No announcement yet.

Shooting His Bolt - World Athletics/Para-Athletics Championships 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought it cruel for them to show the pole jumper sobbing after missing out on a medal for so long. It just felt intrusive.

The 100 metres final was good wasn't it?

Comment

What's the deal with the 100 m being Bolt's last race? Is he not doing the 200 m?

Comment

No but he is doing the 4x100m relay (though I think the USA may have him beat there too).

Comment

Great session tonight. The 100m final was obviously a fantastic contest but the other highlights were the Women's Pole Vault and the Men's 800m semis.

I can't believe the results in the latter - Korir and Rotich out, Amos struggling to eventually finish second and Langford qualifying from seemingly nowhere after appearing to fade around 600m. The final should be a cracking double-header with the men's 400m final on Tuesday.
          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 07-08-2017, 11:57.

Comment

Toni Minicello as BBC co-commentator and occasional studio analyser is adding an interesting coach's perspective at these championships. Even though some of the others do a bit of coaching, he's giving great insight on the technical aspects of field events and physiology observations.

Comment

I'm going on Thursday with the family. Block 233, very excited after having devoured the coverage since returning home from holiday on Sunday. Popular in our house has been Yarisley Silva's magnificent bottom, Wang Cheng's consistency throughout her six hammer throws for silver, and all the 400m hurdles races seemingly turning into the 2001 Grand National.

The Semenya debate on BBC tonight was pretty low though.

Comment

With regard to the last two posts, one of the best things about going to the sessions is not having to hear the BBC's presentation of the event.

Anyway, I started this evening saying "Oh, the Triple Jump is the one event I can't get with" and ended it exclaiming "What a shootout between the two South American hotshots!".

Loved McLeod's 110m Hurdles win (they certainly should stick him in the relay team on current form, as I've seen suggested elsewhere) and the Women's 1500m was a bloody great race.
                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 07-08-2017, 23:27.

Comment

It gets worse when they go to BBC One.

Though they are still better than NBC. I'm thinking of trying Eurosport, but the stream quality isn't at all close to that of the Beeb.

Comment

Did they ask Spurs for catering recommendations?

Organisers of International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) World Championships have confirmed a number of athletes have contracted gastroenteritis within one of the official hotels for the event here.

This includes Botswana's Isaac Makwala, forced to withdraw from the 200 metres heats before they took place tonight.

Others affected include Irish 400m hurdler Thomas Barr, who was due to compete in the semi-finals but pulled out this morning.

"Tons of cases" of the sickness bug in the Canadian team which is participating at the Championships have been reported.
                    Lots of Germans too, per German media.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                      It gets worse when they go to BBC One.

Though they are still better than NBC. I'm thinking of trying Eurosport, but the stream quality isn't at all close to that of the Beeb.
                      BBC commentary is ridiculous. Building up the nation's hopes by overhyping the athlete's chances, then deconstructing all the faults when they perform to their realistic level. It's bullshit jingoism to the nth degree, and it's having an effect on my ability to watch.

For clear analysis, including the Semenya debate, you can't beat a bit of Ross Tucker on his website. http://sportsscientists.com/. From his research on hyperandrogenic females, he reasons that nearly all throwing athletes are on a course of steroids before big events (it's from the data collected on testosterone levels), and that it is a reasonable supposition that between 30-40% of any field at any one time are doping.

Comment

Afternoon all. Agreed with VT about much of the BBC exaggerated hysteria. They presented Johnson-Thompson's performance as disastrous, maybe even career-threatening. Until she arrived for interview and sounded relaxed and positive. Ditto Laura Muir. All that said, it's worth the rubbish for Michael Johnson and his new analysis colleague Tony Minichello. I'm developing a man-crush

Comment

I was sat in front of Eilidh Doyle's entire extended family last night who were cheering her on in matching t shirts ;

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 08-08-2017, 13:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                            Afternoon all. Agreed with VT about much of the BBC exaggerated hysteria. They presented Johnson-Thompson's performance as disastrous, maybe even career-threatening. Until she arrived for interview and sounded relaxed and positive. Ditto Laura Muir. All that said, it's worth the rubbish for Michael Johnson and his new analysis colleague Tony Minichello. I'm developing a man-crush
                            The Laura Muir thing was ridiculous. Imagine working your way up to being fourth best in the world at something and then being asked to explain where it had 'gone wrong'.

Comment

BBC coverage getting worse - pushing the British 200m women into trackside interviews immediately after not running particularly well. Excruciating.

Comment

On the plus side, some wonderful free advertising for a chip shop in Watford.

Comment

What a great start by Asher-Smith. I really hope she makes the final.

Comment

The BBC continue to provide sport for people who don't like sport. Reggie Yates (I think) outside interviewing and interacting with the public like it's a Radio 1 roadshow. Multiple musical montages, clumsy debates on doping and Caster Semanya, far too much Paula Radcliffe, etc.

The athletics is good though. The triple jump last night was a real highlight, those South American women had some sass.

Comment

All this from BBC Sport:

'No official confirmation'
                                      Makwala turned away
                                      Posted at 20:32
                                      Falcon Sedimo, representative of the Botswana athletics federation: "Isaac has been taken back to the hotel. We don't have any official communication from the IAAF.

"I haven't gone through the rules but we have a right to appeal.

"There has been no formal communication other than the medical communication.

"I met with Isaac this morning and this afternoon and he was ready for his race. He only has one symptom of the norovirus.

"Whether they are legally binding or not, we have not had any formal communication from the IAAF.

"He has been waiting for years to perform here.

"He has not been asked to be quarantined from other athletes in the hotel but he is not able to enter the stadium tonight."

Comment

Kenya feel it
                                        Kenya feel it

Comment

Pole Vault is lit (as the kidz say)

Comment

Fucking hell Langford, do that a couple of paces earlier!

Comment

Anyone who can beat Nijel Amos is doing bloody well.

Comment

Comment

Can anyone translate Setswana?

Comment

Van Niekerk is just too good.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X