Village cricket 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Village cricket 2017

Went to my first village cricket match this afternoon for... something like a quarter of a century, I expect. Big game - Scothern (my Mum's home village) against Market Rasen (my old home town). They play 50 over games now (was always 40 overs when I played for Rasen 3rds as a lad - and that was more than bloody long enough), and this was the Lincs County Premier League, which sounds like quite a high standard on paper.

When I got there Rasen were being tied down by some tight Scothern bowling and were eventually all out for 85 in the 44th over. Scothern started to knock off the runs and were soon 35 without loss after just a seven or eight overs. But 'Mattie', a left arm, round-the-wicket leg spinner with great variations of bounce and pace, started whittling through the order and Scothern got nervous. The batsmen became progressively crapper as Scothern edged towards the total, and in the end they only scraped through with two wickets to spare in the 34th over, taking about 10 overs to eke out the last 15 or so runs. Mattie bowled unchanged from the start and took seven wickets. I worked out that even in my prime he'd have taken three or less deliveries to suss me out and remove me.

It was breezy and sunny and I didn't stir from my bench under a tree for three hours - probably the most relaxing Saturday afternoon I've spent since about 1974.

2018 update. Not quite village, but I played for Anzacs against Pedagogues in Nairobi on Saturday. Hit three sixes in three balls. While on MDMA. It felt really good.

Comment

I saw my local club East Molesey win their derby against Esher in the National Club T20 Cup on Monday. It was my wife's birthday and the cricket club is a bit of a social hub so it was a lovely few hours with friends watching The Moles' endearingly shonky attempts at replicating big league T20 atmosphere, including my 11 year old son handling DJ duties for a few overs.

However, the real news was in the one day league game on Saturday. Chasing 240 at home to Sunbury in a game designated part of the Surrey Championships 50th Anniversary (the teams being two of the four founder members playing in the Premier League), East Molesey were all out for 28. This included bowler Kevin Smith's spell of 9 wickets for 8 runs in 8.3 overs. No batsman scored more than eight, six batsmen falling for ducks and Smith bowled five of his victims while having another leg-before. The total almost threatened the previous low in the Championship of 21 set by...er, East Molesey against Mitcham in 1970 but the 11 extras this time around saved them from that ignominy.
      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 30-05-2018, 13:57.

Comment

I see that there is a club in that competition that shares a name with our apartment building.

They’ve beaten East Molesey too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
          I saw my local club East Molesey win their derby against Esher in the National Club T20 Cup on Monday. It was my wife's birthday and the cricket club is a bit of a social hub so it was a lovely few hours with friends watching The Moles' endearingly shonky attempts at replicating big league T20 atmosphere, including my 11 year old son handling DJ duties for a few overs.

However, the real news was in the one day game on Saturday. Chasing 240 at home to Sunbury in a game designated part of the Surrey Championships 50th Anniversary (the teams being two of the four founder members playing in the Premier League), East Molesey were all out for 28. This included one bowler, Kevin Smith's spell of 9 wickets for 8 runs in 8.3 overs. No batsman scored more than eight, six batsmen falling for ducks and Smith bowled five of his victims while having another leg-before. The total almost threatened the previous low in the Championship of 21 set by...er, East Molesey against Mitcham in 1970 but the 11 extras this time around saved them from that ignominy.
          A fine name - he's clearly destined for great things. I see that Sunbury's number three is no less a man than Slammin' Sam Burgess, too. Though East Mosley have a Sam Burge.
          http://surreychampionship.play-crick...esults/3302477

Comment

Working...
          X