No announcement yet.

Chart Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve just Patreon’d and the next episode includes Terrorvision. This might not end well.

Comment

Which podcast is everybody referring to?

Comment

The one in the thread title

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
          And Andrew Collins. That was satisfying, even if Maconie escaped unscathed.
          Maconie seems to be out of bounds, surprisingly. Might be worth sending a Maconie question for the next one.

1996 - they seem to recognize that the programme was dying rapidly at this point.

Comment

It has come to the point where the idea of an episode being longer than usual makes my heart sink a bit. In fairness, the content is usually turns out to be worth the investment of time.

Comment

This is the first one I have decided to separate into two listening sessions. First hour is basically Melody Maker and Paul Desmond anecdotes, which have become a podcast within a podcast now.

However, both Neil and Sarah are great value because they go into a lot of depth and argue a point to its conclusion whereas Taylor and Simon would just make an assertion that you could either take or leave.

One problem though is that 4 hours will exhaust a lot of material that could have been saved for future use. It's not a sustainable format in fallow chart years but I think 1996, to be fair, was perhaps the last year where some things in the charts felt new. OTOH this was also when singles entered high then dropped like a stone so did not have time to register in the memory.

Comment

The discussion on Brian Harvey was very interesting.

Comment

I listened to (most of) this at work. People were very intrigued by swearing in a foreign language.

I really enjoyed that, and was surprised at the lack of a kicking certain bands got.

Comment

OK Slim Panatella, is not ever, cool. If only there was a trade mark button literallly, when I taught him.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8dqCQ2MHfQ

Sort yyoursl]

and don't, think, that way:

I am not.

Comment

I cannot believe the disrespect applied to The Hooters in this episode. Unacceptable. The greatest 80s band from Philadelphia ever and one of the few decent contributions white people from Pennsylvania have ever made to popular music.

And lumping Pearl Jam and Staind together is an egregious error.
                        Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 04-12-2018, 18:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                          I cannot believe the disrespect applied to The Hooters in this episode. Unacceptable. The greatest 80s band from Philadelphia ever and one of the few decent contributions white people from Pennsylvania have ever made to popular music.
                          I can't go for that.

Comment

I see Hall & Oates as more of a 70s band and, like I said, the Hooters are one of the only decent contributions to music from white Pennsylvanians. H&O are another. But the complete list probably has no more than ten entries.

Comment

Hall & Oates had their biggest hits in the 80s in the UK. Infact they had only one chart entry in the 70s, which reached #42.

https://www.officialcharts.com/artis...all-and-oates/

Comment

I see. Fine. Then the Hooters are the second best 80s band from Philadelphia (though I actually like The Hooters better). Number three is Tommy Conwell & The Young Rumblers. Fourth is The Dead Milkmen.

But the Hooters are, probably, the best all-white band from Philadelphia to chart in the 80s with songs featuring the melodica.
                                Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 04-12-2018, 20:15.

Comment

Sister Sledge, Maze featuring Frankie Beverley, The Delfonics, The Stylistics, Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes, The Three Degrees, Labelle, and The Delfonics are all from Philadephia. As are The Roots. Does any US city have such a huge imbalance in the quality of its black and white music?

Comment

But the Hooters are, probably, the best all-white band from Philadelphia to chart in the 80s with songs featuring the melodica.

I love these nuanced claims. How about Steven Seagal is the best Jewish-dutch american martial arts movie star to be born in lansing michigan in 1952.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                      Sister Sledge, Maze featuring Frankie Beverley, The Delfonics, The Stylistics, Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes, The Three Degrees, Labelle, and The Delfonics are all from Philadephia. As are The Roots. Does any US city have such a huge imbalance in the quality of its black and white music?
                                      Though they were a bit too "of the 80s" for their own good, I really loved The Hooters in their day and still like some of their songs. Likewise with the other bands I mentioned. Tommy Conwell did some of that catchy "short-hair rock," as I like to call it, that popped up here and there in the 80s. Dead Milkman were/are kind of a novelty band, but who doesn't like "Punk Rock Girl?"

But I just can't think of any other white bands from Philadelphia. There are some. They just haven't made any impression.

Likewise, if we look Pennsylvania-wide, the only white acts that anyone else likely has heard of are Poison (yeah, that one. Mostly from Mechanicsburg, as I recall), OHW Dan Hartman (RIP), Rusted Root, and Donnie Iris.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

I love these nuanced claims. How about Steven Seagal is the best Jewish-dutch american martial arts movie star to be born in lansing michigan in 1952.
                                        I don't know enough about the martial arts film genre to support that claim.

Comment

Well, Kid Rock is from Detroit

Comment

But so is Eminem.

Comment

White Philly acts:

Todd Rundgren, Mario Lanza and erm…Len Barry.

Honourable mention to the late Linda Creed for her songwriting contributions alongside Thom Bell.

Hardly tips the balance, admittedly.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

What the hell? Could you just award this guy to Russia or the US without tainting others? Haven't the Dutch suffered enough?

Comment

Didn’t know that about Todd Rungren.

Comment

Next one drops tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                                                    X