No announcement yet.

Frankie Boyle's New World Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With Sadowitz, it isn't always an act. I've never met anyone so utterly determine to sabotage his own career.

I wouldn't mind but then he blames everyone else for his fuckup.

Was once involved in booking him for a club. Fuck trying that again.

Comment

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I didn't mean I could live with jokes about minorities, it was that I didn't think his jokes (the ones mentioned, I can't say I'm enough of a fan to know all of them) were 'about' minorities - in that they weren't the butt of the joke. It's a thin line to tread though.

Comment

Heres the thread that EIM mentions above.

Includes an excellent story from garcia on page 2

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
          With Sadowitz, it isn't always an act. I've never met anyone so utterly determine to sabotage his own career.

Yes, it doesn't do him - and Boyle even less - any good blaming anyone else.

Back in the late 80s, I had a chat with Malcolm Hay, who had interviewed Sadowitz for Time Out; he told me that he'd never met a comedian who had such a downer on human existence, and that he couldn't easily tell what was him, and what was his 'comedy persona'. I've since been hauled up on stage by Sadowitz - I'll write a book on the pheomenon of me getting pulled on stage by comics one day, as it's happened to me with Rich Hall, Jo Brand (twice), Ivor Dembina, Al Murray, and some American fella at Glastonbury - and roundly traduced. I liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
            Heres the thread that EIM mentions above.

Includes an excellent story from garcia on page 2
            Thanks for the link (and it's the first time I've looked at the old forum since the change. Interesting.) I see that page 9 tells the Mandela gag in full.

Yes, we're going over old ground here. I think I joined the forum about that time, but can't be bothered to check the thread to see whether I made the same points. Or, indeed, different ones.

Comment

That is a great, great post by garcia.

The absent bastard.

Comment

Not sure I buy the contextualisation makes Frankie less offensive argument

Comment

I'm delving into that old thread now for the first time, it being fractionally pre- my time on the last board.

My first impressions are that I'm fascinated and a little dismayed at how many OTFers over the first few pages seemed to think that Rebecca Adlington bore some kind of 'responsibility' to stand up and be counted in the media in response to Boyle's remarks about her. Why should she have had to do that? From what I recall, she did nothing to invite his low-rent comments about her in the first instance. And for him then to say that people should 'get a life because there are so many greater issues' (or whatever) comes across as a pretty redundant argument, given that it is he that initially chose to focus on somebody's looks to get an easy laugh.

It feels a bit after the fact to say it, but if you're going to make jokes about the Fritzl case, then it's pretty obvious who your target should be: clue - it isn't the victim/s. (As for the stuff about Down's Syndrome, well, perm what I said upthread here.)

Sorry, but at the risk of repeating myself, punching down is lazy and soft targets are generally the resort of the cowardly: I'm not for censorship, but, you know, if you have these skills you should work harder and do better. This is why somebody's attempts to parallel with Chris Morris don't really work: what Morris (usually) does is a very carefully-crafted lampooning of how the media portrays, presents and sensationalises 'difficult' issues. He's a completely different type of comedian obviously, but Boyle isn't making any such point, or going any real distance when he deals with this stuff as far as I can see.

None of which means that I haven't on occasion laughed at some of his lines.

Comment

Frankie boyle seems to have grown up a bit, and settled down. It helps that he's got a series of programmes that allow him to focus his tremendous powers of negativity on the cavalcade of cunts that make up our political class, so he's no longer in a situation where he has to make jokes about topical news figures.

Comment

I was living abroad at the time so never saw or heard anything about him, and for that reason I doubt that I would have read the original thread.

The first I really got to see him on TV was the election autopsies that he did which were political and, bar the odd joke, quite satirical. I've watched some of his stuff since on YouTube and it's like a Jerry Sadowitz tribute act designed to cause offence, very different to the political and maturer stuff he's doing now. I feel that he's remodelling himself and looking up to the ruling classes for his targets but his dodgy past is getting in the way.

Comment

I read that entire 10 page previous thread. A good dissection of all the issues there. Agree with what Jah says a few posts up this thread too.

Boyle is a body fascist.

Comment

Thanks, but I was perhaps making the mistake of using the present tense back there. Boyle seems to have moved on a tad.

Comment

That was a great thread on the old board, lost myself for an hour there. Fuck, Garcia (and Mr Bubblebath), a big loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                              Has he still got a column with them? I thought he'd ended that.
                              Irrelevant if true.

Once a cunt, always a cunt.

Never forgive.
                              Never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
                                Yes, it doesn't do him - and Boyle even less - any good blaming anyone else.

Back in the late 80s, I had a chat with Malcolm Hay, who had interviewed Sadowitz for Time Out; he told me that he'd never met a comedian who had such a downer on human existence, and that he couldn't easily tell what was him, and what was his 'comedy persona'. I've since been hauled up on stage by Sadowitz - I'll write a book on the pheomenon of me getting pulled on stage by comics one day, as it's happened to me with Rich Hall, Jo Brand (twice), Ivor Dembina, Al Murray, and some American fella at Glastonbury - and roundly traduced. I liked it.
                                Ah yes.

Al Murray.

Another CUNT prepared to shill for the S*n newspaper fronting their "Britain's best pub" promotion.

Comment

Al Murray is very twitter pally with the shit on a stick tv historian Tom Holland. And batshit ultra Unionist Prof Jill Stephenson. His 4real smug liberal persona is even more unpleasant and piss annoying than his bullshit bigot act. Fuck him right in the ear.

And just as Boyle once wrote for Jimmy Carr, Boyle also has jobbing hacks to supply him with funnies. Which means he might have actually paid good money for his worst sub-Manning stuff.
                                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 07-07-2017, 18:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

You're not the only person to have told me this.

Something along the lines of "so many people tried to help him and he'd just shit on them"

Comment

Well, I'm giving Sadowitz another go. I've had tickets for a gig of his three times and each time he has cancelled, so if he cancels this Saturday at the Soho Theatre, then a) you know who to blame and b) I'm going to take it very personally.

"Card Tricks With Inappropriate Patter". That title makes it sound like my perfect show.

Comment

That sounds a bit like the show that he got me up on stage at; if he tries a 'card-diary' trick with somebody, please try and work out how he does it, it's baffled me for years.

Comment

The title of the New World Order is a bit fascist. I would be much happier if the presenter were Jeremy Hardy and the title had some degree of sanity, but the time the Beeb made those types of programme passed during the 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
                                            That sounds a bit like the show that he got me up on stage at; if he tries a 'card-diary' trick with somebody, please try and work out how he does it, it's baffled me for years.
                                            I'd have to see it again, but bloody hell that was impressive.

Superb show. He crossed several lines as expected but he's so damn smart doing it.

Comment

Working...
                                            X