FA Cup 2017/18 - California Dreaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
    Yay! I can watch this year's FA Cup Final. Hopefully...
    I certainly don't think you need to have even the remotest concern that the other team you loathe will get there

Comment

Poor Arsene. No-one gives a fuck if he wins he FA cup, but they start setting things on fire if they get knocked out.

Comment

I see Alan Hardy wanted a big six club away, so when Notts got Swansea or Wolves at home, he tweeted the 'pile of poo' emoji.

Poor Alan. Not going to cover your FFP overspending with unlucky draws like that are you mate?

Comment

An unlikely Carlisle win in next week's replay will have Brunton Park buzzing with cup fever again for Stevenage or Reading. I'm only being partly sarcastic there, cos we don't see a lot of 4th round games so we'd happily take it.

Comment

Probably won't be a throbbing occasion at Hillsborough, likely to be played on the Sunday (on account of United's home draw and it's their turn for the Saturday) and in front of no more than 15k. All a very winnable pair of ties which means we'll balls it up somewhere.

Comment

From the BBC online coverage of tonight’s draw :

Comment

I know Arsenal went out but this trophy still has the rest of the big 6 all over it, as usual, so I was disappointed none of them drew each other. Only crumb of comfort, given my dislike of Newcastle, was them or Chelsea going out ( or both?! Nah)

Comment

Fourth-round draw in full:

Liverpool v West Brom

Peterborough v Fleetwood/Leicester

Huddersfield v Birmingham

Notts County v Wolves/Swansea

Yeovil v Manchester United

Carlisle/Sheffield Wednesday v Stevenage/Reading

Cardiff/Mansfield v Manchester City

MK Dons v Coventry

Millwall v Rochdale

Southampton v Watford

Middlesbrough v Brighton/Crystal Palace

Bournemouth/Wigan v Shrewsbury/West Ham

Hull v Nottingham Forest

Newport County v Tottenham

Norwich/Chelsea v Newcastle

Sheffield United v Preston

Comment

I think Shrewsbury's chance has gone but at least there's no pressure of 'we've got Man U next' or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                      I know Arsenal went out but this trophy still has the rest of the big 6 all over it, as usual, so I was disappointed none of them drew each other. Only crumb of comfort, given my dislike of Newcastle, was them or Chelsea going out ( or both?! Nah)
                      We've got bugger-all else to aim for this season, so hope we'll have a crack at making this happen.

Comment

I'm not sure I can phrase this right. Why is the 1st round where it is in the competition? Why not start from the actual first round of games?

Comment

I guess it's always made a kind of sense to me in a 'this is when the League teams join in' way. I suppose in the past there was a more marked professional vs, semi-pro/amateur divide at this point in the pyramid too.

What bugs me more is that two of the qualifying rounds are called Extra-preliminary and Preliminary. Why isn't it just six qualifying rounds?

Comment

In the 20s the "first round proper" was what we'd now call the third round.

Comment

Probably because there were originally only the four qualifying rounds, and the Preliminary and then Extra Preliminary have been bolted on as the competition has grown. The latter only turned up in the last 15 years or so. Would certainly make sense to rename to give six qualifying rounds, other than any confusion that might be caused.

Why the Trophy and the Vase need qualifying rounds, on the other hand...

Comment

QPR's crapitude means that I won't have to fret about whether or not to go to * on the 27th...

Comment

I don't understand. What is the "Fourth Round" of which you all speak?

Comment

Round of 32?

It always throws me that the 2nd round has fewer teams (40) than the 3rd (64).

Comment

I was making a sarcastic response to GO regarding our woeful FA Cup record (Only Plymouth Argyle (49) have been knocked out of the FA Cup at the Third Round stage more than QPR (48). In fact We haven't won an FA Cup match, without the aid of a replay, since Tricky Trev's famous bicycle kick dispatched Barnsley in 1997. A fourth round tie is about as likely to happen as a unicorn is to be found grazing on Shepherds Bush Green.
                                      Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 11-01-2018, 05:52.

Comment

Inevitable run to the semi finals for the Hoops now, following that bit of reverse psychology.

Comment

Except that they're out...

Comment

Oh. There's always next year I guess.

Comment

Ipswich are mounting a challenge to QPR's proud record of 3rd Round ineptitude. Town have now lost eight consecutive 3rd Round ties.

I know it has ever been thus, more or less, but the fact that 700 clubs spend months knocking each other out until just 20 of them remain, at which point they are joined by 44 clubs who haven't had to bother until then has recently started to feel really odd and lop-sided to me. 670-odd ties to spit out 31% of the 3rd Round participants (I appreciate clubs join in at various stages before then, but there's nothing quite as jarring as the influx of 3rd Round entrants).

Comment

I agree. I'd get behind a campaign to have all FL & PL clubs join at Round 1. Assuming the same number of rounds to the final his would also have the advantage of increasing the number of teams allowed to qualify for the first round (ie non-league teams) be increased from 32 to 164 (that's a very quick back of the envelope bit of maths, so may well be well off)

Comment

Correct, round 1 would need 256 to make it a straight knock-out to the Final with the same number of rounds. And 256 - 92 = 164 non-league qualifiers.

I like. It would mean a sizeable number of NPL/Southern/Isthmian teams getting through, and maybe the odd team even lower.
                                                  Last edited by Kevin S; 11-01-2018, 11:40.

Comment

That said, when Gluey League team X draws Man United away, it probably then distorts the Gluey League for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X