or a tape surfaces: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/pops...973-t8592.html

Comment

Regardless of wiped tapes, Skweeze Me Pleeze Me - which entered at #1 and stayed put for three weeks - was only ever played out in audio with the TOTP audience frugging away over (ie, there was no studio performance, owing to Powell's car crash).

Edit: I'm assuming he'd recovered by the time My Friend Stan hit the charts (October 1973).
                                          Last edited by Jah Womble; 24-05-2018, 11:38.

Comment

Next issue out by Thursday (before end of month)

Meanwhile this site by Stevie Binnie is very good:

https://soundofthecrowd.org.uk/1980/...s-29-may-1980/

Comment

That looks like fun. Thanks Satch.

Comment

New one is up. August 1984.

Comment

Hooray! Will listen at the weekend.

I was reading about Shackleton's Antarctic expedition the other day. One of the dogs they brought along was called Bummer.

Comment

I hope you have managed to get that on Twitter to Nish, cos a) he will probably appreciate it, and b) don't think he's been here since starting the podcast.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X