No announcement yet.

Books about communism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not suggesting these are good articles per se, but I stumbled across both of these over the weekend and thought they might be helpful.

A commie-friendly 5 Best & 5 Worst Books on the Russian Revolution is here and an RS21 piece aims to "[illuminate] the contested histories of the Russian revolution," here.

Comment

Anne Applebaum is having a Facebook meltdown over Sheila Fitzpatrick's (scrupulously fair) Guardian review of her new "the Ukrainian Famine was a deliberate Holocaust against Ukraine" screed. Doesn't explain how or why Stalin oversaw the deaths of even more Kazakhs, guess that would undermine her narrative. One of the worst effects of Trump is to make neo-con arses sound reasonable on US politics these days. Thank goodness they still have books and spats like these to remind us of their useless worthlessness.
      Last edited by Lang Spoon; 29-08-2017, 18:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
        Doesn't explain how or why Stalin oversaw the deaths of even more Kazakhs, guess that would undermine her narrative.
        I am fairly sure this is not true. Deaths in the Kazakh famine of the 1930s were in the 1.5M-2M range; in Ukraine the number was more like 5M (though I've seen estimates up to 10). Also, FWIW, I'm pretty sure Timothy Snyder in Borderlands makes a similar case to (what I understand to be) Applebaum's.

Comment

Bloodlands, not Borderlands

Comment

Apologies Anton, that meant to read as percentage of population, Ukraine having a larger population by far at the time. And the Kazakhstan population was far more of Russian ethnicity post famine.

Comment

Ursus: Right. That's the one.

Lang Spoon: Ah, got you. Yes, could well be.

Comment

Working...
              X