No announcement yet.

FA Cup 2017/18 - California Dreaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To spoil things slightly, it was 1950-51 that was the last time no non-League team reached Round 3. In 1962-63 Gravesend & Northfleet reached Round 4.

Comment

So why do we think this is? Random fluke or indicative of something?

Comment

Definitely random seeing as non-league clubs reached the 5th round and the quarter-finals last season, even knocking out a Premier League side. As I said before, it's a bit of Karmic balance after last season and in future seasons will most likely level off with a few non league clubs reaching the third round and the odd one reaching the fourth.
        It must surely be somewhat of an anomaly for no non league clubs to be drawn against each other in the second round anyway, considering the fact that they make up 40% of the first round entrants.

Comment

Having just checked back,it would appear that 2003/04 was the last time that none of the non league clubs faced each other in the second round.

Comment

Any Newport fans wanting a ticket for Newport v Leeds will have to travel to the ground between 9 and 5 in the week. This is dead handy for exiles. Fucking parochial twats.

Comment

I might be able to call in on my way to Aberbeeg tomorrow if you need some, HORN.

(It's not really on the way but I could detour)

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                That's all the excuse I need to post one of my favourite frozen football clips: FA Cup Round 3 1963, fast forward to 20 minutes to see Tranmere playing in the snow, in white, in black and white.

Excellent. That was a horrible endless winter. Getting up a 5:30am everyday to deliver newspapers was no fun at all.

Interesting seeing Dave Hickson again playing for Tranmere. In the previous year's FA Cup he was playing for Cambridge City, after leaving Everton, at Hitchin in the third qualifying round.

Comment

Is that the real FA Cup behind Alan Weeks?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                    I might be able to call in on my way to Aberbeeg tomorrow if you need some, HORN.

(It's not really on the way but I could detour)
                    That’s awfully kind of you. I won’t put you out. I shall go to Saturday’s game and try my luck then. The gods shall decide.

(As a trust member I could get one ticket by calling the club, but I need a further ticket for Willie).

Comment

Got my West Ham ticket. Did you have any luck, HORN?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                        Is that the real FA Cup behind Alan Weeks?
                        The real one got nicked and melted down.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                          Got my West Ham ticket. Did you have any luck, HORN?
                          Ahh, I did. Thanks for asking (and thanks again for your selfless offer). World Cup Willie and I will be in the Hazel Stand (which is where the coins were thrown from v Lincoln apparently - I will keep my eyes peeled for any twats).
                          Last edited by HORN; 30-12-2017, 18:56.

Comment

Norwich v Chelsea in the 3rd round, tomorrow evening's game, is a repeat of 2002. Then, Norwich were pushing for a playoff place (eventually getting it, and losing to Birmingham in the final on penalties) and, frankly, gave Chelsea a good going over. Except for the fact that Cudicini kept everything out and the match finished 0-0. Chelsea won the replay 4-0, with Zola scoring 'that goal' (you'll remember it when you see it). Full story and pics below - I had to snigger at seeing Frank Lampard trying to claim someone else's goal...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOr4lTpquJ8&t=43m43s

Comment

I like to bet on football on a saturday (I know, addiction, alienation etc) and the 3rd round is always an unpredictable weekend, with some long-odds wins possible.

What has become less predictable is whether some of the middling Prem teams bother to turn up/try...

So here are my FA Cup predictions, as always hedged in various perms: Huddersfield to win; Fulham to beat S'ton; Blackburn to beat Hull; Brentford-Notts Co draw; and the 13/2 piece de resistance- Bristol City

Comment

What did Firminho say to Holgate then to make him go ballistic?

Comment

Looked like "Puta" was in there somewhere

Comment

Although to be fair Holgate was already going nuts when he threw Firmino into the stands.

Comment

https://twitter.com/SambaFirmino/status/949379544041054210

https://twitter.com/SambaFirmino/status/949381940087574533

Comment

I don’t think Holgate went mad about the puta comment, he appeared to react to something Firminho said after that which wasn’t visible to lipread because his face is obscured by the referee.

Comment

This clip is going round Twitter, Holgate seems to believe Firminho called him the n word.
                                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 05-01-2018, 21:50.

Comment

It was right in the referee's ear so if he did no one else heard it.
                                            He better not have done. Would be extraordinarily stupid and appalling, given how brave and open Rhian Brewster has been recently.
                                            Think I'll wait to see what shakes out. Twitter lip readers don't do it for me.

Comment

Interesting that Everton looked a far better side with Rooney off, Lookman on and Siguršsson central. All Wayne managed was to go looking for a red card and slow down their counter-attacks, they were a far sharper side without him.
                                              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 05-01-2018, 22:12.

Comment

I thought Rooney's performance was so embarrassingly poor, it wouldn't surprise me if he announced his retirement from football in the next few days.

Comment

The ineptitude or cowardice of the referee in the Fleetwood game denied us one of the game's great sights earlier - an indirect free kick inside the box. A Leicester player hoofed it back to his keeper who had to dive to handle it past the post. Ref gave a corner, should have been a Fleetwood kick from about four yards out.

Comment

Yay! I can watch this year's FA Cup Final. Hopefully...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X