Frankie Boyle's New World Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frankie Boyle's New World Order

He's done three episodes on BBC2 on a Friday night, I think it's pretty good. Sarah Pascoe and Katherine Ryan are the panellists and there have been a good variety of guests.

I know the general feeling on here about him is mixed but I'm generally a fan.

The bits on his own are generally better than the bits with his guests, but he is generous in giving time to them all. And Benjamin Zephaniah was very good, I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
      The bits on his own are generally better than the bits with his guests, but he is generous in giving time to them all. And Benjamin Zephaniah was very good, I thought.
      I was watching it on catch up and it was the contribution of Benjamin Zephaniah that prompted me to start this thread. I find Ryan very weak, she said nothing during the ten minutes dealing with Grenfell Tower for example. I think there's been a conscious effort made to have two women panellists which I think is positive.

Comment

I've seen interviews with him and he seems quite intelligent. I just find his humour to be a bit too much crude and not enough wit. If he could get the balance a bit better he might be on to something.

Always liked the Sarah Pascoe, but have never understood the purpose of Katherine Ryan.

Comment

This is pretty good

Comment

https://youtu.be/0MRz9RPlsDQ

This shows him to be quite intelligent and eloquent about the state of UK TV.

Comment

He understandably wants to do more than nasty one liners on blokey quiz shows (his Guardian/Facebook columns are very good) but the BBC seem loathe to commission single act stand-up comedy series. I wonder the extent to which the format is one he could get backing for, the row of guests giving it a superficial resemblance to a larky quiz show, rather than his own first choice. I saw a couple of warm up shows for this material and the laughs were more consistent with it delivered as an unadorned comedy set.

Katherine Ryan makes Alexander Armstrong seem underemployed. Sara Pascoe is very good.

Comment

The first two episodes had an expert on to talk about something didn't they, in addition to the comedy guests? Sara Pascoe is very good as first chair (I liked her book as well) and the guests have been good except for the aforementioned.

His columns have good points and jokes but, as the Horse has previously said on twitter, they read like like a series of one liners rather than something well written.

Comment

Echo the above, pro Pascoe and anti Ryan - I sense it's partly BBC woman quota filling and partly Boyle needing female chaperones to get the commission and keep the crudity levels down.

It has to be said that May, the Tories, DUP and Trump are providing some great material for Boyle's comedy, and it was good to hear Pascoe sharing my queasiness over Corbymania.

Comment

Frankie seemed to go very dark after exiting Mock the Week. His sketch show for C4 went well over the line several times. I'm amazed he's back on the BBC really.

His satire can be painful to watch because he is often bang on. He'd do wonders on a political talk show but no sensible politician would dare go near him for fear of looking dumb.

Comment

I'd take his current woke persona easier to stomach if he hadn't lined his nest making fun of Harvey Price, calling women ugly, and using the n word.

Comment

In the piece with Richard Osman, he tries to defend the Harvey Price stuff. Rebecca Adlington too. Osman is not convinced.

When has Frankie Boyle been racist?

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                          In the piece with Richard Osman, he tries to defend the Harvey Price stuff. Rebecca Adlington too. Osman is not convinced.

When has Frankie Boyle been racist?
                          It was in a joke aimed at the MOD and their selectiveness with regard to who they bomb. He won a libel case against the Mirror when they accused him of being racist.

Comment

That's what I mean about the dark stuff. He needed to learn there are some places you don't go if you want doors to be open in the future.

If he came out and said sorry for those things rather than trying to justify them I'd have more respect for him.

Comment

Don't have a television.

But as the man accepts coin from the S*n newspaper I wouldn't watch it anyway.

Comment

Tramadol Nights was less of a comedy series, more of a breakdown in transmitted form.

I think the guy has a wonderful turn of abusive phrase, but I tried watching NWO and the presence of Ryan and Pascoe detracted from it horribly. The presence of the former does feel like the worst kind of Shazia Mirza like quota-filling. And I hate using the words "quota filling" but... there are plenty of good female comics out there who don't have the same agent.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                                  the man accepts coin from the S*n newspaper
                                  Didn't know that. That's a fucking shame.

Comment

Has he still got a column with them? I thought he'd ended that.

Comment

While I think Boyle has talent, I have little truck with aggressive comics who 'punch down'.

There are plenty of deserving targets out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                        Tramadol Nights was less of a comedy series, more of a breakdown in transmitted form.
                                        It really was the most bizarre thing, wasn't it? Then again, if you've read My Shit Life So Far you'll know that this is a man who believes he writes his best stuff while completely shitfaced.

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                        The presence of the former does feel like the worst kind of Shazia Mirza like quota-filling.
                                        There are far more egregious examples of this than Katherine Ryan, who has at least made me laugh very occasionally. If you look up box-ticker in a dictionary, it's just a transcript of every routine Shappi Khorsandi has ever done.

Comment

I find Ryan just utterly average.

And don't get me started on Shappi bloody Khorsandi. I once said, quite loudly, "Oh fuck off" in a train when listening to the Infinite Monkey Cage and she came on.

Comment

I think Boyle's great, and like him all the more he goes for the dark stuff; all of his stuff has to be contextualised - particularly the stint at The Sun - which he does, in interviews and in his book. I don't think he punches down so much as down, up and all around, and he's certainly as cruel - for what it's worth - about the looks of men as well as women. I wouldn't defend every gag he's made, but I can live with those alluded to above.

Then again, probably my favourite ever live comic line was Jerry Sadowitz walking onto the Glastonbury comedy stage in (I think) 1989 and opening with 'Nelson Mandela - what a cunt, eh?' - so there's about where I tend to set my bar.

Comment

The column with the S*n is discussed in that video with Richard Osman isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
                                                I think Boyle's great, and like him all the more he goes for the dark stuff; all of his stuff has to be contextualised - particularly the stint at The Sun - which he does, in interviews and in his book. I don't think he punches down so much as down, up and all around, and he's certainly as cruel - for what it's worth - about the looks of men as well as women. I wouldn't defend every gag he's made, but I can live with those alluded to above.

Then again, probably my favourite ever live comic line was Jerry Sadowitz walking onto the Glastonbury comedy stage in (I think) 1989 and opening with 'Nelson Mandela - what a cunt, eh?' - so there's about where I tend to set my bar.
                                                I'm sure you 'can' live with them - you aren't the minority being targeted. I personally think that it's pretty crap to fish for laughs simply by making ignorant remarks about people with disabilities: that isn't 'edgy' or 'ground-breaking' so much as it reinforces stereotypes and plays to the lowest common denominator - we don't do racist jokes, why are we still doing this? All I'd say is that if you are planning to go there - well, you're going to need to find a far more original angle, IMO.

Sadowitz I don't think constitutes a parallel here because he's so obviously a grotesque - the unyielding, indiscriminate offensiveness 'is' his act. And has been for thirty years.
                                                Last edited by Jah Womble; 03-07-2017, 18:10.

Comment

There's an 8 page thread on World somewhere where we all agree that Boyle is a fucking cunt. I'd link to it, but nothing more needs to be said really.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X