• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The blue harken back to their roots in the Pacific Coast League

That's an excellent site for Padres' uniforms in general

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
      As an aside, you really need to be drinking the Tony Gwynn themed 394 Pale Ale from Alesmith, if you can find it anywhere. Not only is it Padres and Gwynn themed, it's also delicious.

It even comes in the correct colour scheme

(I am happy to find that I'm not the only one on OTF who follows the Padres)
      I love the look of that.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
        The blue harken back to their roots in the Pacific Coast League

That's an excellent site for Padres' uniforms in general
        Pardon my total utter ignorance on this but would baseball cards have been produced of the Pacific Coast League in that time?

Comment

You betcha.

The Mother's Cookies sets were very popular in the 50s

Comment

The brown and yellow have nostalgic value, but are pretty dated and ugly, to be honest. And I'm over 30.
            Those blue and white ones are nice, but the Dodgers already have that look. I liked the light-blue on dark-blue or the blue and orange. They need to pick something and stay with it for a while.

I got a hat with the swinging friar when I saw Padres-Jays at Petco about eight years ago. It's my favorite logo.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
              Some of them may get into collecting later. We grew up in an era when collectables started in childhood because they were cheap and accessible (stamps, cards, comics etc.) That time has vanished, or is disappearing rapidly. But it wasn't always the case, and may not be again. There are newer areas of collecting that are too expensive for kids but are attracting young adults. A friend of mine has being trying to buy an accessory for a 1950 camera (not a particularly rare or expensive camera) but he tracked it down for $109 on eBay (it cost less than $2.00 in the 1970s.) The market for old photographic equipment is burgeoning. It's not driven by people who want to use it, but by those who want to collect it. The same is true for typewriters, and sewing machines. The mechanical age is gone, and the romantics who missed it are fascinated by its artifacts.
              My great grandfather's job for a long time was going around Cincinnati and servicing and selling check-writers and electric pencil-sharpeners, the height of office technology at the time. I have one of the pencil sharpeners. It's black plastic and aerodynamic. A beautiful design. It's really noisy. Somewhere my dad still has a few more and a few of the blade thingies. But this one still works pretty well. Mostly sentimental value for me, but it is really cool.

Comment

Tony Gwynn went to my high school.

Comment

I had an electric pencil sharpener for years. Every studio did, no idea what happened to it. I think grip-pencils with replaceable leads basically killed off the market.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                    I had an electric pencil sharpener for years. Every studio did, no idea what happened to it. I think grip-pencils with replaceable leads basically killed off the market.
                    I love pencils. Much more than pens. I have bad handwriting. I think my hands are too big for pens or something. I can control pencils better and I need the erase function.
                    I like to carry mechanical pencils for work or general purposes outside the office, but I prefer a sharp wooden pencil otherwise. If I were working in a studio, I think I'd rather have the pencil sharpener.
                    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 07-07-2017, 15:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                      Tony Gwynn went to my high school.
                      That's so cool!

Joe Hart (England goalkeeper) went to mine (Not contemporaneously)

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                        I love pencils. Much more than pens. I have bad handwriting. I think my hands are too big for pens or something. I can control pencils better and I need the erase function.
                        I like to carry mechanical pencils for work or general purposes outside the office, but I prefer a sharp wooden pencil otherwise. If I were working in a studio, I think I'd rather have the pencil sharpener.
                        I prefer to write with a pencil too. I rarely use a pen these days, notes and first draft in pencil then onto the computer. I associate wooden pencils, especially coloured ones, with my Dad. He'd bring stubs and half-used ones home from work for my sister and I. We thought they were so cool, everyone else was using Crayolas.

Comment

I associate pencils with editing and colouring; I've barely used one to write since we were first allowed to use pens.

On the now rare occasions when I do need to write a card or note, I am often depressed to see that my once very good handwriting has deteriorated further.

Comment

The one card I should have bought in 1987 when it was less than $20 - now worth a lot more...

My wife's all time favorite player.

I have every other card of his from 1985-1992, in fact I have 10 of his 1985 Topps Rookie which cost me close to $120 over time and now would get me around $15 for all 10. I can't be arsed to pay $15 to get one of these cards graded and slabbed, given they are likely worth less than the cost of grading them. And you can't keep slabbed cards in an album eh ?
                            Last edited by Exiled off Main Street; 07-07-2017, 19:56.

Comment

I'm at a point in life where in the next few years I will be ready to sell/unload my cards. 95% of mine are from 60s to 80s, with the bulk being from the 70s. Mostly baseball, but a fair chunk of NFL, NBA, and NHL. I'm not at all interested in having the cards 'graded' though I may have to w/ some of my more valued cards (including 2 Gretzky Rookie cards in excellent shape). There are not any quality card stores in ABQ, so I'd likely have to sell at a card show or online.

I have a complete set of 1970 Topps MLB - this was the first year I collected cards. Al Kaline (high number) was my last card to complete the set and I bought for a fair price in Cooperstown, NY. I also have a complete 1975 Topps MLB that I pretty much completed by buying craploads of packs.

Those were nice baseball card stories, Exiled and PT - when I was in England in 1979 I picked up some Topps "football" cards of this variety:

I also have a complete set of this English football card (67/68) series:

Any idea of the value for them? I bought them for $5 in the late 70s via an ad from a NYC card store.
                              Last edited by Cal Alamein; 07-07-2017, 19:19.

Comment

A complete 67/68 set could sell (on Ebay) for over £175 I think. Although the market has dropped off considerably the past 2 years. I know from experience in trying to sell mine...

Comment

So I've finally got to looking through the lot of Padres cards I bought off eBay. (Which I might have only mentioned on the mundane thread before.)

Anyway it was quite a nice mix of newer cards (2016 Topps) and as I suspected a bit of filler. A lot of Topps 1990, Fleer 90 etc.

Some nice ones though including Panini Cooperstown cards of Tony Gwynn, am autograph insert card of Chris Young and a jersey patch insert card of Trevor Hoffman. Several other insert cards and heritage retro stylee ones. Also some O-Pee-Chee cards, which is a make I hadn't had before.

Comment

O-Pee-Chee were/are Topps' licensee in Canada. Topps also licensed their hockey cards in the US.

Comment

I saw the Made in Canada. I like the Anglo/French bilingualism.

Comment

OK. So in the joblot was a card of a player in a Padres uniform but the card actually says Giants on it because he'd just moved to the Giants in the close season. Do I count this as a Padres card or not?

Eagle eyes Mrs Thistle spotted this when she looked through them on my behalf the day they arrived.

Comment

You playa the game

You makka the rules

Comment

What would you do Ursos?

I've got a 'Padres' card that shows a player in an Indians outfit. That's equally problematic.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                              OK. So in the joblot was a card of a player in a Padres uniform but the card actually says Giants on it because he'd just moved to the Giants in the close season. Do I count this as a Padres card or not?

Eagle eyes Mrs Thistle spotted this when she looked through them on my behalf the day they arrived.
                                              That is interesting if it is a fairly recent card. I remember four ways Topps used to deal w/ the off season trade:

1. Airbrush the cap/uniform - often w/ ludicrous results for even my young self.

2. Can't find player/manager in correct uniform or cap? Just airbrush the logo for a plain looking cap.

3. Have player pose sans cap.

4. Have player look up so that we only see below the bill of the cap and no logo.

As Ursus says, you call the shots.

Comment

Padres wearing the throwbacks in Philly tonight

Comment

They also have the rare feeling of an early lead (although it's not as rare as having a lead late in the game).

I believe they always wear the lovely throwbacks on Fridays, the same as always wearing the appalling camo on Sundays.

Comment

It is a recent set. Upper Deck 2008 I think.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X