Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, I assumed he meant Stubbs & Parkes.

Comment

I’m slowcore tonight. That does make more sense.

Comment

I had no idea that Man utd released a cup final song in 1995, and I can remember nearly every actual game of that season, including the game two nights before. (A cole scuffer from a loose ball, and Irwin with a penalty that he fell over after taking.)

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
          Satchmo Distel gets a shout-out (at 5.00), so I am now officially part of Chart Music history.
          Yup, me too a couple after you. WOOOOOOOO!

Comment

A small thrill, having yer name read oot. First time since I won some terrible record on the Evening Session in the Goodier days. Look at me, top of the world, Ma! “Famous” among forty something misfits!

Comment

I hated EuroBeat at the time, but it definitely beats the hell out of say Weatherhall’s stuff in 95. The production value that made me want to gag then does have a melancholy feel for total froth, Taylor wasn’t just yapping away. I really have to go on the YouTube channel for this ep. And then going on an N-JOI binge.
              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 22-03-2018, 21:10.

Comment

I played Rhythm Is A Dancer the other day and thought it was awesome. Hated it at the time.

Comment

1995 means almost nothing to me. I didn't follow music much those days and didn't really like much of Brit Pop. Nor do I have a huge academic interest in mid-90s pop. So this is one episode I am nit itching to lisren to (though listen to it I will).

Next episode will be set in the summer of 1985, Simon Price has revealed on Facebook. They'll be discussing Opus! Now, that I am burning to hear!

Comment

The music clips are the least interesting thing about this episode, but coverage of the music press, wank mag office politics and Britpop are all excellent (the bit on the latter makes reference to this piece Taylor wrote for The Quietus).

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                      They'll be discussing Opus! Now, that I am burning to hear!
                      Couldn't work out whether that referred to the Live is Life hitmakers or the woman twirling the balls.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
                          The music clips are the least interesting thing about this episode, but coverage of the music press, wank mag office politics and Britpop are all excellent (the bit on the latter makes reference to this piece Taylor wrote for The Quietus).
                          "People with such little sense of their own ridiculousness, they'd actually call an album Urban Hymns. Jesus Christ!"

I too thought that was a ridiculous title, but somebody got mad at me for mocking it. Perhaps on this board. I can't recall exactly.

What's a "rockery?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                            "People with such little sense of their own ridiculousness, they'd actually call an album Urban Hymns. Jesus Christ!"

I too thought that was a ridiculous title, but somebody got mad at me for mocking it. Perhaps on this board. I can't recall exactly.

What's a "rockery?"
                            Haven't listened to it yet so I'm only guessing the context, but a rockery usually refers to a part of your garden (yard) where you make a feature out of a patch of large stones / small rocks, maybe with some plants (heathers or similar) growing between and around them.

Comment

Some rockeries.

Comment

As the name suggests, it's a place where you leave your pet rocks to be looked after while you're away.

Comment

I played Rhythm Is A Dancer the other day and thought it was awesome. Hated it at the time.
                                  The early 90s were a good era for that kind of thing and for sample-heavy dance-able hip-hop, but looking at this list, apparently that had already ended by 95. As I recall, the Arsenio Hall show and Living Color were a big part of that. YouTube has a lot of great stuff from that show like this, but that was all over by 95. IIRC, 95 was the year Eazy E died and NWA were long gone by then. 2pac died in 1996. I'm not a hip-hop or rap connoisseur, but I don't think the late 90s were a great era for it, at least not in terms of stuff that would have made the main charts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billbo...ingles_of_1995

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                    Haven't listened to it yet so I'm only guessing the context, but a rockery usually refers to a part of your garden (yard) where you make a feature out of a patch of large stones / small rocks, maybe with some plants (heathers or similar) growing between and around them.
                                    It's mentioned in Taylor's Quietus piece, not in the podcast.

I think we'd call that a "rock garden" or "hardscaping."

Comment

The early 90s were a good era for that kind of thing and for sample-heavy dance-able hip-hop, but looking at this list, apparently that had already ended by 95. As I recall, the Arsenio Hall show and Living Color were a big part of that. YouTube has a lot of great stuff from that show like this, but that was all over by 95. IIRC, 95 was the year Eazy E died and NWA were long gone by then. 2pac died in 1996. I'm not a hip-hop or rap connoisseur, but I don't think the late 90s were a great era for it, at least not in terms of stuff that would have made the main charts.

Early 90s hip hop is just great (and fast outside g funk). Tribe Called Quest, Pharcyde, lovely stuff. Mid 90s Wu Tang ain’t nothin to fuck with: but much slower and harder on the ears for a casual listen. After Wu got shite I kind of tuned out.

Comment

I think we'd call that a "rock garden" or "hardscaping."
                                        It's indeed basically the same thing, although I'd tend to reserve the term "rock garden" for a mini-landscape carefully planted up with alpines etc. – which might be what you're getting at too HP. A "rockery", to me, in semi-contrast could be just a big old jumble of rocks used as a retaining wall or bank, with a few plants scattered in: a less 'gardened' feature, if you will. I appreciate that's a fairly arbitrary and fine distinction, though.

Comment

hah, looking at all the black artists at the top end of the chart you'd never know that Ace of Base had three of the top ten selling records the year before, despite singing nazi reggae about welfare queens.

Comment

The episode two weeks after the 11.5.95 one in CM21 was presented by Lee and Herring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D2enndYGSI

Comment

Next episode (#22) drops tomorrow.

Comment

Was very good. A Price/Kulkarni joint, they’re always fun in the depths of the eighties.

Comment

Yes, they are the dream team for 1985: critical but not too negative, whereas Taylor and Stubbs might just hate every track.

It's a surprisingly decent chart, despite the obvious overall trend towards bland, safe post-Live Aid shit, which you see in the top two, for example (Madonna, Sister Sledge). The charts have not quite jumped the shark yet. Genuine edgy stuff like Propaganda still gets a decent shake.
                                                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 31-03-2018, 01:13.

Comment

Tbh I think combos of Taylor Price and Kulkarni are the best. No offense to wingco but he’s a little more dry on the podcast. And I keep getting a Harry Hill soundalike thing going on. Could do with more Sarah Bee to reduce the sausage factor, she’s hardly been on in more than a year’s worth.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X