No announcement yet.

Baseball cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's still on all the shirts in the pictures on the cards though.

Anyway, just bought the complete Padres baseball set of 2017 Topps Heritage and most of the regular 2017 Topps base set.

Chap is also going to look me out the 1983 Topps and Don Russ sets with Tony Gwynn's Rookie Cards.

Comment

Thus the "transition".

There are a lot of local yahoos who are fierce in their defence of Wahoo.

Comment

I see what you did there.

I can see why Wahoo is offensive. I wonder whether there was another way forward. Maybe if the team were involved in supporting First Nations projects or gave the local tribe a seat on the board or something. Maybe I'm just hopelessly naive.

Comment

Just bought some more cards. Mainly relics and parallels...

Comment

2 envelopes of cards turned up in the post today. Mrs Thistle has rumbled me.

She was impressed with the bat relic though.

Comment

I also have a large collection of priceless early 90s baseball cards.

Comment

I found out recently that there's a term for the 86-94 card explosion - the Junk Wax era. Overproduction was the key, as many of those cards are now worthless. I've been trying to get a couple complete Topps sets, and most seem to go for about $20, sometimes even less (still mad I forgot to put in a bid on 89-91 sets that sold for $9. Combined).

Also, orange and blue are the most aesthetically pleasing Padres colours, but they don't do much to dissuade my feeling that the Padres exist primarily so expats from the Bay Area and Los Angeles can see their Giants and Dodgers without having to drive too far. At least brown is uniquely San Diego.

Comment

What's weird though is trying to find cards from the late 90s. The market contraction was rapid.

Comment

Got some more cards in the post today. The Topps 83 Padres with Tony Gwynn's rookie card. This was before they plastered rookie cards with rookie logos.

I'm also taking part in my first "box break" tonight. I was way down the draft list but nobody wanted the Padres so I could choose them anyway.

Comment

Well the box break didn't go great for me. Very few cards. But I won a 'box topper' that someone else wanted so was able to set up a trade. Ho hum

Comment

A friend of mine brought back a couple of bundles of mixed baseball cards from the states for me. Some nice ones in there. Love the randomness. In between junk wax era Fleer are recent inserts and Topps Chrome cards.

Comment

PM for PT

Comment

Revised total, after several recent purchases, trades and gifts from people = 1,147 Padres cards.
                            Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 31-08-2017, 23:04.

Comment

Excellent

Comment

PT - Your message box is full - have news on cards......

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                Revised total, after several recent purchases, trades and gifts from people = 1,147 Padres cards.

Comment

So a couple of weeks ago I bought 3 relic cards, one each of Tony Gwynn, Trevor Hoffman and Dave Winfield. Today a small packet of Topps 2018 arrived. All Padres with a foilboard variant in the mix.

The 2018 Topps design has been nicknamed "the water slide" because of the design across the bottom. It looks OK in the Padres colour scheme and miles better imo than the 2017 design.

Comment

Got some more cards in the post today. I'd bought a Manny Margot relic someone had put up on one of the Facebook groups for UK collectors. The seller included 3 shiny Bowman cards. 2 actual Padres and a kid prospect. I always wonder about the kids they put on these cards - it would be like having members of the Chelsea academy on a Panini sticker.

Comment

Can you invite me to the FB group?

Since my post, I've gotten my hands on the 1989 and 1991 Topps sets, as well as the Giants and Red Sox sets of the 2018 Topps series 1.

Bumgarner is not in Series 1 this year. I detest it when card companies do this.

Comment

UK Cards https://www.facebook.com/groups/1488447951419437/

Baseball cards UK
                                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/113710189303708/

There's a lot of crossover. Just apply to join.

Comment

I'd not bought any cards for a while. I got given some for Christmas and one retail pack actually had a relic insert card in it - an Indians player. First time I'd ever got a relic.

Then last week I bought a job lot of Tony Gwynn cards off eBay which included some nice insert cards and a load of base cards that I hadn't hitherto had (DonRuss and Score but also a couple of Topps ones as well). I now have 171 cards in my Tony Gwynn folder with a few relic cards in my relic folder as well.

I'd like to collect 394 different cards in honour of the .394 season. I think that would be fun.

Comment

That's a great idea and may actually be possible without duplication given the number of different sets produced during his career.

EDIT: Definitely possible.

TradingCard.db is ridiculous
                                            Last edited by ursus arctos; 17-01-2020, 21:19.

Comment

Thanks Ursus. I have a few similar ones if there was, say, an opening day and regular base card, or a parallel.

Comment

Comment

I like "posed" cards.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                    That's a great idea and may actually be possible without duplication given the number of different sets produced during his career.

EDIT: Definitely possible.

TradingCard.db is ridiculous
                                                    Ha! When I've done 394, I can aim for his career hit stat next (3,141).

Only 135 home runs. He was a batter, not a slugger.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X