Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart Music

*plug alert*

So, er, I'm doing a podcast with Wingco, Taylor and Spearmint Rhino, formerly of this parish. The format is simple: we take a random episode of Top Of The Pops, and pull it to bits for a couple of hours. We've already done six episodes, and it's alright, y'know.

www.chart-music.co.uk

I can confirm having listened to 3 of these to date that they are excellent

Comment

The Chart Music podcast (as recommended recently by 200%) is my favourite thing of the moment. I've just finished the fourth, trying to pace myself not to rush through them. I look a loon laughing out loudly to it as I listen, headphones on, on my morning dog walk.

Love the format, particularly the style of described each artist's later career.

Which one are you, Nishlord? (Apols for not being ITK here) Also, which one is Spearmint Rhino? (God, I'm such a n00b)

Comment

Heh, nice one. I'm Al Needham, and SR is Simon Price.

Comment

Haha, I listened to the first half hour of the first episode last night (having come across this thread very late at night and getting through that much before realising the time), and being familiar with your real name via wingco's Facebook, my first thought was, 'Oh that's who Nishlord is!'

Comment

Those podcasts are really good. All contributors except for [edit] Sarah Bee (heard on only one episode so far, alas) are OTF alumni, so I get a sense that I "know" them -- even if I've not met any of them -- which lends the proceedings a familiarity, and occasionally gives rise to occasional moments of "oh yeah, her said something like that on OTF before".
            Last edited by G-Man; 19-07-2017, 11:40.

Comment

The Mercator Seat - Nick Cave
              Do You Love Me - The Contours
              Vanishing Trig Point - New Ordnance Survey
              and so on...

Comment

That's Sarah Bee, mate.

Oh, and latest episode came out this week.

Comment

Edited accordingly.

Comment

All I can say is, poor Midge Ure. The kickings are relentless* (and hilarious).

*Not really.

Comment

Jimmy Savile wrestling with DLT.

https://chartmusiccouk.wordpress.com...k-and-chew-it/

Comment

New episode out now. 1981. I am looking forward to hearing the considered views of Messrs Price, Parkes and Nishlord on Simon Bates...

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                          New episode out now. 1981. I am looking forward to hearing the considered views of Messrs Price, Parkes and Nishlord on Simon Bates...
                          I'm enjoying it now. I recently watched a retrospective of TOTP for 1981.
                          I've never heard most of these songs. And I don't think that's just because I'm American. Much of it is shit.
                          When people say "the music in the old days was so much better" they forget all the dross that reached #1 and only remember the good stuff.
                          Like Taylor, I was 9 in 1981 (or most of it anyway). So I was only just starting to be aware of pop music.

Also, unlike these guys, I really like Martin Gore's shit lyrics. I think there's something to be said - especially for young people - to just express their sadness and what not, even if it comes out as bad lyrics. Along with the Smiths, DM gave us "permission" to do that, as I recall.

Comment

Decent use of the ears, this. The latest was very entertaining.

Comment

Was only 5 in '81 but, so can't say Japan et al resonated. Really want to waste the rest of the evening looking up Imagination clips.

Comment

The Hi-Gloss tune was a bunch of session players but a decent song which I do remember.

My one slight gripe is that the programme clips are at the wrong speed: too fast

Comment

Some really good analysis from Price in that episode, and lots of good one-liners, as usual. I didn't laugh the loudest but the longest for Taylor's throwaway line: "I followed Simon Bates' advice, and I wasn't grateful." It's even better out of context.

Comment

I just enjoyed the 1984 one. Good episode of Chart Music, but a terrible episode of TOTP, partly because they weren't allowed to play FGTH's Relax.
                                    83 and 84 were when I was just getting really interested and I actually liked Live Aid. It's only in retrospect that I can see why it was largely awful.
                                    It is notable in Pennsylvania history because the US version was in Philadelphia, not New York or LA or Chicago, and it was at the old JFK Stadium, not the Vet. That's the last thing of note to ever happen there, I think.

Comment

According to Geldof in his autobiography, Philadelphia was the last chance saloon, L.A was too far from London to work and New York put too many obstacles in their way, at one stage the English concert was going to be held in Villa Park!

Comment

Just listening to episode four from 1979 and I learn to my astonishment that Toni Basil's Mickey is based on this.

Comment

I've now listened to all of them. I'm amazed by how different it is from the US equivalents.

On the 79 one, I somehow forgot that the Sex Pistols recorded anything after Lydon left. It's ok, but not great, it it? I'd never heard Frigging in the Rigging before and kind of wish I hadn't. Frig means something in the UK that it doesn't mean here.

From the earlier 70s ones, I didn't know that Wink Martindale had a recording career. I remember him rocking the skinny microphone as the quintessential game show host on Tic Tac Dough.

I'm surprised Donny and Marie were big in the UK at all. They were massive here, as I recall. I had a friend when I was four or five who was way into them and had a toy guitar with their faces on it and loved their show. Poor kid. That's the most hopelessly uncool thing I can imagine and I know a lot about hopelessly uncool.

On further reflection, I'm now fully convinced that Live Aid did mark the end of something good and the start of something shit. I didn't believe it before, but now I do. I'd also point out that 83 was the end of the Police and the start of Sting's solo career. That marks an important change too.

My favorite contemporary band 84-88 was The Hooters, and I stand by that. They wrote good songs. Their production sounds a bit overcooked now, but still good. I'd love to see them live again.
                                          Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 08-08-2017, 17:35.

Comment

Is Glendale, PA near you, HP?

3rd and 4th November, if so, at the Keswick Theater.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                                              Is Glendale, PA near you, HP?

3rd and 4th November, if so, at the Keswick Theater.
                                              That's Philadelphia, essentially, so about 3.5 hours away. I may check it out. Most of the dates on their current tour are in Germany. Germans like a lot of semi-obscure American bands.

Comment

Originally posted by Nishlord View Post
                                                That's Sarah Bee, mate.

Oh, and latest episode came out this week.
                                                I thought Sarah Bee was an OTFer whose handle I just forgot. Oops. I asked her to be my Facebook friend. She'll think I'm like one of those weirdos who asks our movie stars on their Instagram pages.

But I enjoyed her contribution. I hope she's on again.

Comment

Also, for a while, when they were talking about "Pan's People" - the UK's answer to the Solid Gold Dancers, i guess - I thought you all were saying "the pants people," as in people who are pants, because they can't dance well.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X