Baseball cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I have another question...

I've bought a few joblots of cards, including some Padres only ones and some more general ones just for fun. What I've noticed is that there tends to be a lot if cards from the mid 80s to the early 90s, say 1985 - 1992. But then very few from the mid 90s.

In the lot I just bought there were the following:
    1985-93 = 99 cards
    1994-2000 = 18
    2000-2010 = 17
    2011-2016 = 29

I know there was an explosion in card production at the end of the 80s and then a contraction in the market. Is that why cards from the late 90s and noughties are less common in clearance lots/ bargain packs etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
      So I have another question...

I've bought a few joblots of cards, including some Padres only ones and some more general ones just for fun. What I've noticed is that there tends to be a lot if cards from the mid 80s to the early 90s, say 1985 - 1992. But then very few from the mid 90s.

In the lot I just bought there were the following:
      1985-93 = 99 cards
      1994-2000 = 18
      2000-2010 = 17
      2011-2016 = 29

I know there was an explosion in card production at the end of the 80s and then a contraction in the market. Is that why cards from the late 90s and noughties are less common in clearance lots/ bargain packs etc?
      That's probably it, yes.

Comment

The 94 strike (which led to the cancellation of the World Series) is generally the marker for the bust, but supply had already well exceeded demand. What the strike did was to convince many of the new companies that had entered the market after Topps lost its monopoly that they couldn't making money producing cards after all.

Comment

I've just seen the Panini cards in my joblot aren't officially endorsed by MLB and players have suspiciously plain hats and shirts. It also explains why they use city names in the little blurbs on the back.

Two of the cards are from licensed set releases from the Baseball Hall of Fame and are nice. The Prizm cards are the ones that look weird.

Comment

So I've sorted through the lot and integrated them into my collection. I had 32 swaps but a couple were in better condition so I upgraded.

I need some more file sleeves now and maybe another file. I'm thinking of filing them by make.

My Tony Gwynn cards are separate in their own collector folder. I've got 47 in there. I've got over 900 Padres cards in total now. Not many compared to serious collectors, I know, but I'd be surprised if there's a bigger collection in Cardiff.

Comment

Oops, 33 swaps and a total of 861 Padres cards.

Fewer than I thought so I'll have to buy some more.

Comment

So I've sorted through the lot and integrated them into my collection. I had 32 swaps but a couple were in better condition so I upgraded.

I need some more file sleeves now and maybe another file. I'm thinking of filing them by make.

My Tony Gwynn cards are separate in their own collector folder. I've got 47 in there. I've got over 900 Padres cards in total now. Not many compared to serious collectors, I know, but I'd be surprised if there's a bigger collection in Cardiff.
                That's the finest collection of San Diego Padres cards in all of Wales. A worthy achievement.

Comment

There is a decent chance I will get some of my collection out of storage in the next 12 months, and would expect to have some early Padres for you when I do.

Comment

Ditto.

I should have a fair amount of Padres doubles/triples from 1975 Topps and a smattering of others from the 70's I can send you.

Comment

Wow. That would be brilliant. I have a couple from the 70s but not many.

Comment

PT, just sent a PM to ya.

Comment

Read and replied, Cal. (And thanks)

Comment

In a charity shop today I found a Topps team set of the Boston Red Sox from 2010 for £1. It was unopened.*

The David Ortiz card is notable for showing him gloved and reaching for a ball. An odd picture for a designated hitter famous for hitting home runs.

Comment

It isn't this one?

Comment

Nope. Different pic altogether

Comment

Strange, as that is the 2010 Topps Ortiz

You must have a variant.

Comment

I know people used to buy the team packs because they had different pictures. I will check when I get home as I'm away tonight.

Comment

In other news a friend has just got back from the USA send brought me back four packs of cards. She's going to give me them on Thursday. Happy days!

Comment

My friend gave me the packs. Highlight was a Bowman rookie card of Aaron Judge who is big news at the moment. There were two Topps packs and I got a 'Rediscover Topps' overprinted old card in each one. I got one Padre across all 4 packs which is about par for the course.

Comment

And I also got a miscut card. The print is decidedly off centre and there is a small bit of another card along one edge. Not sure this is worth anything.

Comment

I've found a UK Baseball Card group on Facebook. I'm the only Padres fan on there and people seem very happy to offer me stuff.

Comment

I've found a UK Baseball Card group on Facebook. I'm the only Padres fan on there and people seem very happy to offer me stuff.
                                              Having recently got back on facebook, I've discovered there are a lot of groups like that. I guess FB is trying to take a piece of ebay's action. I'm on a Reds' memorabilia group. I don't really want to spend money, but it's interesting to see what people have. Mostly, they expect you to live in Cincinnati and pick the stuff up locally.

I may also need to start a group called "Reds fans who recognize that Pete Rose is a bad guy"

Comment

This year Topps has unilaterally decided to ditch the Indians logo in favour of a huge red C. Which means I thought the Indians cards I had in the packs I opened were Reds cards.

Because a big red C makes more sense being for Cincinatti than for Cleveland. To me anyways.

Comment

Best response to my post on FB introducing myself to the group was "Quick everyone, unload your Padres before he changes his mind!"

Comment

Cleveland have been slowly transitioning to the C for several seasons in response to MLB's increasing distaste for their racist mascot

Comment

Working...
                                                    X