No announcement yet.

FA Cup 2017/18 - California Dreaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first thought on seeing the semi-final draw was that we could see a repeat of the 1976 Man U v Southampton final, rather than a repeat of the 2007 Man U v Chelsea one, but that's my age rather than probability, as I have absolutely no memory of the 2007 game but Bobby Stokes planting it past Alex Stepney (who goes down far too slowly, showing his age) is a fresh as a daisy.

I can't recall ever seeing the 1967 Spurs v Chelsea goals, even on Cup Final Grandstand's Dial-A-Goal

Is this the first ever Spurs v Man U meeting at Wembley?
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 18-03-2018, 23:19.

Comment

They played there a few weeks ago in the league, but otherwise it is their first neutral meeting at Wembley.

My immediate thought was the Pat Jennings goal Charity Shield, but that was at Old Trafford, the shield didn't move to Wembley until 1974.

Comment

It's not really "neutral" in this sense though, is it?

Plus Man U will probably win.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

I can't recall ever seeing the 1967 Spurs v Chelsea goals, even on Cup Final Grandstand's Dial-A-Goal
          I was forced to go to a birthday party a few doors down from my house (on an RAF base in Norfolk), I was almost 9 yrs old. I do remember that the dad of the house had the game on in the living room but we were all in the dining room and not allowed out. I also remember that when I got home, my Dad said it was the worst cup final he had ever witnessed. That Cockney Cup Final was the 'shitonastick' of its time.

Comment

Is this the first ever Spurs v Man U meeting at Wembley?
            I was there for a league cup final between them a few years ago, 0-0 and then won by Man Utd after penalties. Lennon ran Evra ragged for 120 minutes and yet failed to put in a decent cross or create any chances.

Comment

This was the first British/European match I ever saw.

ABC’s Wild World of Sports broadcast extended highlights three or four weeks after the fact.

Comment

If the final ends up Man U v Chelsea, it will be the fourth time the same two teams have met in three different FA Cup finals. Who are the other three pairs to have met three times?

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                  If the final ends up Man U v Chelsea, it will be the fourth time the same two teams have met in three different FA Cup finals. Who are the other three pairs to have met three times?
                  What?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                    What?
                    ie Arsenal have played Liverpool in three different finals, plus two other combos, very possibly involving Royal Engineers or the Old Etonians

Comment

I still don't get it. They've met four times in three different FA Cup finals? It doesn't make sense.

Comment

It took me a couple of read throughs.

Basically it will be the third time Man U and Chelsea have played an FA Cup final.

They are the fourth pair of clubs to play three FA Cup finals against each other.

Name the other three pairs.

Is what he's asking.

Comment

There are three AvB final lineups that have occurred on three different occasions. Man U v Chelsea would be a fourth. I'm looking for the first 3 AvBs. Mr Cogito is right with Arsenal v Liverpool for the first one, so there are two more. They both involve current league clubs.

Comment

Arsenal v Newcastle.

Comment

Ohhh. "the same two teams" doesn't refer to Man Utd & Chelsea. Got it.

Comment

'Dial-a-Cup-Final', in fact. David Coleman introduced that ahead of the 1981 final. I recall a Leeds fan 'phoning in and excitedly asking for the 1972 final - which, apart from Alan Clarke's headed winner, wasn't that eventful, tbh. (I may still have some of that afternoon's build-up on an old VHS...)

Around ten years back, my sister found me a DVD box-set of the 1967 final, which I'd never seen in full until that point. Not sure I'll ever watch it again, but it does at least complete my set. (Well, almost - I don't have DVDs of our victories in 1901 or 1921.)

Edit: This Pathé footage won't take up much of your time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80XIMmOQBFc
                                Last edited by Jah Womble; 19-03-2018, 10:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Cogito View Post
                                  I was there for a league cup final between them a few years ago, 0-0 and then won by Man Utd after penalties. Lennon ran Evra ragged for 120 minutes and yet failed to put in a decent cross or create any chances.
                                  That had totally slipped my mind. It was the "Ben Foster doing his penalty homework on an iPod" final.
                                  Last edited by jwdd27; 19-03-2018, 11:36.

Comment

That was the final after which cup-tied Fraizer Campbell celebrated with United - despite having played for Spurs (and having scored twice against Liverpool) during the earlier rounds while he was on loan.

Comment

Does a replay count as a 'second occasion' for a final? If so, Man Utd v Crystal Palace - two FA Cups, three finals.

Aston Villa v West Brom happened a few times once upon a time, didn't it?

Comment

Yes, got them all. Arsenal - Liverpool, Arsenal - Newcastle and Villa - West Brom. Arsenal - Newcastle the only one to date to be at Wembley 3 times - one of the Liverpool Arsenal ones was in Cardiff and the West Brom Villa ones were all back in the Kennington Oval days.

Comment

First FA Cup final I watched, and I'm pretty sure that it was the first football match that I ever watched. I watched it with my cousin and her father in their house in Box.

Comment

I have fond memories of the 67 final. My dad had sent away for the cup final programme, so to my 10 year old self it was like a proper match day experience sitting in front of the telly flicking through it before kick off.

It was a bit of a tradition in our house for a few years but sadly that one and Everton/West Brom 68 got lost over the years though I still have the Man City/Leicester programme from 1969.

Comment

With all the muttering about Spurs' home semi, I was wondering when neutral grounds were introduced, and/or became a requirement.

The answer seems to be: since Wanderers last played at home (Kennington Oval) in 1877. So nearly half a century before Wembley existed - in fact, before cars existed.

I hope there was a minute's silence for the death of another tradition.

Comment

Harry Kane looks like Jimmy Hill with that beard.

Comment

Played like him today as well

Comment

FA cup final is yet another one to completely miss again this year then

Comment

Working...
                                                    X