No announcement yet.

FA Cup 2017/18 - California Dreaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of old league fixtures being recycled, offering opportunities to patronise former rivals.

Good draw for us, which we'll render irrelevant no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
      Genuinely thought Carlisle (or Gillingham, obvs) were going to get Chelsea.
      Every chance they'll play them in the next round, unless Norwich cause a shock.

Comment

Arrangements have been made (subject to the vagaries of FA Cup kick-off changes) to meet former OTFer World Cup Willie at Newport v Leeds. Yay.

Comment

Bollocks. I was hoping for a good Cup run. Might be able to go, though.

Comment

West Ham are playing Spurs on Thursday 4th Jan meaning the FA CUP games are likely to be Sunday or possibly both on Monday.

A pox on Sky or BT Sport, whichever is responsible for Thursday night premier league games

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
              Decent 3rd round draw. I predict Liverpool v Everton will be on the BBC. And Man U obviously!

If they do go for Man U - Derby at the expense of one of the infinitely more interesting games elsewhere then I really do give up. This must bring their run of televised FA Cup games to an end.

If Hereford get through, the BBC must surely give that to John Motson to bring his career full circle.

Comment

Last season when they showed Man Utd v Reading, the best link they could come up with was that Jaap Stam was Reading's manager.
                All the following games have more TV appeal than Man Utd v Derby:

Liverpool v Everton
                Brighton & Hove Albion v Crystal Palace
                Coventry City v Stoke City
                Nottingham Forest v Arsenal
                Forest Green Rovers or Exeter City v West Bromwich Albion
                Fleetwood or Hereford v Leicester City
                Manchester City v Burnley
                Shrewsbury Town v West Ham United
                Wolverhampton Wanderers v Swansea City
                Fulham v Southampton
                Norwich City v Chelsea

Newport County v Leeds United and Bolton Wanderers v Huddersfield Town could even be considered as well.

Comment

BT have shown time and again that they don't give a flying fuck about the magic of the cup aspect, so of course they'll show Man Utd - Derby.

Comment

Manchester United’s 12-year live FA Cup run comes to an end at 58 games

Televised FA Cup third round fixtures

Friday 5 January: Liverpool v Everton (7.55pm) – Live on BBC One

Saturday 6 January: Fleetwood Town or Hereford v Leicester City (12.45pm) – Live on BBC One; Norwich City v Chelsea (5.30pm) – Live on BT Sport 1 & BT Sport 4K UHD (on air 5pm)

Sunday 7 January: Newport County v Leeds United (12pm) – Live on BBC Wales; Shrewsbury Town v West Ham United (2pm) – Live on BBC One; Nottingham Forest v Arsenal (4pm) – Live on BT Sport 1 & BT Sport 4K UHD (on air 3.30pm).

Monday 8 January: Brighton & Hove Albion v Crystal Palace (7.45pm) – Live on BT Sport 1 & BT Sport 4K UHD (on air 7pm)

Comment

For the first time since 2005, a Manchester United FA Cup match won't be shown live. BBC matches are -

Friday 5th Jan 19:55 - Liverpool v Everton
                      Saturday 12:45 - Fleetwood/Hereford v Leicester
                      Sunday 12:00 - Newport v Leeds (BBC1 Wales)
                      Sunday 14:00 - Shrewsbury v West Ham

Those thieving bastards BT are showing -

Saturday 17:30 - Norwich v Chelsea
                      Sunday 16:00 - Forest v Arsenal
                      Monday 19:45 - Brighton v Palace

Comment

Why are BT "thieving"?

Comment

In the link above but worth highlighting. Brighton v Palace will be a trial of the VAR system :

he M23 derby is the final third-round fixture to have been chosen, with Brighton and Palace rounding off the action on Monday evening at 7.45pm at the Amex Stadium. Disorder caused by fans around the teams’ recent meeting at the Amex Stadium was described as a “return to the dark days of football” by Sussex police.

Having announced plans to introduce the VAR system earlier this year, the match will become the first competitive use of the technology in the UK as part of the International Football Association Board’s [IFAB] trial. The technology was first used in November at Wembley Stadium at England’s two senior men’s internationals against Germany and Brazil and it is intended that VARs will then be used for the remainder of the competition at a select number of fixtures.

“The FA has always been open to trialling new innovations and was heavily involved in the advancement of goal-line technology before it was introduced,” said Andy Ambler, director of professional game relations at The FA.

“The trialling of the VAR system in this season’s Emirates FA Cup from the third round is a continuation of that and further demonstrates that whilst being the most famous and historic domestic cup competition in the world it is also modern, progressive and innovative.”

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                            Why are BT "thieving"?
                            Long story Ray, but it's sufficient to say here that they are a company that I'm glad to now have nothing further to do with.

Comment

Ah, on a personal level dealing with them is a nightmare obviously. I wondered if you meant on a wider level in terms of them broadcasting games.

Comment

Oh shit. So it's not to be a private humiliation for Norwich, then. My boy - an Ipswich fan - was gleefully telling me that Chelsea will win 1000 - 0, and decided to watch the draw on iPlayer again yesterday so he could enjoy the moment all over again.

Comment

Was it not the case that they managed to swing it last season to show a Man Utd game by having a clause whereby if one of the replays had the not-desired-for outcome then they would default to a still less-than-appetising Man Utd game? Not really possible this time but I'm sure they can come up with something.

Comment

Can't see BBC changing the Leicester game; all bias from my point of view aside as both matches are a win:win. Hereford gives a chance to show Ricky George; the lowest ranked team in the draw; phoenix from the flames and the possibility of a huge upset. Fleetwood goes into Vardy overdrive.

Comment

Originally posted by nmrfox View Post
                                      Can't see BBC changing the Leicester game; all bias from my point of view aside as both matches are a win:win. Hereford gives a chance to show Ricky George; the lowest ranked team in the draw; phoenix from the flames and the possibility of a huge upset. Fleetwood goes into Vardy overdrive.
                                      Exactly. Which is why they would need to be more imaginative ...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                        Oh shit. So it's not to be a private humiliation for Norwich, then. My boy - an Ipswich fan - was gleefully telling me that Chelsea will win 1000 - 0, and decided to watch the draw on iPlayer again yesterday so he could enjoy the moment all over again.
                                        What that lad needs is to be made to sit and watch Ipswich losing 7-0 at Chelsea in the 3rd Round just a few years ago.

Comment

Well I'm a) very pleased Shrewsbury are on the telly, although I have every plan to go, and b) am very pleased it's not on the Monday night

Comment

All down to Hereford then - the entire history of the FA Cup is on their shoulders.

Also, they are wearing 1-11, so really this is a fight for football, David vs Philistines.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                              Yes, it's entirely possible that no non league team will get through to the third round this season. I suppose that could be Karmic balance following the exploits of Lincoln and Sutton last season.
                                              And there we have it. First time since 1962-3 someone near me said. Two goals from Jonny Bairstow and out go Hereford.

Comment

In winter 1963
                                                It felt like the world would freeze
                                                With John F. Kennedy
                                                And the Beatles

Comment

Me Dad has got me a ticket for the West Ham game. Yay.

Comment

Originally posted by N est à? View Post
                                                    In winter 1963
                                                    It felt like the world would freeze
                                                    With John F. Kennedy
                                                    And the Beatles
                                                    That's all the excuse I need to post one of my favourite frozen football clips: FA Cup Round 3 1963, fast forward to 20 minutes to see Tranmere playing in the snow, in white, in black and white.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X