Fleetwood at Birkdale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fleetwood at Birkdale?

It can't be too soon to start the Open Championship thread, especially as I'm looking at pissing rain in Lancashire as I type. If it's like this next week it'll be fun.

Jordan Spieth has pushed himself up to favourite for me after his recent win in the States, but it really seems to be a very open Open. The bookies favour Dustin Johnson but I think he's gone off the boil a bit. Sergio always gets into the mix at the Open, and now he's finally won a major might (just as Nick Faldo, Nick Price and Mark O'Meara did in the past) follow it up with a rapid second one.

There's a bit of interest among the home lads too, I think. Local lad Tommy Fleetwood is having a fantastic 2017 - third in this year's rankings behind only Johnson and Jon Rahm - and will know Birkdale like the back of his hand. He must be a serious contender. Ian Poulter almost lost his tour place a couple of months ago but has played his way in through the qualifiers and could be on for a Darren Clarke type "at last" unexpected win. And I have a feeling neither Chris Wood nor Matthew Fitzpatrick will be too far away.

I'm getting obsessed with the idea of Hideki Matsuyama becoming Japan's first major champion but I genuinely think he could have a chance, too. All in all a lot to look forward to.
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 11-07-2017, 17:42.

Are you going this year?

Comment

As always, I shall be putting my each way bet on Koch, as he seems such a nice smiley man. Who knows, he might be a rampant, southern bigot for all I know. But I doubt it. I think he deserves a major. 1 Players is not enough. Although I don't think the Open is the most likely major for him.

Each way bets on him tend to liven up the last day even more though. As he frequently seems to come in under the radar.

I suspect it'll have to be anyone but Sprite for me on the last day though.

Comment

Damn, I mean Kooch not Koch. But I've just had a rather nasty experience with editing and am loathed to try it again.

Comment

And it's Speith not Sprite. Bloody new phone.

Comment

Yes (to GO) going on the Thursday. Logan I assume those are your names for Kuchar and Spieth or am I missing something?

Comment

Ah. I'm just too slow at typing.

Comment

Rogin - if you're not driving then I'd recommend the Grasshopper micropub which is just a few hundred yards from Hillside station - they have a twitter feed @the_grasshopper if you need convincing!

Comment

They've mucked up some of my running routes to fit in the corporate village.

Comment

They've changed the destination screens on buses too - "Liverpool via Royal Birkdale". I reckon if you're too thick to read a bus timetable then you shouldn't be fucking going to the golf.

Comment

"You da man!!!"
                      "In the hole!!!"

Comment

So, E5 ew on Kooch at 60-1 is looking pretty healthy at the moment. I expect him to drift back into obscurity on Friday and Saturday, and then sneak back to joint 2nd in the clubhouse an hour before the last pair come in and make me sweat like he often does.

Comment

Disappointing day for Tommy Fleetwood but other than that all my tips are still very much in the hunt. It was a real day of contrasts weather wise - bloody freezing all morning, then by 2 the sun had come out and we were baking in the grandstands. Birkdale's really quite hilly for a links - lots of tall dunes - and I think that was confusing the players, on holes where the tees are sheltered from the wind. Certainly true of the short 14th, where of 7 groups we watched go through around 15 players missed the green to the left, which was the way the wind was blowing. Enjoyed some of the tented village stuff - at 1 Mastercard had an audience with Mark O'Meara in their beer tent, who turned out to be a very funny and engaging guy, lots of insights into what it means to a player to win a first major, to win an Open, and spoke quite honestly about the problems affecting his friend Tiger.

Comment

Looking good for "my" Kooch at the moment. Level par to the 12th and Speith and Koepka have a full 18 holes of windy hell this afternoon. The E450 profit and the accompanying feeling of smugness could both come in quite handy at the moment. But then, things like this don't seem to happen to me any more.

If Rory fucks this up for me then, we'll... I just wont like him much anymore.

Comment

My dad and I went to the Open first day last time it was at Birkdale. The weather was appalling then too.

Of my selections, Alex Noren is level par. Tyrrell Hatton has departed at +11

Comment

Spieth looks like he's got this. But then that was true at the Masters last year and he fucked up and let Danny Willett win it. It's anyone's yet.
                                Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 22-07-2017, 09:23.

Comment

I backed Justin Thomas in play this afternoon at 22-1. I wasn't watching, but it was probably seconds before he teed off on the 6th and made quintuple bogey. 250-1 now. Stupid tie prick. (Him, and me).

Comment

The first time in four years I don't back Branden Grace and he goes and shoots a 62. Record books being ripped up everywhere. Fantastic stuff. Spieth needs to go out and shoot 65, 66 just to stay in the lead I reckon. What a tournament this is turning into.

Comment

Nice to see the young lad take my advice and go out and shoot 65. 66 tomorrow still needed though I reckon.

Comment

I already dislike Jordan Speith, although he is probably a very nice lad. I have a feeling I am going to loathe him around 8 o'clock tonight when he robs me of what for me would be A Bloody Fortune. Come on Kooch...

My Dutch cable have shown all 3 rounds live on their single free to air channel. Today they are showing the fencing. How sodding petty is that?

5live's coverage is a bit Inverdaley, but generally pretty good. Carter and Jay the American are both excellent. Probably better that I can't watch. The tension would kill me.

It looks (sounds) like a lot of the nearest challengers are starting quite badly so I should be safe for some each way compensation at least.

Comment

Speith bogeys 2 out of the first 3, a nasty long putt on the next.

Alex Noren, my tip, is tied for fourth.

Comment

3 put for Speith. Back to -8, tied with Kuchar.

Comment

The Chinese lad in the clubhouse at 6 under could do worse than starting to prepare a victory speech. Or at least get ready for a playoff.

Comment

Li has never won outside of China

His best finish in a major is 68th at the US Open

Comment

Last pair are on the clock. Hole and a half behind the second last pair.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X